Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #16
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunter View Post
Good to know this beta is actually alpha On the code rendering - i'm afraid nothing less than converter with browser equivalent rendering capabilities will do, many bloggers use i-dont-know-what tools making use of heavy CSS. Some do it more simple way but feedbooks fails to convert them as well. For exampl, see the picture I attached
Heavy CSS is pretty stupid in a RSS feed.
Took a look at your screenshot, I can clearly see the problem here, we already support entities encoded using #code; but not those with &code;.
We'll add the support for those too in our new parsing system.

Most RSS feeds are a real mess though, you can hardly imagine how many fixes we need to add to support broken RSS feeds. For example, I've seen a few RSS feeds where the HTML tags themselves were encoded with HTML entities: that's really ugly.

Tried to use tidy in order to transform all of this bad HTML into nice and easy to parse XHTML, but even tidy failed to clean some of these feeds.

Edit: updated the first message of the thread with a new text and another screenshot for the "Books" tab.

Last edited by Hadrien; 08-14-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #17
Bunter
Bunter began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Well, because of this complete mess (especially styles) in RSS i've never used any other RSS software than those what came with integrated browser support or run in a browser itself. You might consider alternative output as some sort of HTML package. Though I have no idea how far iLiad-s internal browser html support goes yet, basic things I tested seemed to work.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2007, 05:08 PM   #18
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Well, because of this complete mess (especially styles) in RSS i've never used any other RSS software than those what came with integrated browser support or run in a browser itself. You might consider alternative output as some sort of HTML package. Though I have no idea how far iLiad-s internal browser html support goes yet, basic things I tested seemed to work.
Supporting CSS will be much easier with the Epub output already.

Although some RSS feeds are really messy, some have simple HTML and work really well already. I read TechCrunch, Slashdot and news from the BBC website this way.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #19
Bunter
Bunter began at the beginning.

I'll keep my fingers crossed then and wish you luck (and even more, speed:P) with a this project
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #20
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
I'll keep my fingers crossed then and wish you luck (and even more, speed:P) with a this project
It has nothing to do with luck: time & work.

Main problem is that we're working on many different things at the same time.
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 AM   #21
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

The main work on the application is now done.
We've added a "history' and a "favorites" button on the tab for books. This way you can display the books that you added as favorites on Feedbooks.com and download them any time you want.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #22
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Hadrien, when can we expect to be able to play with the lovely new app?
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #23
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel View Post
Hadrien, when can we expect to be able to play with the lovely new app?
Well Adam B. can already play with it on his iLiad ;-)
We're doing a few changes and adding a feature or two: it'll be available in September as soon as everything's ready.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #24
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Well Adam B. can already play with it on his iLiad ;-)
We're doing a few changes and adding a feature or two: it'll be available in September as soon as everything's ready.
Yay!

September's upon us, so i keep my fingers crossed!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #25
Sunn Sunn
Sunn Sunn began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Please note that there's an option under iLiad settings for the location of books, documents, newspapers and notes.
Sunn Sunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #26
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunn Sunn View Post
Please note that there's an option under iLiad settings for the location of books, documents, newspapers and notes.
Yeah, we're loading the new configuration file (xml). It'll download books and newspapers in the right folder.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #27
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Just wanted to give an update.

The port is coming along nicely. We just need to work out some bugs in the download manager, add a few more refreshes, and we're good to go.

Here are some more teaser shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	feeds.png
Views:	671
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	5994   Click image for larger version

Name:	books.png
Views:	745
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	5995   Click image for larger version

Name:	downloads.png
Views:	665
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	5996   Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.png
Views:	669
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	5997  
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 AM   #28
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Just wanted to give an update.

The port is coming along nicely. We just need to work out some bugs in the download manager, add a few more refreshes, and we're good to go.

Here are some more teaser shots.
Any news here? I thought September was the target date? This application is, in my view, a killer app for iLiad...
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #29
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

The core code of the software was indeed finished late September / early October. 1-2 bugs kept us from releasing it. I'm still expecting some kind of news concerning a development device from Karel. There's honestly very little left to do, but we're blocked as long as we can't fix this bug.

In the meantime we're working on a full cache system for the RSS feeds. Downloading feeds and newspapers will be much faster as soon as the cache is ready. Nothing really changed for the books though, except that we now output epub files too, and this will be available in the application too (epub support through FBReader on the iLiad).
Old 11-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #30
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
The core code of the software was indeed finished late September / early October. 1-2 bugs kept us from releasing it. I'm still expecting some kind of news concerning a development device from Karel. There's honestly very little left to do, but we're blocked as long as we can't fix this bug.

In the meantime we're working on a full cache system for the RSS feeds. Downloading feeds and newspapers will be much faster as soon as the cache is ready. Nothing really changed for the books though, except that we now output epub files too, and this will be available in the application too (epub support through FBReader on the iLiad).
right. Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the release. If I'm lucky, it will be before the xmas holiday
narve is offline   Reply With Quote