Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
pitolee
Connoisseur
pitolee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
BD - suggestions...

Everyday I love BD more and more! Have found a few very small and nitpicky items that may need to be corrected.

1. The auto-generated TOC has a title that says Table of Content - this should be Table of Contents - with a final s.

2. I love the bad sentence ends list! It saves me SO much grief! - however some of the following show up as a bad sentence when they possibly are not:
Sentences ending with quotes like ." ?" !"
Sentences ending with a parenthesis or bracket like .) or !]
Sentences ending with a colon like :

If these could be added to the solution set, then we could focus on the broken sentences.

These suggestions might be checked and added to by other BD heavy users.

Everyday I use BD I am thankful for a program that can open up the possibilities for my Sony Reader. Thank you for all the work in developing an excellent tool!
pitolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
dstampe
dstampe
dstampe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
More suggestions (Sony Reader specific):

- Allow boldface on single words.

- Some way to simulate left-justified and hyphenation, without creating an image, possibly by using hard line breaks. This would be font-specific, so would need a source that can supply the properly formatted pages with the hyphenation and line wraps (maybe importing a PDF or using Word with some kind of line-break output). Then BD would simply use standard full-justified paragraphs, one per line, hopefully keeping first-line indents as well.

These are needed for some large-print books I want to convert. Without these, BD simply cannot produce what I need. These books tend to have >3000 pages, so PDF is not an option at present.
dstampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
BCCISProf
Enthusiast
BCCISProf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitolee
2. I love the bad sentence ends list! It saves me SO much grief! - however some of the following show up as a bad sentence when they possibly are not:
I echo these. They would making producing a eBook much much easier!
BCCISProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstampe
More suggestions (Sony Reader specific):

- Allow boldface on single words.
I don't believe that the Reader supports "bold" as a text attribute. You can set "bold" in BD, but it doesn't show up in the Reader.

Quote:
Some way to simulate left-justified and hyphenation, without creating an image, possibly by using hard line breaks. This would be font-specific, so would need a source that can supply the properly formatted pages with the hyphenation and line wraps (maybe importing a PDF or using Word with some kind of line-break output). Then BD would simply use standard full-justified paragraphs, one per line, hopefully keeping first-line indents as well.
I'm not sure that I follow you, here. You CAN use hard line breaks to simulate left justification; this is, for example, what the "verse" style does. What more do you need BD to do?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
You CAN use hard line breaks to simulate left justification; this is, for example, what the "verse" style does. What more do you need BD to do?
Hmm. So Could I mark all the Paragraph parts as Verse and adjust the other Verse attributes to give me all left justified text? I must experiment.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, on trying it, that seems like it would be a lot of trouble.

But I believe I remember vvv giving us code for a BookCleaner macro that would left justify the regular text.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:

If these could be added to the solution set, then we could focus on the broken sentences.
This list is user-defined. Press "Assign -> good sentence end", then type the symbols which you are considering as "good sentence ends". All the paragraphs which are not ended by symbols typed in "good sentence ends" list will be found when you press on "bad sentence ends" item.
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstampe
- Some way to simulate left-justified and hyphenation
There are 3 ways to do it.
1. To make a book as an image. This option is avalible.
2. To make a hardly-formatted book (as it is done in the module for Librie). But because practically all the Reader users voted for the soft formatting, there is no this option.
3. To ask Sony to add soft hyphenation support and left-justification: BD has these options but they are not activated because Reader does not recognize soft hyphs and left-justification .

Last edited by vvv; 04-26-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
pitolee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvv
This list is user-defined. Press "Assign -> good sentence end", then type the symbols which you are considering as "good sentence ends". All the paragraphs which are not ended by symbols typed in "good sentence ends" list will be found when you press on "bad sentence ends" item.

vvv this is fantastic. I learn more about the capabilities of BD everyday. It's wonderfully simple, but also very deep... Am truly enjoying learning more about it. Thanks again for your long hours of development and constant improvements.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:31 AM   #10
pitolee
Connoisseur

vvv I tried it.. but it doesnt seem to make a difference with the bad sentence ends list...
.. I added .?!:chr(133)”") to good paragraph ends.. then clicked preview then done - do not see any changes in the list of 'bad sentence ends' or 'bad ends(user)'. What step am i missing? Also, it doesn't seem to be keeping track of the new good sentence ends from book to book...

What am i doing wrong? Thanks again!
Old 04-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
BCCISProf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvv
How does one enter the character & # 8221; represented by ” which is the right double quotation mark? Cut and paste does not yield the proper code, because it gets translated as a " rather than a right curly double quotation mark and the bad sentence tool still finds it.

Thanks again for a great tool.

Last edited by BCCISProf; 04-27-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
vvv I tried it.. but it doesnt seem to make a difference with the bad sentence ends list...
.. I added .?!:chr(133)”") to good paragraph ends.. then clicked preview then done - do not see any changes in the list of 'bad sentence ends' or 'bad ends(user)'. What step am i missing? Also, it doesn't seem to be keeping track of the new good sentence ends from book to book...
To check if, for example, " is working, do as follows:
- add " to "good paragraph ends", then press done.
- press File -> empty book, and a paragraph with text Start to type here will appear.
- press 'bad ends(user)', and Start to type here has to appear in Element Browser.
- now add " at the end of Start to type here, press 'bad ends(user)', and Start to type here has to disappear from Element Browser.

Last edited by vvv; 04-27-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCISProf
How does one enter the character & # 8221; represented by ” which is the right double quotation mark?
Insert -> special symbols. ” is entered pressing a 4-th button at the second row of "Special symbols" win. Also you can enter ” inserting 148 from "ansii" field.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #14
BCCISProf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvv
Insert -> special symbols. ” is entered pressing a 4-th button at the second row of "Special symbols" win. Also you can enter ” inserting 148 from "ansii" field.
Thank you.

What is the difference in functionality between the "Bad Sentence Ends" and the "Bad Ends (user)" in the Element Browser? Both have an "assign/good sentence ends". Yet added sentence punctuation seem to suppress the display of sentences only in the "Bad Ends(user)" but not in the "Bad Sentence Ends"
Old 04-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #15
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCISProf
What is the difference in functionality between the "Bad Sentence Ends" and the "Bad Ends (user)" in the Element Browser?
"Bad Sentence Ends" looks for the elements which are not ended by default symbols (.?!;*...).

"Bad Ends (user)" finds elements which are not ended by user-defined symbols assigned through "assign" menu.