Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
iatheia
Zealot
iatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Icarus Illumina XL, Boyue T62
Thinking of upgrading Boyue T62

My current ereader is Boyue T62 that I had for a couple of years. I am still fairly happy with it, but would consider upgrading sometime this year if there is something viable. I haven't really been following what devices have been coming out in the last couple of years, or what is scheduled to come out, so would appreciate some advice.

My specifications:

-- TTS ability is a must. Bluetooth is better in addition to rather than instead of a proper headphone jack. This is my biggest sticking point.
-- I like physical buttons. I tried once a buttonless ereader, and it was skipping every other page, which made me swear off the entire experience.
-- I love Calibre Companion, so something with an open Android OS (either natively, or something that is relatively straightforward to jailbreak) would be preferred. Closed ecosystems make it harder to organize and search for the books.
-- Size doesn't particularly matter, but 6" is nice and handy, I don't have a particular need for something bigger.
iatheia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
I don't watch every single vendor; so this is just my opinion. You'll have to do your own research to be sure; but I don't think there is anything more recent than what you already have which fits every one of your criteria.

There might be ones which are android (so you can have Calibre Companion), and a headphone jack... but not physical buttons. (Likebook?) Or there might be ones which have physical buttons and TTS via headphone jack ... but aren't Android/no Calibre Companion (Pocketbook Touch HD2 or HD3?).

I can say that my current favorite is the Pocketbook Touch HD3. It can do TTS via Bluetooth; it doesn't have a headphone jack built-in, but it does come with a dongle adapter. It does have physical buttons. I can't install the android app for Calibre Companion... but I can get to my Calibre library via the Web Browser and download books that way. (or of course, plugging it in/side loading over usb from Calibre on the computer itself)
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert