Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #211
Mayr
Connoisseur
Mayr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3Gs
I think my problem may be in this step:

Quote:
Go to MyFolder\prsfiles\font.1 and copy all three fonts in that folder to MyFolder\prsfiles\font.3.Next up, find that tt0011m_.ttf font file that you made in Step One. Copy it, go to MyFolder\prsfiles\font.3 and paste it there. When asked do you want to overwrite the file already there, select Yes.
So I'm suppose to go to the folder "font.1" and copy the 3 files that are there and then paste those 3 files on the "font.3" folder? But the folder "font.3" already had 3 files in there. And if then I'm going to place the file "tt0011m_.ttf" on the "font.3" folder why did I need to copy all 3 files in the first place? Shouldn't I had to copy only 2?
Mayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #212
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayr View Post
And if then I'm going to place the file "tt0011m_.ttf" on the "font.3" folder why did I need to copy all 3 files in the first place? Shouldn't I had to copy only 2?
It's written like that for the sake of simplicity. Instead of telling the user to pick the correct two files and have him potentially pick the wrong two, I just instruct him to copy all three.

I'm trying to make it as simple as possible and lessen the amount of potential user mistakes.

And this is not the cause of your issue.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #213
Mayr
Connoisseur
Mayr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3Gs
Ok, I used a Georgia font instead and all seems to be fine.

The problem seems to have been the sans serif font in your tutorial. I'm just guessing, not 100% sure.
Mayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #214
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Hi Valloric,

Thanks for the awesome guide. It was very detailed and worked perfectly for me. I had a question for you though. I switched the default serif font to Caecilia. It looks great for the most part. However, I am finding that in certain LRF books (like some of the ones available on MR) the line spacing between lines is not sufficient causing parts of letters in different lines to overlap. I have attached a pic below pointing this out. Do you have any suggestions as to what I could do to avoid this?

PS - It seems to happen with all the BD books (which is the case for most of the LRF ebooks here on MR)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caecilia-linespacing-lrf.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	36906  

Last edited by orion2001; 10-04-2009 at 03:14 PM.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #215
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
However, I am finding that in certain LRF books (like some of the ones available on MR) the line spacing between lines is not sufficient causing parts of letters in different lines to overlap.
I've honestly never noticed this, but now that you mention it, it does appear in my books as well (made by BD too). But honestly it doesn't bother me. I've probably read more than a hundred books with this line spacing and I haven't noticed it until you just pointed it out.

But line spacing can AFAIK be adjusted for LRF books. Maybe the default for BD is too narrow?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #216
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I've honestly never noticed this, but now that you mention it, it does appear in my books as well (made by BD too). But honestly it doesn't bother me. I've probably read more than a hundred books with this line spacing and I haven't noticed it until you just pointed it out.

But line spacing can AFAIK be adjusted for LRF books. Maybe the default for BD is too narrow?
Thanks Valloric. Yeah it probably is something to do with the default BD linespacing. The Calibre ones look great with the extra linespacing. It sucks a bit since this does bother me with the BD books, and unfortunately a lot of the classics here on MR are formatted using BD.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #217
orion2001
Groupie

So if I want to change the default font to some other one, do I need to first reflash it to the latest Sony Firmware (after editing the version number) and then redo the PRS Customizer flash with the new font?
Old 10-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #218
Valloric

Quote:
So if I want to change the default font to some other one, do I need to first reflash it to the latest Sony Firmware (after editing the version number) and then redo the PRS Customizer flash with the new font?
The fonts on the Reader always need to be "clean" (vanilla Sony) before going through the flashing procedure. It could work without this assurance, but I don't recommend it.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #219
orion2001
Groupie

Quote:
The fonts on the Reader always need to be "clean" (vanilla Sony) before going through the flashing procedure. It could work without this assurance, but I don't recommend it.
Ah, I see. So I guess I'll try to reflash the latest Sony Firmware and then redo the PRS customizer bit. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #220
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
It could work without this assurance, but I don't recommend it.
It does.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #221
orion2001
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
It does.
Hi pepak.

Do you mean you can just reflash over your previous PRS Customizer flash and it works fine? In that case do you just change the fonts, create a new "sdcard" folder using the software and put in on your SD card to flash again?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #222
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Do you mean you can just reflash over your previous PRS Customizer flash and it works fine?
Yes.

Quote:
In that case do you just change the fonts, create a new "sdcard" folder using the software and put in on your SD card to flash again?
If you still have your original SDCard, you can simply copy the font files into appropriate directory and flash away. Otherwise you will likely need to do the whole customization again.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:56 AM   #223
frosty
frosty began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Some books have changed, some not

Hi there,

Firstly, thanks for the brilliant in depth-guide - really well put together and really useful

I've updated my serif font, and deleted and re-added all of my books, as you say to in the guide. I'm using a UK 505, by the way, and I only use Calibre to manage my books.

However, only some of my books use the font (a really small minority) - most are still using some kind of Times Roman-esque font. I should also mention that Most of my books are epubs - none with DRM, and a fair few from Feedbooks. Is this a case of embedded fonts? It's a pity, as I'd love to read them with a nicer font. Is the only option here to edit them by hand, or have I missed something? Is it possible to add a CSS rule to Calibre and get it to re-convert them into a new epub?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:14 AM   #224
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty View Post
However, only some of my books use the font (a really small minority) - most are still using some kind of Times Roman-esque font. I should also mention that Most of my books are epubs
This technique works only for LRF books. Epub books use a completely different renderer. Information on using custom fonts for epub books can be found in this thread.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #225
frosty
frosty began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
D'oh! Thanks for that - I'll check into that post later!
frosty is offline   Reply With Quote