Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #391
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Plato's Phaedo, wow you really know how to pick dificult books, I have not read it but I understand from friends who have this it is one of the more dificult ones.
It is pretty difficult. Especially with a 100+ page introduction, lol. I just started the actual work itself (after struggling with the round about intro).
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #392
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
100 page intro wow, I don't think plato wrote the intro, it was probably written by some modern historian who was attempting to convey some of the things that he has learned about the book. A round about intro, I guess the author of the intro must be a modern historian. My experience with the writtings of modern historians leads me to believe that a good majority of them lack the ability to communicate in writting.

I am having a bit of dificulty focusing on one book. I started off reading A Hymn Before Battle and started into book two Gust Front until I remembered that members of this forum liked the Empire of Man series and I picked up a copy of that and started reading the first of that series - A March Upcountry of which is going quite well, although I am thinking of going back to the book gust front. Some times I have dificulty keeping focused on one book rather than a group of books. Prior to getting my kindle I would have shied away from books like Gust Front and MarchUpcontry since they are huge door stopper novels, would have been quite intimidated by them. Not so anymore since I do not need to deal with the physical size of the book any mroe and focus more on the text of the book rather than the physical size of the book.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #393
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I've had up to four books on the go at once, but not usually fiction. Generally a non-fiction technology one, a non-fictino parenting one, and then a couple of stories.

Right now I'm only reading one. John Updike's Rabbit, Run. Where's orlok? I'm wondering if they have read Rabbit is Rich yet and if they have any thoughts on it.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #394
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes;2049414Right now I'm only reading one. John Updike's [I
Rabbit, Run[/I]. Where's orlok? I'm wondering if they have read Rabbit is Rich yet and if they have any thoughts on it.
Not got to it yet. I'm reading some writing books (if that makes sense), and then the new Kellerman, Coben and Leather came out...

Would be interested to hear what you think of Updike.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #395
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great descriptions of everyday things and events with interesting characters with flaws and believability. It's not hitting me as brilliantly as John Steinbeck's Cannery Row did, but it's some very good stuff. I just discovered your challenge link. I'm up on you three authors to none on ones we have in common (Gaiman, Auster, and Updike)

I will more than likely read some more Updike in the near future. Definitely glad I decided he was an author I should read something by.
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #396
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Great descriptions of everyday things and events with interesting characters with flaws and believability. It's not hitting me as brilliantly as John Steinbeck's Cannery Row did, but it's some very good stuff. I just discovered your challenge link. I'm up on you three authors to none on ones we have in common (Gaiman, Auster, and Updike)

I will more than likely read some more Updike in the near future. Definitely glad I decided he was an author I should read something by.
Thanks. I will get there, just not yet. Is Rabbit, Run the first in the series - I'm wondering if I've chosen the wong one to start with?

I'm in two minds about whether to bother with Auster, as there was a spoiler in another thread which gave away a bit of the twist:

Spoiler:
A similar one to Shutter Island.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #397
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

1960 Rabbit, Run
1971 Rabbit Redux
1981 Rabbit is Rich
1990 Rabbit at Rest
2001 Rabbit Remembered

Rabbit is Rich did win the Pulitzer.

I'd still read the New York Trilogy. There's a lot of interesting bits in it. It might be a little esoteric and wandering for some.

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 04-19-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #398
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Rabbit is Rich did win the Pulitzer.
That's why I decided to read it, you are quite right. Maybe I'll change my challenge to Rabbit, Run, as I don't like starting series in the middle if I can avoid it.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #399
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I started Changes, book 12 of the Dresden Files series, earlier today. I'll have this, a short story, and just one more novel, before I've completed the first series of my 2012 goal. I'm excited about that, however, the way this series is going, 10 months is going to be a very long wait for book 14. Thankfully, I'll have 4 other series to help me through the waiting period.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #400
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished a trio of Dana Stabenow short stories I bought a while back. (The Perfect Gift, Gold Fever, and Cheechako.) These were Alaskan shorts, but not part of any series. Little things, but I enjoyed them. Ultimately, however, I think Ms. Stabenow is better suited to novel length works.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #401
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
^I've had up to four books on the go at once, but not usually fiction. Generally a non-fiction technology one, a non-fictino parenting one, and then a couple of stories.

Right now I'm only reading one. John Updike's Rabbit, Run. Where's orlok? I'm wondering if they have read Rabbit is Rich yet and if they have any thoughts on it.
I frequently do that, however not four at one time, generally I can do two or maybe three if I can keep the stories straight in my head. Typically they are very different novels, at the moment I have two going: a stony man book where the members of Able Team are shooting at terrorists in New Mexico while the other one is John Ringo's Empire of Man book 1 The March Upcountry where the characters are making their way through a dense jungle led by a native of the area. Personally I do not think that I could keep four stories straight in my head without getting a splitting headache.

I know what you mean orolok about not starting a series at the end or the middle. Some time ago without knowing any better I picked up a book out of the DragonLance saga of books called War of Souls, it was a great read. When I went back for more I found that I had started at the end of the series and went around to start at the beginning. That was a great novel called Dragons of an Autumn Twilight from the Dragon Lance Chronicles series.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #402
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
That's why I decided to read it, you are quite right. Maybe I'll change my challenge to Rabbit, Run, as I don't like starting series in the middle if I can avoid it.
I think I know what next year's reading challenge is going to be for me so I can fit in the next two Rabbit books next year.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:59 AM   #403
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
doing great for my total numbers of books read this year

struggling on the series I wanted to read though, so many others things I have found instead
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #404
jbcohen
Wizard

Quote:
I think I know what next year's reading challenge is going to be for me so I can fit in the next two Rabbit books next year.
I don't know if I would say that, however since this is my second year participating each year allows me to refine my estimation skills as to how far I will get each year. Last year was sort of a guess how far I would get where as this year I lowered my sights a little bit becuase they appeared to be a bit on the high side last year, however I seem to be failing short of where I need to be to make the goal this year . Thus next year I will msot likely be better able to make the estimate of where I will wrap 2013 at. My guess is at the conclusion of 2012 I will have fallen significantly short of my 2012 goal and will have to revise my goals for the next year down significantly. I guess I will have a better estimate at the outset of the 2013 reading year then I had at the start of 2012. Troubble is that I have gotten into a lot of real door stopper novels that take a while to get through, unlike 2011 when I generally did not under take any of the door stopper novels, however I am simply making exuses.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #405
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I like door-stopper novels, and if my reading challenge is stopping me from reading them, then it is a problem with the challenge.

I think I've succumbed to that a bit, this year. I've been avoiding longer and shorter works because my challenge is based on books. Longer books take too long, and shorter works don't count. I'm not sure I like that, but as discussed previously, any other method is at least as foolish.

I'm not sure I'll go for a challenge next year, but I think I'll continue to record what I'm reading. And perhaps I'll stick with non-annual challenges, like my current journey through the Hugo winners.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote