Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
kakolirisn
kakolirisn began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 700
UMPC

After a small research with the help of other members i have concluded to buy a umpc in order to make anotations- highlighting-when i read.

Does anyone know if it is possible in a screen of 4,5 to read pdf archives, or it is better to choose a size of 7 inches?

Could anyone suggest me an umpc that is suitable for me.

I am not interesting about linux, because if i believe correct, doesn't support mobi archives.
kakolirisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
For PDF files, I'd not go smaller than 7", preferably much larger.

And I believe you can install a reader that will read mobi files on Linux too (FBReader?, it's late and my brains are shutting down for the night...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Any UMPC will let you do what you need, so get the best deal you can get.

Remember a UMPC is a full computer, so you can do with it everything you can do with any portable, so you will be able to use it to create text files, browse web, etc… etc… etc…

I myself have an Asus R2H with windows xp tabletpc and it serves me pretty well (come with 512 Mbyte of ram upgraded it to 2 Gigs).
When I bought it, it was full of crapwhare - “free and other” software Asus have put in it and who just did put into a crawl, so I have had to uninstall all the unnecessary crap (information online exists on how to do this). Once done, it runs as good as any one of my (or our company’s) tabletpcs, even if it’s just a celeron 900.

BTW: I advise you to stick to the 7” UMPC’s.

Also it’s a great eBook reader and lets you access all the pdf files you want without a problem.

Good shopping,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Lanx
Enthusiast
Lanx began at the beginning.

Device: none
pdfs, 4.5 is really difficult to go around, imo.(i have a jetbook) and i am looking for a 9in, so yea i'd say get as big of a screen as you can.
Lanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
If you are planning to do any 'computing' on your umpc I wouldn't go smaller than 7". I have a 10" Eee PC and love it, It is a great portable pc and does just what I need it to do. I do think that it would be a bit big if I was using it primarily for reading. Do consider what else you will be doing with your umpc and how much screen space that will need. PDF files are traditionally set up for a "Letter" size page, so the closer you can get to that size the more enjoyable the reading experience will be. Some PDF files are saved as a series of picture or static pages which can not be 'reflowed' nicely and a larger screen will make it easier to read those files.

I have read on palm pilots and iPaqs and Dell PDAs and find that the small screens can get a bit annoying with all the extra page turns. I got really good at reading very small print in order to get as many words/page as I could. I thing that I would end up doing the same thing with a 4.5" screen. With a 7" screen you can find the font size that is easiest for you to read at the time; larger when more tired, smaller when in perfect reading conditions, etc. There is more flexibility with a slightly larger screen. Also it will be easier to read the eBook websites, and MobileRead, in 'full' rather than 'mobile' mode with a 7" screen.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Smart Q7

If I remember, you are also in Greece, right? I have the Plaisio-branded Classmate 9" tablet and I DO NOT recommend it for reading. The screen is too bright and it runs very hot, it is heavy (comparitively) and the battery is not the longer-lasting one (about 2 hours).

If you do not want to wait till the end of the year, perhaps the new Smart Q7 model is OK for now. Since you would order it from China, being in Greece is not so much of a disadvantage compared to everywhere else. It is Linux, but I recall posts saying that windows CE is being ported. Check out this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47223

Another thought: I think the "Public" bookstores also carries the Archos line of PMPs - but I don't know if the new 7" is available yet.

The Asus line should have a tablet available (hopefully in Greece too) by the end of the year. Otherwise, why not go for a good general PC that can run all of the software you are interested in trying for now (like a 9" or 10" Acer or Eee) and then trade up when the new wave of eink-type tablets come along?

My husband uses an "old" 15" laptop to read PDFs, annotate, bookmark, browsing, etc and is just fine with this until large-screen newer tablet technology comes along. Not very portable, but he does these studies at home.

"Set priorities and compromise on the rest" is the operative phrase!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakolirisn View Post
.. .to buy a umpc in order to make anotations- highlighting-when i read.

Does anyone know if it is possible in a screen of 4,5 to read pdf archives, or it is better to choose a size of 7 inches?
No way, not recommended, unless maybe you wear bi-focal type glasses that have some way of not requiring your eye muscles to focus down too much. I have a 5" UMPC, don't wear glasses, and find reading full-page stuff to be tedious, if not painful. Plus your annotations will have to be written in equally small size.

Quote:
Could anyone suggest me an umpc that is suitable for me.
How about an 8.9" Fujitsu P1630, or earlier 1620/1610 models if you look used?

12.1" is great, but hardly a UMPC.

Quote:
I am not interesting about linux, because if i believe correct, doesn't support mobi archives.
I'm not sure how you will do inking in linux. It will never approach the Tablet capabilities of Windows (Tablet PC or Vista) in the time you have this Tablet. The most natural way of annotating PDFs is with the Windows-only PDF Annotator or a soon-to-be released Evernote/Foxit annotating program.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:58 AM   #8
kakolirisn

I have been wainting for your answers and suggestions all these days.
Thank alls for your time and help.
Some thoughts: first of all, an umpc with a very high price isn't acceptable because we should have an irex that makes annotations highlighting.
Secondly, i have seen some devices with windows CE with low price. I am afraid that with these devices will be difficult to find additional programs, like greek language etc as i could do with xp.
Finally, i am not sure if is better to wait for windows 7. I think that as a result of new windows we would have many choices in new umpc. Does any one knows something about this? I am waiting for your opininions suggestions.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:07 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'm not really into different charactersets, but isn't that dependent on your font?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
kakolirisn

what is your opinion for NOTEBOOK GIGABYTE U60 UMPC? Do you believe that would be suitable for pdf archives?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
what is your opinion for NOTEBOOK GIGABYTE U60 UMPC? Do you believe that would be suitable for pdf archives?
It only supports XP Home or Pro, according to this link, and not XP Tablet. So how will you be able to make annotations? PDF Annotator needs XP Tablet or Vista.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Let me reiterate what sweetpea said earlier, I'm not sure you will be happy with anything with a screen that small if you are reading PDF files.

You will have to make your own determination, based on your eyes and your documents ...

for me personally, small screens are fine with typical fiction books. I have even read on 3.5" screens and I currently enjoy a 6" screen. However, when it comes to pdf, I would probably insist on at least a 9" screen -- preferably 10".

If I wanted PDF's with annotation I would either: 1) Wait for the product selection to improve; or 2) Get a tablet PC. Of course, the problems with a tablet PC right now are: 1)Price, 2)Bulkiness, and 3) Battery life.

So maybe a UMPC would work fine for you, but if you are asking for my opinion I'd probably pass for now.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Here is an experiment to try. Open up a pdf file on your pc in your favorite pdf reader (adobe, or foxit?). Now resize the window using a ruler so that the area on your screen measures 6 inches diagonal. Now try to read the file.

Also, realize that your pc reader probably has more options for displaying and zooming the pdf than you will find on the UMPC.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #14
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Have you considered the SmartQ 7 MID? It has a 7" screen and is available for around $189 + shipping. There are several threads on here with more information if you wish to follow up.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
kakolirisn

I didn't know that i could make anotations in pdf with tablet windows or vista. So i tried to find out devices that could support foxit reader that is perfect. What is your opinion about windows ce? I have found an interesting device. Also i have found a device with tablet xp. I understand that tablet xp is suitable for pdf annotations? I am not sure if it has a pdf viewer. Do you know what pdf viewer is suitable fo a device like this?