Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #31
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Would it be possible to post a pic? Please? Thanks.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #32
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
It's good to hear about crisper fonts. While I've got all of you nook owners in this thread, quick question: do you find the page turn buttons stiff? have they loosened up at all with time/use? I hear that they are stiff to use and difficult to push while holding the reader one-handed..
I don't think mine have loosened with use. But I've found the key to using the buttons without problem is to press it right in the center. Pressing the end of the button usually doesn't work, even though each button is about an inch long.
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #33
jclim00
Nameless Being

I don't suppose they sneaked in the ability to use custom fonts? I've been running my touch rooted with Coolreader as my primary epub program, and I'm a little spoiled by all the great font rendering options. (ITC Stone Serif is amazing on e-ink)

(Even an alternate method such as this

http://nookdevs.com/Font_Changes#Ins...nts_from_ePubs

that used to work for the nook classic would be great if anyone has figured out a way...)
Old 11-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #34
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
It downloaded and installed without a hitch. And the text is noticeably crisper. But only the Nookbooks are still shelved. Again.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #35
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Unfortunately, he was banned.
I did not know that. Thanks for telling us.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #36
TMac-
TMac- began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STR
I have read for about an hour and no freezing so far. This is great news for anyone who had the screen usually freeze after swiping the touchscreen to turn pages.
TMac- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #37
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
And TOC navigation is still only 'top' level?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #38
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
And TOC navigation is still only 'top' level?
Multilevel TOC is flattened now, like this:

-first level entry 1
--second level entry 1
---third level entry 1
--second level entry 2
-first level entry 2

looks like:

-first level entry 1
-second level entry 1
-third level entry 1
-second level entry 2
-first level entry 2

Another thing that might be new(first time I have seen it): When I re-opened a book from home page using "Reading Now" link, reader app sometimes opened the book to the first page, while using the library link for the book opened it to the correct page. Now when that happens a dialog box pops up and asks something like "Do you want to synchronize to the furthest page read?". And it works!
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #39
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
* Definitely seeing faster page turns.
* I think there were some CSS changes - in the book I'm reading, same text settings as before (including Publisher's Default), the chapter headings are now sans-serif (which is right per the print book, I didn't actually look at the CSS yet) where they were serif before.
* Multilevel TOC kind of works - it's all promoted to first level, but you actually see the interior content now.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #40
vlark
vlark began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
In addition to what others have mentioned, I've noticed two more:

1. No more browser access. It's gone. Entering a web address in the global find field results in a search of the library or the shop (if wireless is enabled).

2. There's a new preference in Settings > Shop that allows you manage the credit card associated with your bn.com account. This requires WiFi to be turned on.
vlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #41
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlark View Post
In addition to what others have mentioned, I've noticed two more:

1. No more browser access. It's gone. Entering a web address in the global find field results in a search of the library or the shop (if wireless is enabled).

2. There's a new preference in Settings > Shop that allows you manage the credit card associated with your bn.com account. This requires WiFi to be turned on.
#1 is really too bad. If anything, they should have provided a working browser. Well, I guess that's what rooting is for.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #42
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
After reading for a bit, it is a definite improvement. I'll restate what I said earlier, in that I believe screen contrast has been sharpened. The book cover images look a little more washed out, and even the screensaver image looks slightly washed out compared to before. But this is a good trade-off for the text improvements.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #43
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Just updated. It's definitely faster with the page turns, really like that. A fair bit crisper too with the text. Pretty happy with this update.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #44
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
I just updated mine. It is faster and the text looks sharper and both improvements are noticeable. For those of you who own a Nook Color, they announced a new update coming soon, and it seems (from the intro video for the NEW Nook Color) that they will be adding the ability to search the dictionary. I have always wanted that, so I can't wait. I am not sure why they would not include that feature in the update for the STR.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #45
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
Multilevel TOC is flattened now, like this:

-first level entry 1
--second level entry 1
---third level entry 1
--second level entry 2
-first level entry 2

looks like:

-first level entry 1
-second level entry 1
-third level entry 1
-second level entry 2
-first level entry 2
Well, that's progress (on the TOC view). One might prefer a tree structure but this should take most of the pain away.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote