Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Collections on PRS-505

I update the metadata for a series of books in Calibre (running under Linux), setting the correct sequence for the various books. I then load the series of books onto my Reader's SD card as a bulk upload operation. Works like a charm (thanks Kovid! )

When I browse a collection on my Reader, I would hope to see the books in that collection in sequential order. This doesn't happen.

I thought that the Reader displayed books within a collection in the order that the books were added to the Reader (although I may well be wrong on this point). Is there any way of getting the Reader to recognise the correct sequence, or am I stuck with the prospect of adding books one at a time in the correct order?

Thanks,
Ian
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
hairybiker
Banned
hairybiker began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
It works for me, I select the series I want to send (IN ORDER) and send to device (My default it to the memory card A) and when I look on the 505 it is all in order, if I look under the series rather than by Author. (Under Mint 9 64bit Calibre 7.x)

My only fault that has happened recently is that if I delete a book from the sequence and it is the last one the series, the series is still on the device.

i.e. Read series, deleting books after I have read them (using the delete form the menu), then after finishing the series is still listed but with NO books in it.
hairybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
I update the metadata for a series of books in Calibre (running under Linux), setting the correct sequence for the various books. I then load the series of books onto my Reader's SD card as a bulk upload operation. Works like a charm (thanks Kovid! )

When I browse a collection on my Reader, I would hope to see the books in that collection in sequential order. This doesn't happen.

I thought that the Reader displayed books within a collection in the order that the books were added to the Reader (although I may well be wrong on this point). Is there any way of getting the Reader to recognise the correct sequence, or am I stuck with the prospect of adding books one at a time in the correct order?
Calibre sorts series collections in series order, and other collections in title-sort order.

What version of calibre are you using?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairybiker View Post
It works for me, I select the series I want to send (IN ORDER) and send to device (My default it to the memory card A) and when I look on the 505 it is all in order, if I look under the series rather than by Author. (Under Mint 9 64bit Calibre 7.x)
If you send them out of order, are they displayed out of order? They shouldn't be.
Quote:
My only fault that has happened recently is that if I delete a book from the sequence and it is the last one the series, the series is still on the device.

i.e. Read series, deleting books after I have read them (using the delete form the menu), then after finishing the series is still listed but with NO books in it.
Am I right in assuming that you used the reader to delete the book? Calibre will clean away empty collections when you delete the last book in the collection. If you use the reader or a file manager, then calibre will clean them away the next time you send or delete any book.

Starting with 0.7.9, calibre has an option to be more aggressive about managing metadata. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90204 for more details.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
hairybiker
Banned
hairybiker began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
Yes I am using the reader to delete the book, I always thought it deleted the series when it was empty, but have started seeing it recently, but may be just me.

As to ordering, I always sort before I send I have never sent out of order, since early days when it used to be as sent.

Looking forward to the new version for this option to manage the metadata.
hairybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairybiker View Post
Yes I am using the reader to delete the book, I always thought it deleted the series when it was empty, but have started seeing it recently, but may be just me.
It certainly isn't just you. I was recently surprised to discover that like the 505, my 300 does not delete empty collections when it deletes a book. Apparently Sony expects people to delete them using desktop software.

I found this out by investigating a user's question. I hadn't noticed before because I do all my adding and deleting with calibre.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Calibre sorts series collections in series order, and other collections in title-sort order.

What version of calibre are you using?
Apologies for the delay replying - I'm suffering broadband problems!

I'm only using series collections and I'm currently on calibre 0.7.6. I've just received the notification about 0.7.9, so I'll give that a go and see if things are any different.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
mediax
Readaholic

I've just installed 0.7.9 and tried deleting and reloading a couple of series. They now appear in the correct order on my Reader, which is excellent news!

I do still have several series that are in the wrong order, otherwise I'd think I was cracking up!

I'll reload those and hopefully that will be everything sorted.