Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
cbedgar
cbedgar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App on MacBook & iPhone
What do you use the "Date" metadata field in Calibre for?

I am pretty new to Calibre, and I am still setting up and organizing my library. I am mostly looking for a eBook cataloging system, and Calibre seems to do a nice job handling hundreds of eBooks, maybe more. I like the way Calibre imports metadata for each of the books I load into Calibre's library, and I especially like that I can include data from Worldcat.

As I review and complete the metadata for each of my eBooks, I notice the date field is initially set to the date the eBook was loaded into Calibre. I read in the documentation and in the forums that this is very helpful for some people.

But the date field is really just a generic date, and could be used for just about anything. I have been using it for the date I purchased or acquired the eBook. I read that some people us this field to track date one started reading or the date one finished.

I am not sure how I want to use this field, and I am curious as to how other folks use this field and how useful they are finding the information they are tracking with it. What do you use the "Date" metadata field for?
cbedgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Date is auto filled by Calibre when you Add that title.
I prefer to leave it alone YMMV
If you need another date field (like Date Read), use a custom column instead
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:39 AM   #3
RodMyers
Enthusiast
RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Lux 5
I use the date field to see when I added ebooks.
RodMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Sorting in some cases, nothing else. I prefer not messing with default fields.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is how and why I sometimes use it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=154

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote