Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

New iPod touch 5g too thin, bigger screen

Well it has a bigger 4 inch screen but it is ridiculously long and not wide enough for me. They made it 16x9. It will suck for reading as it is too narrow.

They made it too thin again, even thinner than 4g. Forget about good battery life, it will suck as all the other generations did as far as battery.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-12-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

They claim it gets 40 hours of music, 8 hours of video. My feeling is that is pure BS. They grossly overated the battery on all of the previous models. I'll believe it only when I see it.
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Looks like they are focusing (pun intended) on marketing this 5g as a camera/iPod. I hate that. No damn phone is ever going to compete with consumer cameras. They don't have the sensor size or a decent lens. Yuk, Apple, you are going in a different direction and I hate it.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-12-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm definitely passing on the new iPod touch 5th generation. I wanted a thicker (bigger battery) device with a 3 x 4 screen that was bigger. This won't be good for reading, which is my primary reason to have it. definitely not worth the two year wait!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
They claim it gets 40 hours of music, 8 hours of video. My feeling is that is pure BS. They grossly overated the battery on all of the previous models. I'll believe it only when I see it.
Most likely the battery was measured looping a 128k AAC file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

The battery has always been my #1 major complaint on the previous 4 gens. None of them ever got more than 2 or 3 hours of reading time with the LCD lighting set near the lowest setting. Very pathetic. The only other complaint has been that the touches are way to thin. They are difficult to hold, especially with the curved bezel and back and slick surface. I'm not a kid, I want a grown up device.

Oh well, I really didn't need to be spending more money on devices this year!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I feel much the same about iphone 5. long skinny just isnt right for reading. I have an Acer Liquid Metal with a 3.8" screen and its long and skinny too, and I just can't adapt to reading on it (or I would have, long ago), so I am pretty sure I will be getting a 4S instead of a 5, or a last gen iPod, just for reading with, and retain my 3GS iphone for now.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've found that with my previous iPods the stated battery life for music playback has been about right, or even a bit conservative. I do agree with the other posts that the aspect ration on the phone and touches looks very odd, it looks much more exaggerated than 16:9.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Apple announcement could have been an exciting event for me; because I had extra cash aside for new iPod. But, meh. Not so radical update. My 4G will work until next Sept.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
yes, I agree, the screen is too narrow and the battery should be bigger even if it makes it a little thinner!
but I suppose it is an improvement, but a little disappointing

you can get tablets for this price now
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
you can get tablets for this price now
You can get tablets with full high-end smartphone specs at these prices.

Funny how shrinking a 7" tablet to 4"~5" requires a 2-3 times jump in price.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-13-2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: left out the word "get"
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You can get tablets with full high-end smartphone specs at these prices.

Funny how shrinking a 7" tablet to 4"~5" requires a 2-3 times jump in price.
i really can't believe that there are a lot of people willing to pay such a price, even. i heard one of my classmates earlier gushing about how she wanted the new ipod touch because they came in different colors
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i really can't believe that there are a lot of people willing to pay such a price, even. i heard one of my classmates earlier gushing about how she wanted the new ipod touch because they came in different colors
Hasn't she heard about colored cases for $20?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Hasn't she heard about colored cases for $20?
i really have no idea what they're thinking *sigh* those are rich university kids for ya....
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

That's the power of marketing. Apple can get a lot of people to buy a pile of cow poop if they place it in an artsy-fartsy case with their logo on it and tell them it is the best darn cow poop in the world!

Changing the subject now: Do you guys think the rumors of a Mini iPad are debunked? Doesn't look like there will be one. I must admit I always suspected that rumor was highly unlikely to become true. But you never know. However, as our Monkey friend mentioned about the iPt5, the price would be too high. If Apple wants $300 for the lowest end iPt5 with 4" screen, they would want a small fortune for a 7" miniPad since they already sell their maxiPads for a large fortune. (Gotta have some fun with the names.)