Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #91
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT160 View Post
I agree, I really love my "350" (I have 2 of them, bought the second one as a back up) and I use it everyday. It's perfect for my needs as, it fits into all my bags, into a pocket and is light and comfortable to hold.

I also have an iPad but, I don't like reading on it (tried it on 2 occasions).

I will buy a 3rd. "350" if I have to!
I would love to get a second 350! If it had a lit screen I would love it even more, though. I never liked reading on the iPad 2, but I do have to admit that I don't mind reading PDFs on the iPad mini; I really thought that I wouldn't mind perhaps reading a novel on it once in a while (I haven't yet!), but I found that the weight and ergonomics actually make it pleasant to read PDFs such as academic articles. My eink ebook readers are still the best for reading fiction, the 350 being my favourite. (I JUST bought the Aura HD though, and the screen is fantastic).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #92
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Id like to see the Aura hd in person. Can you compare it to the 350? Or the kindle pw or kindle4?
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 03:33 AM   #93
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelmaroon View Post
Id like to see the Aura hd in person. Can you compare it to the 350? Or the kindle pw or kindle4?
I did so in a previous post elsewhere. Here's a partial recap:

The screen resolution, light, page refreshes on the Aura are superior -- a pleasure, really -- and view customization is good (with caveats), but the note-taking options are far more limited than the 350's and the dictionaries less inclusive. The options for using the dictionaries are far more limited and require frustrating extra steps. The options for viewing files are also more restrictive; additionally, file searches default to the Kobo store instead of one's own device.

The Aura would be an excellent pdf reader if its navigation controls weren't so awful -- without that additional strength, pdf viewing becomes unusable for documents longer than a few pages. One particularly misses the 350's page buttons when scaling a pdf. If the Aura had them, pdf viewing would be the most usable on any e-ink reader thus far.

The Aura's screen and processor are clearly superior, but the form factor is more convenient, the aluminum shell more aesthetic and the user options preferable (esp. with PRS+) on the PRS-350.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-11-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #94
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post

The Aura would be an excellent pdf reader if its navigation controls weren't so awful -- without that additional strength, pdf viewing becomes unusable for documents longer than a few pages. One particularly misses the 350's page buttons when scaling a pdf. If the Aura had them, pdf viewing would be the most usable on any e-ink reader thus far.
I know the form factor and size are on the other hemisphere compared to the 350, but have you used a PRS-950?
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #95
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada View Post
I know the form factor and size are on the other hemisphere compared to the 350, but have you used a PRS-950?
Yes, I own a PRS-950 and used to love it. The Aura's screen is quite a bit nicer than the 950's, but it isn't a perfect replacement for it either.

One reason I bought an Aura was because my 950 often chokes on a page turn when I'm doing a live reading -- that's a problem I can't afford to have more than once a night, let alone several times in ten minutes. Unfortunately, my Aura sometimes chokes as well even though the processor is far, far faster. The Gaseous Vertebrate is effectively telling me to buy a tablet.
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #96
feelmaroon
Connoisseur

Thanks, p.

I really like the look of the prs 950.

Someone mentioned night reading and this is blasphemy i know but I use a nexus 7.there's an app called moonreader that has autoscroll. I literally just get the right speed via volume toggle and the screen rolls automatically pixel smooth with sepia as a background. Will always prefer e-ink but the nexus screen is very sharp to me and handless reading in bed is good for falling asleep to.

There's a feature in prs+ that allows the reader to auto page turn after set times. Does anyone use it?

Last edited by feelmaroon; 06-11-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #97
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelmaroon View Post
There's a feature in prs+ that allows the reader to auto page turn after set times. Does anyone use it?
I use it at times on my 350, usually when eating messy foods so I don't muck up the reader, and it works great. I set my reader to activate it by touching anywhere in the upper left corner within a book, touch the area again to shut it off.

I wish it had a selection box to enter your own exact number of seconds before a page turn, but for me and font choice on my 5", every 10 seconds works. It has a setting for every 10 seconds, then every 15 seconds after the 60 second mark, increasing by 30 seconds after the 120 second mark.

But it does work great for those times you don't want to (or can't) touch the screen or even the buttons.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #98
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Yes, I own a PRS-950 and used to love it. The Aura's screen is quite a bit nicer than the 950's, but it isn't a perfect replacement for it either.

One reason I bought an Aura was because my 950 often chokes on a page turn when I'm doing a live reading -- that's a problem I can't afford to have more than once a night, let alone several times in ten minutes. Unfortunately, my Aura sometimes chokes as well even though the processor is far, far faster. The Gaseous Vertebrate is effectively telling me to buy a tablet.
Haha, yeah I saw the 950 listed under your avatar after i posted. I was just curious, because I see them pop up at Bookoff in Japan now and then.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #99
feelmaroon
Connoisseur

i picked up another prs650 and just added prs+ to it. i'm having a strange issue perhaps someone can help me with? i've done this to two prs 350's and my original 650 and this is the first time. In regard to the epub css fonts, the alignment, line height and font size don't do anything (the ABCD font option) and only the 1-6 works. Whats strange is that all the fonts i have work just fine, just no control to change the line height and font size. any ideas or fixes via calibre or otherwise? stumped and can't figure out what this is the only prs i own that is giving me this issue. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #100
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Does it do that on all books? or did you check just one book?

If a book has embedded fonts specified in its own stylesheet, you'll have to remove the embedded fonts. The Sony stylesheet (even the default Sony font) can't override embedded fonts within a book. No reader can.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #101
feelmaroon
Connoisseur

Don't know if this was right or not but i reinstalled prs zork version again and now it seems as though the height and font size is working. Hopefully I didn't mess it up by installing prs+ zork chess on top of itself.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #102
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

You've got it, feelmaroon: Installing Zork and a compatible iteration of PRS+ allows you to bypass font size limitations. I've yet to open an epub file on any PRS+/Zorked x50 that didn't allow that option -- and I've opened hundreds upon hundreds.