Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Your 2013 Writing Goals

I'm still finalizing and it may depend on whether my finances fall apart due to taxes in the first few months but assuming I can keep cranking alone and up the ante here are my ambitious goals:

10-20 Science articles and/or essays published where/when I can and potentially for assembling into a collection

10-20 Essays/memoir/Creative Non-Fiction pieces again published when/where I can but aimed for also assembling into a collection/collections.

0-6 short fiction pieces either mainstream or SF

Possible work on one or more of the Novel ideas I have in the files.

Good Luck Everyone in 2013!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I'd like to write either a novel-length work or a bunch of short stories. Not going to make this a new years' resolution. My usual resolution is that I resolve to make no resolutions.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I'd like to write either a novel-length work or a bunch of short stories. Not going to make this a new years' resolution. My usual resolution is that I resolve to make no resolutions.

Works for me, I think that's what mine boils down to as well actually.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I don't have goals so much as hopes ... and a couple of expectations.

I expect to publish my second novel, and to finish writing my third novel. If these don't happen then I'm in real trouble (won't be the first time).

I hope to actually be able to publish my third novel this year too, but that's a matter for my astrologer (are the stars in alignment? ). I hope to complete a fourth novel that I've been working on as well, but I'm not sure if that one's for publishing yet, we'll see.

As for the rest. That's up to the weather, the mood, the gods, and luck.

... Oh ... I almost forgot. I do have a goal after all, if rather vague. I hope to come up with regular things for my blog. I don't write my novels fast enough for there to be much news, so I'd like to come up with some chatty pieces to keep some activity there. Variety is what I'm aiming for. Perhaps a few pieces related to by books, but otherwise mostly related to life, and maybe some related to my photography. Morning coffee reads sort of stuff.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I want to get my 5th novel out, and at least 50 new articles on my primary blog site.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I would like to finish the couple stories I'm working on. One will have a first draft done by the end of next week....that's my goal anyway, I'm getting close, just have to come up with some grisly scenes, and then it's re-write and off to an editor that already will look at it.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Everyone has expressed worthy goals.

Personally I would like to just to reduce my 1 1/2 year back log to 1 year or less and that is besides my ordinary writing output. I no longer expect that my regular work will diminish like I was thinking 2 years ago and our shop has settled down into a comfortable work routine and we aren't frantically scurrying around like we were doing, believing we had to take every job that came along because the contracts were going to stop coming in.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I want to get at least one novel length work written, edited and published. Maybe a collection of poetry as well & a collection of flash fiction stories written.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I want to get at least one novel length work written, edited and published. Maybe a collection of poetry as well & a collection of flash fiction stories written.
Excellent! Will be looking forward to it!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I want to get my 5th novel out, and at least 50 new articles on my primary blog site.
Weekly updates can't be bad, eh.

Good Luck!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I don't have goals so much as hopes ... and a couple of expectations.

I expect to publish my second novel, and to finish writing my third novel. If these don't happen then I'm in real trouble (won't be the first time).

I hope to actually be able to publish my third novel this year too, but that's a matter for my astrologer (are the stars in alignment? ). I hope to complete a fourth novel that I've been working on as well, but I'm not sure if that one's for publishing yet, we'll see.

As for the rest. That's up to the weather, the mood, the gods, and luck.

... Oh ... I almost forgot. I do have a goal after all, if rather vague. I hope to come up with regular things for my blog. I don't write my novels fast enough for there to be much news, so I'd like to come up with some chatty pieces to keep some activity there. Variety is what I'm aiming for. Perhaps a few pieces related to by books, but otherwise mostly related to life, and maybe some related to my photography. Morning coffee reads sort of stuff.
the stars are in alignment.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Weekly updates can't be bad, eh.

Good Luck!
I was averaging 2 a week - they are not updates, but actual lessons - unrelated to my novels (I have more then one blog...). I am thinking of changing some things around on that site this year and it might fall to 1 a week... just have to see what the next 3-4 months bring.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
bmcox
Connoisseur
bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Admirable goals, all!

I'm (hopefully) publishing seven stories in 2013: two short stories, three novelettes, one novella, and one novel. I am also going to start a couple new columns/blogs: one about writing and one about marketing.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I feel a bit of a fraud for even visiting this area of MR as I am no writer and this will sound a bit silly but here goes.

At the end of 1995 I was living in Israel waiting for various African countries to change their visa regulations so that I could travel through them as apartheid ended in South Africa. Once that happened I set off and rode a bicycle from Jerusalem to South Africa. I kept detailed journals of my journey and now want to write my story. This year I want to at least transcribe the journals and make a start.

This type of thing has no doubt been done many times but I think I have something to say and I would like to say it.

There, got that off my chest and have made a commitment to myself. Feel better already.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I feel a bit of a fraud for even visiting this area of MR as I am no writer and this will sound a bit silly but here goes.

At the end of 1995 I was living in Israel waiting for various African countries to change their visa regulations so that I could travel through them as apartheid ended in South Africa. Once that happened I set off and rode a bicycle from Jerusalem to South Africa. I kept detailed journals of my journey and now want to write my story. This year I want to at least transcribe the journals and make a start.

This type of thing has no doubt been done many times but I think I have something to say and I would like to say it.

There, got that off my chest and have made a commitment to myself. Feel better already.

Oh Wow! That sounds fascinating! I'd love to read something like that!

I don't know if you are looking for help/direction but there are a number of books (and probably websites) that target writing of this type of memoir/essay.
Closed Thread