Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #181
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Now that sounds like the sort of comment that Amazon sales should be hearing.
Sorry to hijack this 3d, but when the PW first came out I had lots of expectations about the panel-view and about the fact that Amazon was thinking about comics.
Then I realized that Amazon won't spend a minute and/or a cent on open formats (cbr/cbz). This has a reason in common with the PDF support: they (obviously) don't care about such formats as they don't bring money!
So, in the end, thanks to everyone that helps our kindles!!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #182
luigipirex
luigipirex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And Amazon (if you are buying from Amazon) has a limited time return policy.

So order it, make the video and link to it here, then if you don't like the results, return the device.
The problem is, I'm not buying it from Amazon. I work and live in China, so I'm buying it here, where they cost about $100. The stores here import them from Japan and sell them. So it's not that easy to buy, try and return if not happy.

Just taking a look at how the Paperwhite can handle PDFs with this software would really make a big difference.

Cheers,
Luís
luigipirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #183
MaxStirner
Connoisseur
MaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
How to use Tesseract in Koreader

I have downloaded and installed Tesseract in KOReader nightly but can't see much of a difference with or without it. What for it is used? Does it work or is it just some kind of a testing feature? Can I perform text search in scanned pdfs by using it? Do other languages work or is it just for the english texts?
MaxStirner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #184
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxStirner View Post
I have downloaded and installed Tesseract in KOReader nightly but can't see much of a difference with or without it. What for it is used??
If you also install a stardict dictionary you can use it on (scanned, reflowed) PDFs thanks to Tesseract.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:33 AM   #185
fil9998
Enthusiast
fil9998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
pdf are handled very well by KOreader, reflowed or not.

I have some suggestions.
- addd SEARCH book's title in the list
- option to use amazon's built-in dictionaries
- option to set fonts ' type and dimension for the book list (big fingers cause some mess selectioning a book ... )

- option to use alternative fonts stored in \fonts folder
as -generally speaking- KOReader as well as amazon's choice of fonts is too poor and lacks bold fonts that I find very useful (I use looking glasses)

thank you so much

Last edited by fil9998; 06-09-2013 at 11:10 AM.
fil9998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 05:41 AM   #186
woel
woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigipirex View Post
Hi guys, first post here. I don't want to be a bother, but I've a request to do.

I'm thinking of buying a kindle paperwhite, but I've read less than stellar opinions regarding its PDF viewing abilities... but then, enter KOReader to the rescue. I've got my hopes high on this, but I've only seen a video of kindlepdfviewer on youtube (which looked quite promising) and a few screenshots of KOReader on a chinese website.

So... could anyone post a few screenshots of KOReader in action or, even better, a video on youtube? It would be IMMENSELY apreciated, as I have to read a lot of PDFs and I won't buy a kindle if it can't do that reasonably well. I don't mind fiddling around a little bit, though.

Thank you so much for your attention!
Luis
I don't have the equipment to make a video, but I made some screenshots for you, and uploaded them here: http://imgur.com/a/1NR7I/all. I was unfortunately not able to take any screenshots of the File Manager screen, but it looks similar to the Bookmarks and Table of Contents winows only that it's full screen.

I use a nightly (development/less stable release) from somewhere in the middle of May, but I think the latest stable release has most of these features as well. I find the nightly I use very stable though, except that it crashes to the home screen nearly every time I try to adjust the light level (by holding one finger still and sliding the other up or down). But that doesn't bother me very much; you can just exist to the home screen and adjust the light level there.

Also, you might want to use a newer version, since when you open KOReader through "Start in documents", the Home/House button opens the File Manager, and I believe only the newer versions have an "X" that you can use to exit the app from there. There is a fix posted somewhere in this thread that creates an additional button for exiting the app, which I used before, if you want to use the stable version.

I hope the screenshots will be of help.
woel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #187
luigipirex
luigipirex began at the beginning.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woel View Post
I don't have the equipment to make a video, but I made some screenshots for you, and uploaded them here: http://imgur.com/a/1NR7I/all.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me, woel, I really appreciate it.

A friend of mine is buying a paperwhite next week; I'll jailbreak it the moment it arrives so I can try KOReader personally. I'll write my impressions here later.

Cheers!
Luís
luigipirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #188
richy1989
Connoisseur
richy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & Kindle 4 Black
Is there any way to add a filter with the File Manager?
I have too many books,
but I just want to view the 'pdf' documents with koreader.
richy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #189
nicolausYes
nicolausYes began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 602, Kindle Paperwhite
How can I use Koreader only for pdf, for example?
nicolausYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #190
nicolausYes
nicolausYes began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 602, Kindle Paperwhite
Can it not to be set as the default viewer for all formats? Can I select what files to open with it manually?
nicolausYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #191
Aj74
Enthusiast
Aj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toys

Hi, I'm updating the Italian translation. I have a doubt: "More" command does exactly what?
Thank you.
Aj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #192
Aj74
Enthusiast
Aj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toys

With the latest versions of koreader, the battery lasts much less. Have you had the same impression? or is my Kindle malfunctioning?
Aj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #193
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
I use Koreader on my Kobo Mini and want to change the settings so a tap anywhere pages forward, in the rare occasion I need to page back I still can swipe.
I tried to change frontend\ui\reader\readerpaging.lua, function ReaderPaging:initGesListener(), and there the x,y,w,h-values for TapForward (use whole screen, x = 0, y = 0, w = Screen:getWidth(), h = Screen:getHeight()) and TapBackward (use just one pixel, and that just only since I have to put something there)
But it does not work, looks to me as if these settings were not used. I use page, not scroll.
Am I doing something wrong here?
I am aware that I might get into trouble selecting the two menus, but right now my problem is that my changes do not have any effect at all...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #194
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
nicolausYes: I think KPVbooklet is not prepared to be configured at runtime, only at compile time... So not using that way. And the file browser built into KOReader has fixed values, too - now that we have a "defaults.lua" for manual configuration, maybe we can factor out that for manual configuration.

Aj74: About that "More..." I'm not sure right now, will have to look it up. As for power consumption: I don't see any reason why it should have increased and I did not make that observation. As the main reason for energy consumption is page rendering - are you by chance just reading more compute-intensive documents nowadays? Also, the native system might get in the way. I keep my KPW at an older firmware version and didn't look into newer ones, maybe they brought in new default values...

WS64: I'm not sure and would have to dig a bit to find out. Will take a while, sorry.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #195
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@hawhill: Thanks.
I didn't know how to answer those.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, koreader, launcher add-ons, lua, reader, touch