Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 AM   #1
wizard327
wizard327 began at the beginning.

Device: EBW1150, Kaiser,Iphone,CybookGen3
Question How does PDF read in Cybook

Hi Guys, am new to this forum. I'm inclined to buy Cybook but would like to know first how pdf files perform on this. Does it re-flow the pages or do I need to convert it first? How about the images? I would appreciate any inputs. Thanks
Wizard327
wizard327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Gen3 is excellent as a MobiPocket book reader, but PDF support is extremely poor. If you can convert your PDFs to Mobi format (eg using the Windows MobiPocket Desktop Reader) then fine, but don't buy a Gen3 if reading PDF's "natively" is important to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
but PDF support is extremely poor.
Well, it depends on the kind of PDF you intend to read.

For A4-size, complex PDFs, that's true, the Cybook will show tiny text, hang, display blank figures or pages...

But for PDFs formatted for the Cybook size (for instance, those I have uploaded to the "Other Books" forum), it usually works fine. I miss bookmarks and hyperlinks, though.

I understand most people would expect "PDF" to mean "every PDF file I can find around", but myself, when I bought the Cybook, I wanted it to open the "PDF files I create", so it is good enough for my needs
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A more direct answer to the original question:

PDF pages are basically displayed as images, i.e., no reflow. You can set the "zoom level" to fit height or fit width, and you can also choose a landscape orientation (and then you can sort of "scroll" the page in steps).

As I said, PDFs don't support hyperlinks or bookmarks (yet?), all you have is the "go to page..." menu for navigation.

Images and diagrams embedded in PDFs will display fine provided they are not too large and complex. Colours are converted to grayscale (of course), and light colours may be displayed as white.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
wizard327

Smile

Hey guys, thank you so much for the inputs. I think I'll gonna try the Cybook as Iliad price is way off my budget.
cheers
Advert
Old 06-09-2008, 05:08 AM   #6
wizard327

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Well, it depends on the kind of PDF you intend to read.

For A4-size, complex PDFs, that's true, the Cybook will show tiny text, hang, display blank figures or pages...

But for PDFs formatted for the Cybook size (for instance, those I have uploaded to the "Other Books" forum), it usually works fine. I miss bookmarks and hyperlinks, though.

I understand most people would expect "PDF" to mean "every PDF file I can find around", but myself, when I bought the Cybook, I wanted it to open the "PDF files I create", so it is good enough for my needs
Hi Jelby, thanks for your comment. Just would like to know how you create your pdf files for the cybook. Suppose that I have A4 size pdf with few images and I want to create another pdf file custom-made for the cybook.Any special software for this?
Cheers
Old 06-09-2008, 05:22 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Jelby's talking about creating custom PDFs from, say, Word docs, or something like that. For that, you can use a "PDF printer" and set a custom page size of the Gen3's screen size (120x90mm). That works OK. The problem comes when you have a PDF formatted for A4/Letter page size. There's no way to "resize" a PDF page (other than to do something like chop it vertically or horizontally into two pages).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

HarryT is right, I create my PDFs from the raw text (from Project Gutenberg, for example) with pdfLaTeX. This gives me complete control on the final size, look and layout of the PDF, and I still have the posibility to change the text and format if I need/want to. It does not allow "on the fly" reflow or format change, as I have to "recompile" the document everytime, but I like it my way.

Even though I don't use a "PDF printer", it's a bit like that. With paper, one would have the the text in the computer and then print it for reading, with a given font, formatting, etc. With e-paper, instead of printing to paper, I "print" to PDF. Once "printed", I cannot change the PDF, but I can change the source text and "print" it again.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
wizard327

Thanks so much. Have now a clearer picture what to expect.
Cheers
Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
For custom PDF files and Mobipocket books you can use Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com
The demo PDF files included on the Cybook are from Feedbooks.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #11
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard327 View Post
Thanks so much. Have now a clearer picture what to expect.
Cheers
One thing I might add, is that if you get the CyBook Gen3 , don't upgrade the firmware to the latest version available, if you plan to use it for PDF's.

It while fixing some other problems, breaks the PDF viewing for large no of files. But, the version that comes pre installed, does do almost everything reasonably well.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote