Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #256
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I have Prime. The free shipping is nice, but what really sells it for me is the free photo storage. My photos get automatically sent to the cloud when I'm on WiFi. I don't use Prime Video that often, it seems rather scattered. Prime Music is a nice bonus.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #257
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I have Prime. The free shipping is nice, but what really sells it for me is the free photo storage. My photos get automatically sent to the cloud when I'm on WiFi. I don't use Prime Video that often, it seems rather scattered. Prime Music is a nice bonus.
Google also offers free unlimited photo storage. If that's your primary use case, you could save yourself $120 a year.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #258
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
After doing some more sniffing around, I've discovered that one of the fulfillment centers nearest to me was structurally damaged by a severe storm several months ago. Some friends saw something on the local news about portions of the roof being torn off. That more than likely has something to do with it. I'm just wondering if it will be repaired and things will eventually get back to "normal." Or if it will be easier to write it all off as a loss and this IS the new normal. Of course, I'm hoping for the former, but I'm not holding my breath.
Fingers crossed, DiapDealer!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #259
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Google also offers free unlimited photo storage. If that's your primary use case, you could save yourself $120 a year.
Yep. Love that google photos app.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #260
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Fingers crossed, DiapDealer!
Thanks! Nothing would please me more if things were to go back to the previous "normal."

And on that front ...

I don't want to jinx it, but when placing an order on Thursday, June 14th (well after noon, even), I noticed that the guaranteed delivery date (if I committed soon) was for Saturday, June 16th! I hadn't seen a two-day guaranteed turnaround for weeks!

Still, I didn't want to get overly excited, because I was previously getting two-day guarantees followed by shipping delays. But when it shipped that very same day, I couldn't help but get a little bit excited! When I checked the tracking info, I saw that it had shipped from the fulfillment center near me (the one that I'd previously mentioned I discovered had been extensively damaged by a severe storm)! None of my orders had originated from that facility for months.

It's out for delivery right now and if it indeed makes it today (and it should), it will mark the very first order for well over three months that had a true, two-day turnaround from order to delivery.

If things get back on track, I'll be ecstatic. But if the problem truly was a damaged facility that had to be routed around for a while, one has to wonder why (especially after multiple complaints) they couldn't have simply explained that. What's the downside to a customer-centric company telling a customer that the fulfillment facility in their area is temporarily out of commission?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #261
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
As I've already said, lately I've been quite satisfied with Amazon's meeting promised delivery dates. In contrast, I'm having an odd experience with Walmart. I placed an order the other day and was initially given a delivery date of June 19. The e-mail telling me the order had shipped gave me a delivery date of June 15. So yesterday I checked the tracking info and saw a delivery date of June 16. And today the tracking info says my package will arrive June 19--the original date Walmart gave me.

I was perfectly content with the June 19 date in the first place; oh, Walmart, why did you raise my hopes for an early delivery only to dash them???
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #262
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
As I've already said, lately I've been quite satisfied with Amazon's meeting promised delivery dates. In contrast, I'm having an odd experience with Walmart. I placed an order the other day and was initially given a delivery date of June 19. The e-mail telling me the order had shipped gave me a delivery date of June 15. So yesterday I checked the tracking info and saw a delivery date of June 16. And today the tracking info says my package will arrive June 19--the original date Walmart gave me.

I was perfectly content with the June 19 date in the first place; oh, Walmart, why did you raise my hopes for an early delivery only to dash them???
Amazon did this to me recently.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #263
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Free unlimited if you allow google to compress them
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #264
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
And Prime Photos includes storage of raw image files.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #265
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Free unlimited if you allow google to compress them
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
And Prime Photos includes storage of raw image files.
I do understand the limitations. But then, I guess you'd have to ask yourself if that alone is worth $120 a year. For me, it isn't. And I would think for most people, Google's photo option would be good enough, though they may not know about it as Samsung and other phone makers assign their gallery app as default and most users don't explore beyond that.

I've had several people in my family lament the loss of photos when they switched phones (including my better half and my mother-in-law).
Old 06-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #266
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do understand the limitations. But then, I guess you'd have to ask yourself if that alone is worth $120 a year. For me, it isn't. And I would think for most people, Google's photo option would be good enough, though they may not know about it as Samsung and other phone makers assign their gallery app as default and most users don't explore beyond that.
I've been paying $50/60 a year or so at www.smugmug.com I used to pay more when I shot professionally and sold prints. Works as a gallery and off site backup.

And I take advantage for the free Google photo backups (accepting the compression) and I have Amazon Prime photo backups, and Microsoft 365 "included in the subscription" photo backups...and my iCloud photo backups.

The one that matters is smugmug. The rest are just free, or included in the price services from OTHER services I pay for.

So yes, I would not buy Prime just for the photo backup. I get my Prime subscription's worth just from the free shipping. Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime photos are just "nice to have extras"...and Prime reading...that I haven't really used yet.

Lee
Old 06-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #267
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
You can subscribe to Google Drive (soon to be renamed to Google One) for $20 or $30 per year (100 gigs of storage and 200 gigs of storage, respectively), to keep uncompressed photographs if that is your sole reason for an Amazon Prime subscription.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #268
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparition B5 View Post
You can subscribe to Google Drive (soon to be renamed to Google One) for $20 or $30 per year (100 gigs of storage and 200 gigs of storage, respectively), to keep uncompressed photographs if that is your sole reason for an Amazon Prime subscription.
I'm waiting for 3-4TB to drop to $10-15 a month. At that point it'll be worth it for me to back up all my stuff online (in addition to the back-up hard drive I currently use). OneDrive's Office 365 plan would almost work for me, but my understanding is the 5TB is split into 1TB per user.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #269
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
I'm waiting for 3-4TB to drop to $10-15 a month. At that point it'll be worth it for me to back up all my stuff online (in addition to the back-up hard drive I currently use). OneDrive's Office 365 plan would almost work for me, but my understanding is the 5TB is split into 1TB per user.
That is correct. Then again, I've never asked them what it would cost to have 3 more TB added to one account.

Still, you couldn't find a good tb partition for your data? ZodWallop_Photos, ZodWallop_MovieRips, Zodwallop_EBooks,
Old 06-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #270
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Still, you couldn't find a good tb partition for your data? ZodWallop_Photos, ZodWallop_MovieRips, Zodwallop_EBooks,
I probably could, but it's too much of a hassle at this point. I expect the price to drop eventually and I don't mind waiting.