Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #31
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Lindsay Buroker - The Emperor's Edge (a high fantasy in the era of steam)

I know it's bad to rag on self published authors, but this book was terrible. Not so much the writing style, as I think this author could do some really good work, it's just the painful plot elements such as the female lead asking a guard to let her out of prison... then the guard does... or the fact that even the title makes it out to be a steampunk-esque victorian story, but the only references to steam are the fact there's steam trains, steam trucks and steam bulldozers. I think these are used a total of 7 times in the entire book.

I try to read a lot of self published book as there's some absolute gems there like G Wells Taylor, I pretty much spent the last two weeks only reading his books.

I'm hoping that Lindsay improves in later books, and I might download another of her work, but the first book in this series has killed off any enthusiasm I had for these characters and the world.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #32
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I read the first two Thomas Covenant series. I remember that summer. I basically devoured them. One of those "I read that much already?" type reads. I found the books to be quite good.
This is the perfect example of how bad reviews can be useful recs. JSWolf hates LeGuin, loves the Covenant series: his "awful" books could well be my "must-read"s. To test this out, JSWolf, what do you think of (a) Margaret Atwood and (b) Robert Jordan?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #33
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post

I know it's bad to rag on self published authors, but this book was terrible. Not so much the writing style, as I think this author could do some really good work, it's just the painful plot elements such as the female lead asking a guard to let her out of prison... then the guard does... or the fact that even the title makes it out to be a steampunk-esque victorian story, but the only references to steam are the fact there's steam trains, steam trucks and steam bulldozers. I think these are used a total of 7 times in the entire book.

I try to read a lot of self published book as there's some absolute gems there like G Wells Taylor, I pretty much spent the last two weeks only reading his books.

I'm hoping that Lindsay improves in later books, and I might download another of her work, but the first book in this series has killed off any enthusiasm I had for these characters and the world.
I actually enjoyed this one. It was a lot of fun. However, as I wrote in my review of the second novel, "...what worked in the first novel, didn’t work in the second."

It was all just a bit too camp the second time around. I think I would have enjoyed it as a television show more. You're right, the writing itself is good, but I just don't think it's targeted at me. I don't know if I would call it bad fantasy, just "not me" fantasy.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #34
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:

I know it's bad to rag on self published authors, but this book was terrible. Not so much the writing style, as I think this author could do some really good work
I haven't read this one, but I did enjoy Flash Gold which was a steam punk short story of hers. I haven't read the continuation yet, but I plan to in the future.

Quote:
I really enjoyed him too, although I tired of hearing about hernias in the first book. I have read the first in his series plus the short story follow-up (Painkiller) and plan on continuing this series too.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #35
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I really enjoyed him too, although I tired of hearing about hernias in the first book. I have read the first in his series plus the short story follow-up (Painkiller) and plan on continuing this series too.
Yeah the hernia thing got old quite quickly, but there's some genuinely novel concepts in the horror genre, and very well written. I followed up with his WildClown series, and it's hard to get into initially as it's such a silly concept (ghost possesses a sex obsessed detective wearing clown makeup and solves crimes in a changed world where the dead rise, but return as they were... just... dead)

Again though, there are touches of genius here and some unsettling parts that creep you out without going too far (forever children)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I don't know if I would call it bad fantasy, just "not me" fantasy.
Yes, I think this is a better definition, I won't pick at the book any more as it wasn't a painful read, just a confusing mash of cliches.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
This is the perfect example of how bad reviews can be useful recs. JSWolf hates LeGuin, loves the Covenant series: his "awful" books could well be my "must-read"s. To test this out, JSWolf, what do you think of (a) Margaret Atwood and (b) Robert Jordan?
I've not yet read anything by Margaret Atwood. She is on my to get and read list though.

The only Robert Jordan I've read has been some of his Wheel of Time series. He can be both good and bad in the same book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #37
julid
julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh dear. Let's see, I've had bad luck, from time to time. My friends all loved Tad Williams, so I tried Dragonbone Chair. I couldn't get through the first 50 pages. I also wasn't happy with Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentices (that he's less assassin than the title implied irked me) but I've tried her a few more times. Still not the top of my favorites list but she redeemed herself somewhat. I can't think of many that might land on my "OMG never again list." however.
julid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #38
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Tad Williams is definitely on my No Thanks list. Dragonbone Chair was lethally boring, and when I tried a few of his other works I couldn't stand them either.

David Eddings *flees*

Other than that, I don't really remember. I just forget books I don't like, which can be a real blessing.

Mostly, I like some works by an author and some not. Jim C. Hines is a good example - some of his books work for me, but there are several where he comes across as pushing his own worldview too strongly, or the characterization get sacrificed for a joke. So I'm wary of books by him until I read reviews.

Last edited by Rbneader; 06-27-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #39
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
David Eddings *flees*
To each his own. I rather like Eddings, even if he tends to write the same story over and over with the names of the protagonists filed off, much like Ludlum did and Cussler still does.

No masterpieces any of them, but nice mind candy.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I rather like David Eddigs and Tad Williams.

Now what I am wondering is if we can come up with some truly bad fantasy that nobody here will like.

I'll give an example (SF though) of really bad is L. Ron Hubbard. Just awful (being very kind here).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #41
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I enjoyed the Belgariad the first time I read it, when I was the same age as Garion (12-13), but came to see the flaws in it later. I think it might still work as an introductory series. I believe I also read the second set, but can't remember much about it.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #42
bucsie
Connoisseur
bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way I look at it, if the author cannot be interesting in 140 pages, it's not worth bothering with.
I disagree with this statement. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss starts out really slow and boring. I was just about to give up (and I am a compulsive reader, I have to finish unless the book in unbearably crappy) when things picked up, and it turned out to be the best fantasy book I read that year.

And I have read the entire Kushiel's Dart (Phedre) trilogy and I recognize that they also start slow and that the author's style is unpolished in the first half of the novel. But then things get better and more interesting. It's not the kind of fantasy that keeps you at the edge of the seat, but for me it was still entertaining, I liked the whole concept of whoring as a religion .
bucsie is offline   Reply With Quote