Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Personally, (if I had abused a retailer by returning a lot of expensive items that I had not intended to keep in the first place) I wouldn't have the hubris to whine about suffering justified consequences that I had fully earned.

That's just me though.
Once again, this thread is not about why Amazon might choose to close someone's account, but what happens to the digital goods for which they have bought over the years, perhaps thousands of pounds worth.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice

Further posts about why Amazon might choose to close someone's account will just be deleted without notice or comment.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Assuming, for now, that Amazon's 2012 statement is not a bald-faced lie, I admit I've often wondered what form that "continued access" to ones library would take. Would devices previously registered be able to still access/dowload content? What would happen if the user then deregistered a device in such a scenario? I'll be very interested in hearing any "official" clarification on the subject. I admit that I can't see any situation where continued library access with a flagged account wouldn't be precarious at best.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Assuming, for now, that Amazon's 2012 statement is not a bald-faced lie, I admit I've often wondered what form that "continued access" to ones library would take. Would devices previously registered be able to still access/dowload content? What would happen if the user then deregistered a device in such a scenario? I'll be very interested in hearing any "official" clarification on the subject. I admit that I can't see any situation where continued library access with a flagged account wouldn't be precarious at best.
That brings up a good point. Would it just be the devices that have access and you cannot actually log in? In that case (in the US) you would not have access to Kindle eBooks via Overdrive if you were not allowed to log in via a computer. If you could no longer access Kindle eBooks via OD, then it would be time to move on to an ePub capable device that can handle OD ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #20
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My understanding is once your account is closed & your current device [ereader] Crashes that is the end! Since they will Not allow any more Devices be added to the account. So they still have control over weather or not you can get to the ebooks you have bought....sneaky. They save face but still in the long term block you from them.
There seems no answer to Movies or Audibles. Which I Paid for a Lot... & would Love to continue to buy. IF you know the answer to this Let me know.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 10-12-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #21
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This could be a significant problem in the longer term for a closed account, even if access is provided to the ebooks. If I get a response from Amazon, I shall raise this issue too.

It seems to me that it's not unreasonable to expect to be able to register Kindles (& Fires) bought second-hand or from a non-Amazon retailer to be registered, even to a closed account.

Although personally, if my account got closed, I would make sure I had everything downloaded and then move to a different device. (Thanks to Alf and calibre.)
If your account got closed you may not be able to download and move to a different device if your books are KFX books. If you can't login to Amazon.com, you can't download to transfer by usb. If you can't register new devices or apps you can't download to K4PC if you don't already have it installed. If your hard drive or pc fails you can't register again. It really depends on their definition of you continue to have access to your digital content.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That brings up a good point. Would it just be the devices that have access and you cannot actually log in? In that case (in the US) you would not have access to Kindle eBooks via Overdrive if you were not allowed to log in via a computer. If you could no longer access Kindle eBooks via OD, then it would be time to move on to an ePub capable device that can handle OD ePub.
You've done better, Jon. Your segue from topical to irrelevant (but completely expected) epub proselytizing in a Kindle forum wasn't particularly smooth that time.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #23
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
The regular .com site doesn't mention Kindle books. It does say you will no longer be able to log onto sites using your Amazon login, including audible.com.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=565164
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
You've done better, Jon. Your segue from topical to irrelevant (but completely expected) epub proselytizing in a Kindle forum wasn't particularly smooth that time.

Is it ever particularly smooth?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #25
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
I would hope that even with a closed account that you could still download all previous content through Kindle for PC, and then sideload all content to any new reader you would have. So you could get around the issue if they don't allow you to register a new reader you purchased elsewhere.

Of course if you're a customer that doesn't know about Alf or even how to sideload books and always relied on Amazon to just stick it all on your Kindle, not sure that's any consolation.

But this is speculation on my part, I don't know anyone who had their account closed. While I don't think I'd ever get my account banned, I'm curious too what it really means for access to your existing content.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #26
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I do with they had some very clear laid out rules for such things. I mean I have been buying kindle books since 2008, that is a lot of books and a lot of money over all these years. I just don't know the legal stuff with all these things. Isn't there some small print somewhere that what we are actually buying are licenses to read those books on our registered devices? But if one cannot register a device, then one cannot even use a license they paid for to read those books.

That doesn't even get into the issue of audible and also movies and TV shows purchased. I have those too. Wouldn't that be theft if they basically take away the option to view items you paid for? Or even paid for the license to view. Wouldn't it have to say on each receipt for each such item that in the event of one losing access to the account, items will be what, forfeit?

It is a bit worrying to be honest.

And I also pay for the cloud drive that now went up in price for the unlimited. Without the amazon account, one cannot sign in there either and will potentially lose documents and files. Or would they still let one download those. I guess that doesn't need a device. But what if they won't even let someone sign into the account anymore at all.

Yikes.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #27
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I would hope that even with a closed account that you could still download all previous content through Kindle for PC, and then sideload all content to any new reader you would have. So you could get around the issue if they don't allow you to register a new reader you purchased elsewhere.
But you have to register Kindle for PC by logging into your account via the app. If you log out of the app, and your account is closed, can you log back in?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #28
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
But you have to register Kindle for PC by logging into your account via the app. If you log out of the app, and your account is closed, can you log back in?
You're right, I was assuming you already had the Kindle for PC registered, which I think most Kindle owners would have. But building a new PC then might become the problem, I didn't think that far enough ahead. But at that point I would hope anyone who had their account banned would have the sense to immediately download and Alf all their books, if they hadn't already been doing that routinely for every purchase.

But if Amazon really doesn't let you log into your account at all, there would be no way to access the content. So I'm guessing there must be a way to still log in but with strict limitations on your account for no purchasing, posting, etc.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #29
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
BTW My Audible are Connected to my ebooks as I Love Immersive Reading. Purple Lady Thanks! But What your saying I Wont be able to get into my Audible means No more Immersive Reading
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #30
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
A sort of 'read only' account... with a double meaning... so you actually could read your books?

I really think they'd probably make it an all or nothing proposition, though, no partial access.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote