Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Zepherious
Zepherious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
how do I export my Kobo books

Hi,

My family got me a Kobo reader for mothers day and I have been trying to find out more information about it. The one thing that I cannot find is how to export the books on my Kobo to my computer. I have downloaded Calibre, but am lost how to do it there (if it's even possible) and am looking into SQLite Expert, but I am thinking that that will not export but rather give me a list of the books.

Please help

Newbie Kobo user
Zepherious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
sunami88
Enthusiast
sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.

If you're looking at getting the 100 classics off the reader, as far as I know you can't do that. I remember reading that to delete them you have to do a factory reset - this is to be addressed in the phantom firmware update.

Surely though, all those books are public domain and could be found here? That is, if you were looking at reading them on the computer/another device.

Last edited by sunami88; 05-29-2010 at 02:17 PM.
sunami88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Zepherious
Zepherious began at the beginning.

Actually I downloaded 3 books (2 purchased and 1 free) from the Kobo website onto my reader and I am trying to figure out how to get those from the Kobo to my computer. Maybe I am missing something on the kobo website and I can get them directly from it?

My purpose for this is that I want to backup my content so that if something happened to the Kobo I would have that content for another eReader.

Thanks
Zepherious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
sunami88
Enthusiast
sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.

When you log into the Kobo webiste, login, and then click on "LIBRARY" near the top right.

This will bring you to the books you've purchased, and should let you download them as an ePUB. I say should because every time I click on a download link in Chrome it downloads a "URLLink.acsm" file. In a more supported browser your ePUB should just be saved to the hard drive.

Let me know if that works, I'm a noobie too :P .

EDIT:
Y'know what, even in the dreaded Internet Explorer it just downloads that file... Strange.

EDIT2:
Ah, thank you wallcraft haha.

Last edited by sunami88; 05-29-2010 at 02:44 PM.
sunami88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As sunami88 says, it may be easiest to redownload them to your PC. First install desktop Adobe Digital Editions and then downloads the ebooks in a web browser. Usually, this automatically opens ADE which downloads the actual ePub for you. Under Windows, the ebooks end up in My Documents\My Digital Editions. If you originally used desktop ADE to get the ebooks to your Kobo, the epubs should already be in this directory from the first download.

If you get a naked .acsm file from your browser, open it with ADE (e.g. right click on it and select ADE) and you should get the actual ePub. The .acsm file is a "permission slip" to download the actual epub from Adobe's servers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote