Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Does anybody know any non-readers?

If so, does it anger you? If you've asked about it, what justification do they give?

Maybe its just my own psychosis but I don't think I could be friends with someone who didn't own books (or an ereader). To me that probably means their knowledge consists of tv or magazines (mind-candy mags, not Popular Science) and thats a headache I don't need lol.

Not that books necessarily make someone more intelligent but reading certainly requires a certain level of brain power and requires more critical thinking than a diet of People magazine or American Idol does.

And no, I don't mean those who are unfortunately illiterate. I mean those who are perfectly able but just don't for whatever reason.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good heavens, yes. The vast majority of my friends don't read books for pleasure - they just watch TV. Just it anger me? No - why should it? it's their choice, and they probably think that I'm equally strange, watching hardly any TV. It's not for me to tell them how to live their lives.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Most people I know are non-readers, it doesn't make me angry. I see books as just another form of entertainment, if they chose a different form than I who am I to judge ?
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:29 AM   #4
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
I dont find myself angry, just disappointed. especially when someone says things like books are rubbish or boring ,that sort of closed off mind i'm glad i dont have.
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:31 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd123 View Post
I dont find myself angry, just disappointed. especially when someone says things like books are rubbish or boring ,that sort of closed off mind i'm glad i dont have.
Don't you ever say that about TV?
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Most of my friends are non-readers. Doesn't bother me at all! Nor does it bother me if they are non-divers, non-campers, non-bikers, non-dog-owners or never ride a bicycle.

I does bother me if they judge people from their hobbies rather than their personal qualities though!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:19 AM   #7
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good heavens, yes. The vast majority of my friends don't read books for pleasure - they just watch TV. Just it anger me? No - why should it? it's their choice, and they probably think that I'm equally strange, watching hardly any TV. It's not for me to tell them how to live their lives.
Agreed. Sorry OP, but you sound very condescending and judgmental.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:32 AM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you generalize I'd say you sound condescending indeed but in some instances and with some people I'd have to agree with you. I know people that have a tag on their forehead reading "I'm stupid and without any cultural aspirations, all I care for are reality shows which I believe in blindly as being real and I'm a fan of the Jerry Springer show ..."
Other people have different cultural interests such as theater or arts and are not necessarily interested in books, though it would be nice if they were, I accept their choices and they have my full respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
If so, does it anger you? If you've asked about it, what justification do they give?

Maybe its just my own psychosis but I don't think I could be friends with someone who didn't own books (or an ereader). To me that probably means their knowledge consists of tv or magazines (mind-candy mags, not Popular Science) and thats a headache I don't need lol.

Not that books necessarily make someone more intelligent but reading certainly requires a certain level of brain power and requires more critical thinking than a diet of People magazine or American Idol does.

And no, I don't mean those who are unfortunately illiterate. I mean those who are perfectly able but just don't for whatever reason.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:33 AM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

<building a tower of soap boxes and climbing up>

Actually I'm getting quite upset over here now that I read the topic starter post a bit more thorough.

It's extactly that kind of attitude that makes some people look at us "readers" as boring nerds or geeks or whatever would be the appropriate English term.

My friends that don't read books are very smart people. The people that not only build the roads you drive on but make all the calculations involved when constuction that new bridge or tunnel you drive through.
They are the ones that build your house and repair your cars.
They are the ones developing the software for your computer or eReader.

They are in some cases people with IQ most of us can only dream of. They know lots of things about how things work and what goes on in this world.

They just don't like to read books. They have other hobbies!

<climbing down from the tower of soapboxes>

Last edited by Asawi; 08-27-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #10
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's strange cause the high IQ kind of people you are talking about usually read books, technical books if nothing else and if not as a passion, at least casually and from time to time or simply for their work activities.
Now if you say you know one such person shunning books for whatever reason, it would sound plausible but if you say you know a whole bunch of high IQ people involved in brain-power-demanding activities such as the ones you described, I'd say you are using hyperbole.
Nothing wrong there, just pointing out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
<building a tower of soap boxes and climbing up>

Actually I'm getting quite upset over here now that I read the topic starer post a bit more thorough.

It's extactly that kind of attitude that makes some people look at us "readers" as boring nerds or geeks or whatever would be the appropriate English term.

My friends that don't read books are very smart people. The people that not only build the roads you drive on but make all the calculations involved when constuction that new bridge or tunnel you drive through.
They are the ones that build your house and repair your cars.
They are the ones developing the software for your computer or eReader.

They are in some cases people with IQ most of us can only dream of. They know lots of things about how things work and what goes on in this world.

They just don't like to read books. They have other hobbies!

<climbing down from the tower of soapboxes>
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:48 AM   #11
Aladyleyna
Zealot
Aladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notes

Device: iPad 1
Yes, I do know a few non-readers, mainly friends, former school-mates and such. My father isn't a reader either, but he does make sure to read the news everyday. He watches a lot more TV though.

But it doesn't anger me that people don't read, we can find other stuff to talk about. Besides, who am I to judge a person's matuarity level or intelligence based on their hobbies?
Aladyleyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #12
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
That's strange cause the high IQ kind of people you are talking about usually read books, technical books if nothing else and if not as a passion, at least casually and from time to time or simply for their work activities.
OK, you're right some of them have to flick through a work of reference now and then in their work. But so does the super market checkout person! So if that's seen as "reading" I'd say you'd be hard pushed to find anyone at all who doesn't read!
(Actually, those construction people that I know (hundreds!) make very little use of books. Books simply can't hold the kind of up-to-date information they need. They have a binder or two with documents, laptops and software and phones. They sometimes even call me...)

Last edited by Asawi; 08-27-2011 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Everyone has their own idea of how to enjoy themselves. I read and go for long walks in the countryside (with my Kindle, of course ). Other people go to football matches, cycle, fish, play golf, or watch TV. What does it matter as long as you're having fun and not harming anyone else?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:32 AM   #14
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Two of my closest friends are non book-readers; one of them is even quite passionate about it. They're both very intelligent/educated.

Also, it's not a lack of intelligence that I think is compromised by not reading; it's a lack of perspective.

I'm hesitant to choose a romantic partner who does not read, though, but that's a bit different imo. Readers share a connection that I feel is important in more intimate relations.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:36 AM   #15
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed. Sorry OP, but you sound very condescending and judgmental.
i was aiming more for the types who think reading is dumb,a waste of time or look at a book like it's something the cat dragged in.

i didn't mean to come off like an elitest or something.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote