Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2021, 06:15 PM   #196
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Only what I (and others) have been saying: yes, if you're just in the mood for some kind of book, one might be every bit as good as another.

But in many cases, you want ("need?") a specific book, then you're not going to get the same feeling of pleasure out of any other.
(the pleasure of completing the multi-book story you're in the middle of, the pleasure of passing the class because you bought the right text book, the pleasure of reproducing the recipe you loved because you bought the cookbook that HAS that recipe in it...whatever....) .
Whole lot of conflating going on, it seems to me. Pleasure deferred is still pleasure and perhaps even greater, and why someone “needs” to read another book in a series, rightnow, is beyond what I’d consider a need. Unlike passing a class for which you’ve already paid beaucoup buckaroos, to use another of your examples.

Readers read. They also have preferences. But it’s not so granular as all that, that they can’t get as much pleasure from a book they already own as they wait on price developments on the latest best seller. And if it truly is that one single book, they’ll probably find the wherewithal.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:47 PM   #197
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I suspect we'll just have to agree to disagree on the appropriateness of the word "need."

Beyond that, I'll have to take DD's play and speak only for myself personally. I do not take as much of the particular sort of pleasure I'm talking about in reading a substitute for a particular book that I really wanted to read. (Not even if it turns out that I happen to love the substitute...that's a DIFFERENT pleasure. For me.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:10 PM   #198
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

Beyond that, I'll have to take DD's play and speak only for myself personally. I do not take as much of the particular sort of pleasure I'm talking about in reading a substitute for a particular book that I really wanted to read. (Not even if it turns out that I happen to love the substitute...that's a DIFFERENT pleasure. For me.)
Absolutely fair enough. As for me, I often stretch out books that I’m particularly looking forward to; once they’re read, they’re read, while the anticipation is entertainment in itself.

Still. I can’t help thinking that for someone who reads a lot, the transitory pleasure of even the most desired book is subsumed in the ongoing pleasure of one’s daily reading. They can’t all be most desired.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:55 PM   #199
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not sure I follow.

I better change it then.
Quote:
"Why is a duck?"
My an answer

"Because it is"
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #200
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Absolutely fair enough. As for me, I often stretch out books that I’m particularly looking forward to; once they’re read, they’re read, while the anticipation is entertainment in itself.

Still. I can’t help thinking that for someone who reads a lot, the transitory pleasure of even the most desired book is subsumed in the ongoing pleasure of one’s daily reading. They can’t all be most desired.
I think this is where I fall in. I LOVE being able to finish up one book and be able to immediately open another! Are all the books I have the most desired, of course not, and if it's too bad I simply stop reading it and open another of the 2,240 books (and costantly being added to!) that I have on all my gadgets. It also helps that I love rereading favorites.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote