Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #61
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post

I've even given up my monthly stop for magazines as they're all available digitally.
I haven't purchased a paper magazine in years. Decades even. But now that there are so many available on the iPad, I have several subscriptions. For me it's a much nicer reading experience, and I don't have to carry the things to the recycle bin.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #62
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I didn't quite answer the original question in my long post. I still enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the serendipitous discovery in brick and mortar stores, but e-books and online shopping in general have diminished that. Bookstores are no longer the special destinations they used to be.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #63
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
I've even given up my monthly stop for magazines as they're all available digitally.
This is one switch I am in the process of switching back from. I have an iPad3, with the great resolution etc, but somehow, I just can't read mags on the iPad.

I have subscriptions to nine magazines. They come to me via Zinio and Apple's Newstand. They include major magazines and niche magazines. All of them basically ape the magazine format, without availing themselves of the possibilities inherent in the digital world.

For example:

1. If you've tried out the DC Comics app, you know that by an appropriate tap, you can go panel by panel through the comic. The panels refit to the screen, taking into account the orientation of the device. Yet not a single one of the mags I get makes it possible to adjust the content in any similar fashion. About the best you can do is unpinch to enlarge the page, then move it around to the place where you want it.

2. The ability to share articles, or even copy & quote paragraphs or sentences, does not exist. It seems to me that the people who publish these magazines simply don't grasp that "sharing" is targeted advertising for the magazine. For instance, it should be simple to allow clipping & sharing, while at the same time including advertisements and subscription come-ons. And why don't the publishers allow each subscriber to "share" an issue in its entirety to a couple of other people, as "free samples" or simply to recognize that digital magazines which are "passed around" might lead to new subscribers (ala all those blow-in suscription cards in pmags)?

3. There's no "interactivity" connection. No built in "letter to the editor" functionality. No comments functionality, either in the issue itself, or linked to a web page.

4. None of the magazines have an interactive contents page - they are all linear. I have to page through to what I want to read. I don't understand why the apps aren't designed so that you can tap a contents entry to go directly to the article, and then return to the table of contents. I don't understand why the reader can't select a view which gives him only the first page of each article, and allows him to page through those first pages, then drill down into a specific article by taping that first page. I don't understand why the reader can't select scrolling or pagination as the method to read an article.

5. Why don't these magazines, via their apps, allow the reader to select articles of interest from all issues of the magazine, as well as issues of other magazines, to be compiled in one "favorites" section, ala Pocket or Instapaper? That is, why don't these magazines allow for "clipping and storing" articles of interest?

6. And why can't they be printed? The reader should be allowed to select and print, for instance, recipes contained in an article.

Now, perhaps some magazines are doing these sorts of things, but not the ones I have. The ones I have are simply transferring the pmag to the digital world, and in the process, making the mags MORE linear rather than less, and leave them with LESS immediate accessibility & functionality than a pmag has.

So I am gradually drifting back to the paper versions.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
So I am gradually drifting back to the paper versions.
The paper versions tend to be cheaper too.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #65
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I stopped buying books from B&N long before I transitioned to ebooks, preferring to get them delivered from Amazon.

I still buy mag's n comics once in awhile.. I still like the feel of them
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #66
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
I still buy mag's n comics once in awhile.. I still like the feel of them
I just can't go digital on comics--I love holding them, and I tried reading digital versions and hated it.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #67
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I know my Kindle Keyboard isn't good for reading comics on. Maybe the Kindle Fire or one of the other models but not the Kindle Keyboard.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #68
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I haven't been in a bookstore for a very long time. I still borrow hardbacks from the library occasionally, but I do much prefer to read on my Kindle.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #69
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 09-05-2012 at 04:44 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #70
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
I just can't go digital on comics--I love holding them, and I tried reading digital versions and hated it.
I feel the same way. I love holding the comics, smelling them.. etc. Vintage

But at the same time, I like reading Emotobooks.. and they are only digital. So I like both mediums.. just some I like to hold, and some I like digital.

I love both worlds
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #71
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I love shopping for e-books and queueing up library e-reads to wait for, and nabbing freebies when I see them here, but I still love sitting in the library with a book.

I was never much of a bookstore buff, but sitting in the library, was my ultimate introverts hangout.

But yes, with the internet being one big giant bookstore, it's so easy to find good deals on books.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #72
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
Local bookstores can't compete and I'm not willing pay an extra $8 per book just to support them. But I will be sad when they close.
In some cases yes. I still like printed books. It's nice having a readable book that expects to outlast my gizmos- I expect real books to cost more and don't mind it if it's a title I really want to keep forever. That having been said, the physical books are fewer and farther between.

I've bought a few books for my son, and the anticipation of them arriving in the mail just for him was nice.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #73
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I gave up sleep today just to wait for UPS to deliver my husband's psychology textbook. This made me think how much easier buying it from a store would have been. Although the price difference is what kept me from doing that. $200 for the text book locally or $170 with Amazon Student Prime. I went with Prime and Amazon got the book here overnight. Classes start Saturday of all days.

I can't see paying a price like that for a ebook though.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #74
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I was never much of a bookstore buff, but sitting in the library, was my ultimate introverts hangout.
We have a lovely library with interesting architecture, lots of natural light, decorated with art. There's an especially nice, walled-in outdoor area with a fountain. I've read my Kindle there just for the ambiance.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #75
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
Umm.. I used to have stomach ache whenever I walked into a BN or Borders.. Must be the hormones or adrenalines or some other chemicals kicking in due to excitement

Since I have Kindles that is no longer the case. I can now walked into bookstores safely
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote