Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
bensheimer
bensheimer began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 3gs
Automatic update of metatags?

If I add an epub book to calibre, then notice the title or author is wrong, is there a way to get the internal epub metetags updated when I edit the title or author in calibre? I am not converting the epub since thats what I read.

I have searched the forum and found a suggestion that the "modify epub" plugin would help but it does not.

Thanks for any advice.
bensheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensheimer View Post
I have searched the forum and found a suggestion that the "modify epub" plugin would help but it does not.
What makes you think the Modify ePub plugin is not working? It has always worked for me to do this without any problems!
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
bensheimer

I have an epub where the Title and Author were all wrong. This epub I saved as the original .
I loaded it into calibre. The Title and Author displayed in calibre as wrong.
I edited the Title and Author in Calibre and saved it in the Calibre library.

When comparing the two files with "EPubMetadataEditor", I see that the internal Title and Author are still unchanged.

On the Plugin, do I have to set any options in it? Do I have to use it or will just installing it will solve my problem.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You can set a lot of options to modify the ePubs in different ways.

You typically select the ePubs you wish to modify and then run the plugin.

So the update of metadata in books inside the Calibre library is not automatic. If you feel a need to look at the books inside the Calibre library, then you are most likely using Calibre the wrong way.

The metadata is automatically updated whenever you use Calibre to save or send a book.

The reason for this behaviour is that it would be very slow and inefficient to update the metadata inside the ePubs every time you change the metadata. The books would have to be copied, unzipped, modified, zipped, replaced and deleted for every tiny little change. Calibre would be unusable. It is much faster to only update data in the database metadata.db, and update the actual books only when they leave the library. An exception to this is when you use the OPDS server in calibre. You may then wish to use the Modify EPub plugin to make sure the metadata inside the ePubs is updated.

Last edited by Adoby; 02-12-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensheimer View Post

On the Plugin, do I have to set any options in it? Do I have to use it or will just installing it will solve my problem.

Thanks
bensheimer run it after updating your metadata, make sure you tick the box as per attachment - you can run the plug-in on multiple books
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	101115  

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-12-2013 at 03:16 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #6
bensheimer

Thank you all. You have been a big help. Now I understand it much better and it works for me. Good Forum!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
An exception to this is when you use the OPDS server in calibre.
I may be misunderstanding this sentence, but the metadata for ePubs, basic mobi and azw3 books is updated upon download from the content server too.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I may be misunderstanding this sentence, but the metadata for ePubs, basic mobi and azw3 books is updated upon download from the content server too.
You are quite right! My mistake.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote