Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
javajoe
javajoe began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Purchased BN EPUB - now cant view in my 505?

I just purchased a book from BN (I didnt want to be limited to the Sony bookstore). The file is a EPUB format and I was able to load it into my 505 Reader via Calibre.

But when I view it, its says page protected??

What do I need to do to view it? Did I buy the wrong format?
javajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Nicocys
Nicocys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I guess it's DRM protected.
Try opening it first with adobe digital editions, to see if it works.
If you want to get rid of these drms, just try this blog : link removed

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 12-06-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: please don't post direct links to sites providing tools to break DRM
Nicocys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by javajoe View Post
I just purchased a book from BN (I didnt want to be limited to the Sony bookstore). The file is a EPUB format and I was able to load it into my 505 Reader via Calibre.

Your Sony doesn't support the form of DRM used by B&N ePubs. In order to read your book on your 505 you'd need to remove the DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
B&N uses a password-based DRM scheme, with your credit card number as the password. To read a B&N ePub on other devices, first use the "ignoble" scripts to strip the DRM. If your reason for stripping DRM from an ebook you bought is to read it on another reading device, then this is likely legal in the US. In any case, who would care (given that you have paid for the ebook and are are not giving it to anyone else)?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You've got a DRM-restricted ebook. Yet another reason why DRM is bad.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I've always wondered why Trading Standard laws in most countries don't oblige ebook stores to clearly warn potential buyers: *DRM restrictions apply*. Best. Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #7
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by javajoe View Post

If you want to buy epubs that work on your Sony Reader (or any other Adobe ADEPT device), you'd better stick to the Sony or Borders ebookstores. B&N uses a slightly different scheme, as described above.
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Or, of course, you could buy DRM-free epubs from fine booksellers like Neilmarr above. There are quite a few independent publishers of various sorts who are selling DRM-free ebooks; enough so that between them and public domain ebooks, I already have a TBR list good for several years despite the fact that I refuse to buy DRM-restricted ebooks on principle.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Or you could check out ebooks from your local library for free (the library fees/taxes pay for the books, so the artists are getting compensated).
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
You can also try the new ebook store from Books-A-Million at

http://www.booksamillion.com/ebooks?id=4631559986177
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote