Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: RTF and/or HTML viewers for the Iliad? i'd like...
RTF viewer 2 15.38%
HTML Viewer (with last-page, page-break,...) 4 30.77%
HTML and RTF 6 46.15%
HTML or RTF 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Developing an RTF and/or HTML ebook reader dor the Iliad?

Hi!

The RTF matter has come up a few times so far, I think our dearly beloved Scotty1024 has a viewer for it on his Iliad already, but I think nobody else has so far.
I'd really love to have something like that so I can stop juggling around those big and ugly PDf files that I have to preformat every time I start a new book...

Is there any user-friendly way to get a RTF viewer for the Iliad in the near future (how about today Scotty...^^) and what about a useable HTML viewer (or do we still need to wait for the sources of that?)

Let me know what you think!
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader is the best bet. Progress on a port is discussed in the Anyone thinking about a dotReader port? thread. FBReader reads RTF and also HTML, although I typically convert HTML to plucker first. A relatively new addition is CHM support, and in fact almost all the formats on the software wishlist are supported. There are limitations (no tables, no DRM, no annotations), but for pure book reading it is excellent. FBReader is the reason why the Nokia 770 is so popular for e-book reading. The 770 has a great screen, but FBReader is the software that makes it into a viable e-book device.

If you have Linux on a PC, download FBReader and try it out. It is Linux only, but see When a win32 version? for an example of running FBReader under VMware Player.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Well now that 2.8 is out I'll be annotating my RTF soon...

I think iRex has been quiet again about something they've got cooking. As I was re-hacking my iLiad today I noticed they'd added support for mapping icons to file extensions in er_registry.txt.

It could be that I could release RTF/DJVU/Graphic Novel support very soon... with annotation support... but iRex has had nothing to say about this so perhaps not yet.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:31 AM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I think there was a comment from one of the iRex devs in their forum a while ago about the icon thing..but I'm not sure where anymore...so it wasn't entirely unannounced...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:46 AM   #5
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Is there any user-friendly way to get a RTF viewer for the Iliad in the near future (how about today Scotty...^^) and what about a useable HTML viewer (or do we still need to wait for the sources of that?)
Well... Whats stopping people rolling their own version of Minimo...? And once you have a html reader then chm isn't a very big leap..

My current stumbling block is that I have a passable converter chm->html exploder and that currently gives me the functionality that I require, but yep, it would be handy to have something that didn't require conversion.

ChmConverter is available at : http://www.syngrithy.org.uk/index.php?pT=7

Last edited by jęd; 12-14-2006 at 03:48 AM.
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2006, 03:46 AM   #6
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
It could be that I could release RTF/DJVU/Graphic Novel support very soon... with annotation support... but iRex has had nothing to say about this so perhaps not yet.
With statements like this, I much *prefer* Irex release schedules...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:24 AM   #7
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Icons in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I think there was a comment from one of the iRex devs in their forum a while ago about the icon thing..but I'm not sure where anymore...so it wasn't entirely unannounced...^^
Maybe here:

http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=754&highlight=

Matthijs:

"Icons are now only shown for registered filetypes. If you properly register MP3 files to launch with a community MP3 player and setup the icon associated icon in the registry, you're set. "
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote