Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
VeLiKi
VeLiKi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Question (MOBI) Yet another ToC problem (have two of them)

I use kindle touch, so I decided to go for MOBI format. I found a .pdf on project gutenberg. There, it had its own ToC, which was a bunch of links that switched you to different chapters. I copied/pasted the whole thing into word, made it look how I wanted (cut out all the gutenberg info that's added in front and after the book itself), saved it as .rtf and opened it in calibre. From there I add some proper metadata, added the covers, converted it into the MOBI format, sent the whole thing to my kindle and....it didn't work, at all, no ToC.

After going back to the drawing board, I googled how to add ToC in a word document. I used different styles for for chapter titles and texts, and then I added a "smart ToC" in Word 2010. It worked great, looked great, felt great. Once more, I saved it as .rtf, opened it in calibre, added metadata, converted to MOBI, uploaded to kindle.

Now I have metadata when I open my book, I can select the chapter and I get thrown to the wanted chapter. Which is nice. If I select GO TO function but then select "Beginning", I get thrown back to my ugly ToC, that is in the first page of document itself.

But also, when I select the GO TO function in kindle itself, and then select "Table of contents" option, I get thrown to the neat looking ToC that calibre created.

Is there any way now to delete MY ToC, IF I already have the neat calibre one working??

Last edited by VeLiKi; 04-27-2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: added screenshots
VeLiKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You should not need to have a TOC in your source document. As long as the correct styles are applied to the entries (and I am guessing that they are) then Calibre can generate the TOC during conversion.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Your (first shown) TOC has Page numbers

This TOC probably came from a OCR scan... E-Books don't have Page Numbers so Caliber treated that section as just another part of the book.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
VeLiKi

itimpi:
I will try it without creating my own ToC

ducks:
There was no OCR created ToC or page numbering in my original word document. I created the ToC on the first page on my new document, and after that sent it to caliber for conversion.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
VeLiKi

update:

itimpi was right. Actually, the easiest way to create ToC in a custom e-book (aren't they all...) is to apply different word 2007/2010 styles to chapter headings; calibre will do the rest.

Thanks guys.
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeLiKi View Post
itimpi:
I will try it without creating my own ToC

ducks:
There was no OCR created ToC or page numbering in my original word document. I created the ToC on the first page on my new document, and after that sent it to caliber for conversion.
Where did the page numbers at the line ends come from?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
VeLiKi

It's a kindle thing, or so it would seem. Whenever I 'turn' the page, it increases the number at the bottom by 9, sometimes by 11, sometimes by 13. I think it might be the lines count, or a weird paragraph count or whatever. It's odd, it increases by (seemingly) random amounts.

Tags
calibre, double, table of contents, toc