Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Other Books

Notices

Old 09-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Balzac, Honoré de: Father Goriot (Old Goriot, Le Père Goriot). HTML 20 September 2007

This is part of his Comédie Humaine series but can be read equally well on its own. A great introduction to Balzac's work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Père_Goriot

I have formatted the text with curly quotes and apostrophes, italics, French accents etc for those who appreciate these things, as well as correcting odd typos.

It's best read in a serif font (I've set Georgia as the preferred font). If you don't have a serif font on your pda you can add one by copying a font from a Windows computer (look for a .ttf file in the Fonts folder) and copying it to the font folder in your pda.

The markup is almost valid xhtml - almost because I have used the mobipocket 'pagebreak' a couple of times. This should be ignored by other software.

Please let me know about any formatting problems or typos or accents I may have missed. And I'm curious to know whether the styles are rendered on an iPhone so if anyone tries this on an iPhone please let me know if it looks OK.

Feel free to convert to lrf or whatever.

[edit: I spotted a typo so I've uploaded again]
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Balzac_Father_Goriot.html.zip (217.4 KB, 1171 views)

Last edited by andym; 09-21-2007 at 03:17 AM.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've already done lrf and mobi versions; though there's no reason why someone else shouldn't do another.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2007, 03:32 AM   #3
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I've already done lrf and mobi versions; though there's no reason why someone else shouldn't do another.
Patricia

I did most of the work on this before you posted yours.

A more general point though is that not all devices support prc and lrf.
My personal preference is for html texts, because I have the flexibility of reading them on a Mac, and keeping open the option of reading on an iPod Touch if I decide to get one, or converting to ePub to read on Digital Editions when they bring out a version for pdas.

I understand the reasons why the people on here who upload in prc and lrf don't want to upload html, and given that you all seem to be already Sony users uploading prc versions as a public service there's no reason why you should upload a third version. But I think there should be some well-formatted html texts on here as well, so that's where I will be putting my effort.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote