Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2016, 03:28 PM   #16
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Talking Similar problem but now solved !

Hi to all, and particular greetings to all those who have helped me in the past!

Since i got my Kobo Glo HD I have been having problems being recognized by my Mac on MAC OS 10 El Capitan (10.11.5 at the moment). This seems to be the same problem you are having, Tommass.

I have noticed that changing cables seems to help sometimes but this is not a reliable solution. Perhaps you might try it though.

I have noticed that if I have the patience to leave the Kobo Glo HD connected for quite a while (I mean for hours!!) it sometimes seems to be recognized and appears on the screen of the Mac and I can then sideload documents and books.

I should add that my KObo Aura HD is recognized without any problem, as is my Kobo Aura.

The flickering effect and the "incorrectly disconnected" messages which Tommass mentioned also appear irregularly when the Kobo Glo HD is connected but not when the other Kobos are connected.

The Kobo Glo HD charges (proving that it is indeed connected) even though it is not recognized.

I can't offer any other help, but I would like to know if other users have had this problem and found a solution.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I opened disk utility, as indeed Josieb1 had suggested above (advice I had not taken into account — my bad!) and found that the Kobo was recognised in a faint grey mode. I ran SOS disk and the Kobo was recognized. I am not sure if this is permanent but it might be a solution for you Tommass or others: that is why I'm leaving this post, even though my problem is solved.
Best,
Rojofo.

Last edited by Rojofo; 06-26-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Adding information
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #17
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm not instructing you that it's your responsibility, or assigning fault or blame. Neither you or I control what Apple and Kobo do, so user-to-user I was offering one possible fix. Which is what this forum is for.
Thank you for trying to help. i didn't mean to belittle your attempt.

Last edited by ssholloway; 06-27-2016 at 05:57 PM.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #18
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojofo View Post
PROBLEM SOLVED!
I opened disk utility, as indeed Josieb1 had suggested above (advice I had not taken into account — my bad!) and found that the Kobo was recognised in a faint grey mode.
I'm glad it worked for you. Unfortunately, disk utility doesn't see my device at all so it can't do a repair.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is with Apple. You update OS X and you take your chances on things breaking. And break some things will break. Kobo follows industry standards for connecting to USB and Apple is the one who broke things, NOT KOBO. Complain to Apple for their screw-up.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
The last time I connected my two Kobos to my Mac neither were recognised, they didn't even appear in disk utility. Luckily hubby has a W7 laptop so i used that instead (my Calibre is held in Dropbox so available on either device). I've not tried again yet.

A USB key connected fine so it seems to be just with the Kobos
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:41 AM   #21
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, Josieb1, have you tried a "soft reset"? Just putting a paper clip into the little hole at the bottom of the Kobo Glo HD. This helped me when mine was not recognized. Hope this helps.
Rojofo.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #22
ssholloway
Connoisseur

Update on El Cap issue

After updating to 10.11.6, my Mac Air is able to see the Glo HD again. The release notes indicated there was a fix for a USB connection issue in uploading pictures from an iPhone so maybe that bug impacted the Glo as well. However, I can't be sure the OS update is the sole reason I can now connect since I hadn't tried to do anything with the Kobo for over a month and other things have changed on my system in the meantime. YMMV.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:57 AM   #23
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssholloway View Post
After updating to 10.11.6, my Mac Air is able to see the Glo HD again. The release notes indicated there was a fix for a USB connection issue in uploading pictures from an iPhone so maybe that bug impacted the Glo as well.
This is good to know, thanks for the update.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:02 AM   #24
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssholloway View Post
After updating to 10.11.6, my Mac Air is able to see the Glo HD again. The release notes indicated there was a fix for a USB connection issue in uploading pictures from an iPhone so maybe that bug impacted the Glo as well. However, I can't be sure the OS update is the sole reason I can now connect since I hadn't tried to do anything with the Kobo for over a month and other things have changed on my system in the meantime. YMMV.
Just for another datapoint - I updated to 10.11.6 today (from around 10.11.3 or so), and my H2O connected just fine.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:43 AM   #25
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Hi all! Long time no see!
Yesterday I got a new computer, a Macbook Pro mid 2012 (yes, they still sell them) and among all the things I did was to go with my Calibre database from my former PC to the mac. I tried everything in the book, updating the machine, Calibre and the reader, switching cables, and turning to disk utility. The computer and Calibre see the reader and the card, but there's a sign that there's comm problems with the device. I also booted up my old Windows PC and it worked great, no issues.
Both volumes mount, get to the desktop, Calibre sees them but is unable to write to them.
Since my library is on the cloud, I'll resort to that in the meantime, so if anyone has anything new, please post it.
I'm using a Kobo Glo, El Capitan v 10.11.6
This is the error report
calibre, version 2.69.0
ERROR: Error: Error en la comunicación con el dispositivo

CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 503, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1690, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 159, in device_database_connection
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:51 AM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
Hi all! Long time no see!
Yesterday I got a new computer, a Macbook Pro mid 2012 (yes, they still sell them) and among all the things I did was to go with my Calibre database from my former PC to the mac. I tried everything in the book, updating the machine, Calibre and the reader, switching cables, and turning to disk utility. The computer and Calibre see the reader and the card, but there's a sign that there's comm problems with the device. I also booted up my old Windows PC and it worked great, no issues.
Both volumes mount, get to the desktop, Calibre sees them but is unable to write to them.
Since my library is on the cloud, I'll resort to that in the meantime, so if anyone has anything new, please post it.
I'm using a Kobo Glo, El Capitan v 10.11.6
This is the error report
calibre, version 2.69.0
ERROR: Error: Error en la comunicación con el dispositivo

CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 503, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1690, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 159, in device_database_connection
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
That is usually a sign the device hasn't been mounted properly. Can you use finder to see the ".kobo" directory and the database file? That is "KoboReader.sqlite". And can you write to the device from the OS?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:14 AM   #27
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
@susaz: As .kobo is a hidden folder, you should try this command in the terminal first. All hidden files will be visible then.

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE && killall Finder
The following command will hide those files again:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE && killall Finder
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #28
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Guys, worked like a charm. @trekk I think your code helped so much. In business! Thank you soooo very much!
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10.11, aura, el capitan, mac