Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #241
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
I just saw that at least sketches (unsure about highlight annotations(?)) are kept in a hidden directory .onyx in the respective directory... so it's not all the way as bad as I thought in my initial shock... nonetheless, the contents do not follow any renaming/file moving... and it's not a good idea in situations where customers are not aware of this and may want to manage directories on their PCs rather than the reader itself... inadvertedly (seemingly) 'losing' their work
Yes, sketches for given file are stored in .Onyx folder one file for each document.

I needed split too long document with sketches. I split the pdf file to several shorter files, renamed the sketch database to match the name of the 1st file and sketches remained where I draw them. (My sketches ended before the end of 1st pdf file chunk, otherwise they would be lost or everything would collapse - depending on how Onyx handles unexpected...)

You are right, that the sketch file should be renamed if I rename the file (using Onyx interface) and also should be copied if I copy/move file. (I have the feeling, both files are already correctly moved/copied in this case.)

Last edited by Mono; 02-27-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #242
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Yes, sketches for given file are stored in .Onyx folder one file for each document.

I needed split too long document with sketches. I split the pdf file to several shorter files, renamed the sketch database to match the name of the 1st file and sketches remained where I draw them. (My sketches ended before the end of 1st pdf file chunk, otherwise they would be lost or everything would collapse - depending on how Onyx handles unexpected...)

You are right, that the sketch file should be renamed if I rename the file (using Onyx interface) and also should be copied if I copy/move file. (I have the feeling, both files are already correctly moved/copied in this case.)
Hm - splitting of .pdf files is an ugly thing, too (did not have that problem yet, though - could it be fixed?).

In the 24/02/12 1.7 FW, I moved a file and 'lost' my annotations, so it's apparently not working.

But aside from this, I just think it's a bad idea to keep the sketches invisible from the user... Although the M92 file operations are a good basis (the Iliad needed a 3rd party application for that ), it's far from being a convenient way of managing documents... and as soon as I move documents on my PC without thinking of invisible files, I create a mess.

I think that keeping the sketches hidden is a sure way to confuse customers into thinking they just lost their work... and Onyx should have a good interest in avoiding such unhappy customers
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #243
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Hm - splitting of .pdf files is an ugly thing, too (did not have that problem yet, though - could it be fixed?).
Maybe I wrote it unclear. I wanted to split the pdf file (it was several books of one author in one file) and I did it on PC. So, there is no 'splitting pdf file' bug in M92... I had already 100+ pages of sketches, so I also wanted them to be preserved after the split.

I described that it is possible to move, rename and even split a pdf file with sketches if the splitting point is beyond the page of last skech in original pdf. But of course it is not for a general user. You have to know what you do.

I do not know where annotations, bookmarks, etc. are stored, it seems to me they are lost after document rename/move, which is not very good. But I use mostly the sketches, so for me it is not a big problem.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #244
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Maybe I wrote it unclear. I wanted to split the pdf file (it was several books of one author in one file) and I did it on PC. So, there is no 'splitting pdf file' bug in M92... I had already 100+ pages of sketches, so I also wanted them to be preserved after the split.

I described that it is possible to move, rename and even split a pdf file with sketches if the splitting point is beyond the page of last skech in original pdf. But of course it is not for a general user. You have to know what you do.

I do not know where annotations, bookmarks, etc. are stored, it seems to me they are lost after document rename/move, which is not very good. But I use mostly the sketches, so for me it is not a big problem.
Ah - then I misunderstood you, sorry (pdf splitting)
I agree that splitting a pdf file after annotating it is a somewhat exotic use case.
However - moving a file after annotating it, and then continuing work on it, is not - and even basic users should be able to do this (imho both via boox functionality and on PC).
I therefore propose to follow Irex's example, as I deem it sufficiently obvious even for non-technical users (and comes cheap, if they already have 1 DB/document )

I just tested copying the respective files in the .onyx directory along with the document on the PC.
It worked - all annotations (scribbles and otherwise) were present.
Bookmarks on the other hand were lost - so they seem to be stored someplace else.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #245
Mono
Mono

Quote:
I just tested copying the respective files in the .onyx directory along with the document on the PC.
It worked - all annotations (scribbles and otherwise) were present.
Bookmarks on the other hand were lost - so they seem to be stored someplace else.
OK, so it is better than I thought. 'Only' bookmarks are lost, the rest preserved.

It reminded me of another feature wish. Add to Tool menu icons goto bookmark 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and in bookmark dialog possibility to assign bookmarks to bookmark 1-5. It could be implemented by possibility to reorder the bookmarks in dialog. First 5 would be assigned to 1-5 bookmark 'bookmark'.
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #246
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
I have literally stormed through the one quoted here before
It would be naive to expect much from a 9.7" for PDF reading
Extremely naive.

I read in landscape mode, the documents are quite complex and I am happy with it so far.
Scribbling works perfect for me.
I would like to see the above fixed or implemented. If it happens I am going to congratulate myself for betting on this horse and I am going to see what you have to say because you did not give Onyx a chance to prove they can do it. at the beginning I was really revolted by the quality of the M90 and what happened with the users who bought that. But let's face it, the things have changed for good. you have support, feedback (It is OK that Booxtor filters our complains, one voice, trusted an clear will help more that an 1000 choir)

I did not have to do anything to my docs.
Once I learned how to use the zoom between two points tool I was more than OK. I would really appreciate to have tools on the bottom bar (the workflow is not the best) but I can live with that and I am positive that is going to change... I do not need it much since I am mostly scribbling and process the doc later on desktop.
Thx, I understand your position. It seems to work for you. Good!
As far as giving Onyx a chance: that could change with a couple of mouseclicks ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #247
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
There is not a better solution in the long run.

What would you recomend for reading 1000+ pages a year? I would like to hear the recomenation for now, not for future using comming devices. We need to read right now, not in the future.
You probably mean short run.

I don't see the emergency here.
Right now you need two devices for your workflow. The reader and a PC/tablet.

Is this really better than printing and reading paper documents? If you have to annotate, you do it on the PC, that is what you will have to do anyway. So eye strain is much less, because reading is done on paper.
For a fraction of the price of a reader you can print many copies.
And how many hours are wasted just to get the whole thing going?
Too many for my taste.
And after one year or so much better devices will be available anyway.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #248
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post

Is this really better than printing and reading paper documents? If you have to annotate, you do it on the PC, that is what you will have to do anyway. So eye strain is much less, because reading is done on paper.
Too many for my taste.
IMHO there are several misconceptions here:
a) Workflow before I bought my Iliad: print documents (because reading them on TFTs really is straining), annotate the printouts, lose the printouts, redo work when I have to revisit the documents => so it's not just about printing cost, but also about redundant work
b) When I have a working reader, I do _not_ need to annotate the document on the PC after annotating it on the reader => the PC is optional in this specific aspect of the workflow
c) It is not my experience that new better work- (as opposed to leasure-reading) devices just spawn up. This may hold for leasure reading devices (small, ultraportable), but the customer community for 'professional' devices just seems to small (And the devices are not flashy enough for management ). When Irex went bancrupt, there wasn't a real followup product for years (I was really glad when I learned of the M92). => Supporting the few companies that produce the stuff I need to work (and having a usable, though not perfect tool in the meantime) IMHO makes sense.

Just my 2ct. Cheers!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #249
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:

Too many for my taste.
Hello dear Beryll Snyder,
It seem for me that your attitude is: "let us wait and let others pay the progress!" Am I right? I hope not...
However, thanks a lot, that you are so worried about happiness of other (prospective) users of M92 and development of the product in the future.

As I understood You were a little bit disappointed with your M92 and have sent it back shortly after buying last year? But you are still very active in the Onyx part of this forum. You just must confess, you're regreting your decision (returning of M92) and deep inside you're still loving this ereader

Last edited by Booxtor; 02-28-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #250
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hello dear Beryll Snyder,
It seem for me that your attitude is: "let us wait and let others pay the progress!" Am I right? I hope no...
However, thanks a lot, that you are so worried about happiness of other (potential) users of M92 and development of the product in the future.

As I understood You were a little bit disappointed with your M92 and have sent it back shortly after buying last year? But you are still very active in the Onyx part of this forum. You just must confess, you're regreting your decision (returning of M92) and deep inside you're still loving this ereader
I believe that initially he was not satisfied with the device and had no hope that the software will change.
His workflow might not particularly need an eInk, he seems to be OK with doing work on the desktop. As stated too many times by now I am not OK with the desktop reading and I desperately needed a solution.

He is skeptical that the device might help in its current form and with the current functionality. He mentioned printing. Beryl let me tell you about my challenges: as pointed before I have to read around 10000 pages this year . That is too much and not everything in those 10000 pages is something that I need. I will have to filter out the info, to screen it, diagonal reading it ...call it whatever you want...printing these will be killing the trees..
Printing these at 0.025c/page will almost justify the device, not to speak about saving time and giving your eyes a break...
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #251
Mono
Mono

Quote:

No, I mean long run.

I explain. In short run, it might be better to use the paper. At least for certain type of users. It might be cheaper, if one does not read say 2-5000 pages a year. It might more convenient, if you do not mind to carry heavy stack of paper and if you are able to find the paper of interest...

In long run, you will have your scribles, annotations, bookmarks in digital. You will be able to have snapshots of interesting parts of documents. You squeeze say 1000 pages to 10-100 depending on informational value of the text.

So, using M92 now, I have to invest my effort to redefine the workflow to
handle 'imperfections' and to find the best way how to use M92 to have the biggest benefit in future of my effort to process the documents.

I am quite sure that either Onyx or someone else will make M92 perfect tool. It is good tool already.

You seem to have a different opinion. Time will show us, who is closer to the reality.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #252
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
Kodomo, thank you very much for making the Wiki-Wishlist!

And how reliable is it, that the tasks marked in yellow as already in progress, really will become implemented?
And in what time span?
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #253
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
And how reliable is it, that the tasks marked in yellow as already in progress, really will become implemented?
And in what time span?

They are really in process and the time span for different tasks also different. Some task will be done in a couple of weeks, some - need a couple of months.
Just have a little patience
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #254
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
They are really in process and the time span for different tasks also different. Some task will be done in a couple of weeks, some - need a couple of months.
Just have a little patience
Booxtor you seem to know more, unless you were explicitly told not to do so would you mind disclosing which are going to be addressed in the very near future?

I am particularly interested in the tool bar availability at the bottom of the screen and having the highlighted text visible in the original PDF (merged) so we can see it on the desktop.

thanks
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #255
labyrinth9
labyrinth9 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hello everyone! I have been reading this forum for a while. I have a new issue which just started happening on my M92. If the clock app is running, and you hold the nav button, it will freeze. This is an issue for me because as I carry it in my folio, it accidentally runs the program and consequently freezes.

Any ideas?

- Jason R Englert
labyrinth9 is offline   Reply With Quote