Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
pravicky
pravicky has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pravicky has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pravicky has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pravicky has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pravicky has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Get somebody who will draw for you some illustrations and you will do your job no matter what
pravicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well the most satisfying part of my writing year was the 12 or so Pencil Portraits I drew. see my web or print gallery.

Loads of fun and satisfaction from that, but no income there either.

Will do more writing and art in 2013! Beginning to set my goals now.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
bmcox
Connoisseur
bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Yep. I graduated from my MFA program (2011), revised my thesis (2012) and started self publishing my stories. I'm really looking forward 2013 though, as I have created more of a defined publication schedule for myself.

Much luck, prosperity and productivity to everyone in the New Year!
bmcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcox View Post
Yep. I graduated from my MFA program (2011), revised my thesis (2012) and started self publishing my stories. I'm really looking forward 2013 though, as I have created more of a defined publication schedule for myself.

Much luck, prosperity and productivity to everyone in the New Year!
Congratulations! And best of luck!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I didn't. I published a book of wargame scenarios as planned. I'd hoped to have my next book out by now, but it still needs editing & proof-reading.

I have an excuse, though: my wife gave birth to our second child in March I'd forgotten just how little free time you have when there's a small baby to look after.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #21
kennyc

Congratulations! Your next book is/was a boy!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I never set goals of any kind, only tasks. When I finish the task, I'm finished. I started writing a book in May. I'm up to 135,000 words now. I probably have another 20,000 to go. When it's finished, it's finished.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #23
kennyc

Whatever works. Whatever you want to call it.

Congrats! A next one planned?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #24
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
An impressive description of your situation and achievements, Kenny. I'm impressed and wish you well in 2013. Hope you manage to generate enough income from writing to let you continue with it. I do hope that, when the breakthrough comes, things get easier. So people keep saying. So 2013 could well be your year.

For my part, I got my second novel finished, did not find an agent for it, so published it myself via Amazon. It's got a bit more notice than the first one, but still not much, and I'm looking into marketing plans for 2013 and I'll continue the hunt to find an agent.

I had also hoped to re-edit the first novel, which is not my best work, just in case a reader of my second novel wants to see what else I've written. Number one fell a long way short of #2. I wanted to finish the re-write by Christmas, but didn't and now I'm looking at Easter.

I've shelved my original #3 after 2 chapters, and am working on a more appealing #4 instead. If I get that one finished this year it'll be a miracle. So far it's taken me a couple of years to go from planning a novel to having a book in pdf, mobi and epub form.

But my goals are small beer by comparison with yours, so I'll just wish you all the luck in the world, and maybe, if you ask me again in a year's time, I'll tell you how I got on with present goals. Let's make that a date.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #25
kennyc

Sounds like excellent progress James! Many self-published authors have hit it big in the web-publishing world, you may be next!

I appreciate you kind words, my plan is to keep pushing, building my science/essay/poetry and maybe even some fiction and see what happens.

Do keep me/us posted on your progress, I wish you the best!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #26
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well the most satisfying part of my writing year was the 12 or so Pencil Portraits I drew. see my web or print gallery.

Loads of fun and satisfaction from that, but no income there either.

Will do more writing and art in 2013! Beginning to set my goals now.
I enjoy the drawing as well, but I am just so so with the techniques. Better with AutoCad and a little Wacom. Ok with maps, terrain, buildings, ships and equipment, and the solitary strange figure on an alien landscape.
I have a son though who is an excellent artist in all media. He is immersed in the latest art and exhibition goings on around the world.

At 12 years old, he was better than I ever will be. Heck, maybe that was at 10.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #27
Alex Bleach
Enthusiast
Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC - PDF & Kindle Desktop
I achieved some goals, but I had hoped to have two short stories finished by now and maybe a compendium - a very optimistic task to achieve in a year. However, I did finish my first short story, create a cover for it, self-publish it to Smashwords, set up a twitter and a blog (although my blog has barely been updated for nearly a month). Not too bad, hopefully I'll achieve even more this year, now the groundwork's been done.
Alex Bleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bleach View Post
I achieved some goals, but I had hoped to have two short stories finished by now and maybe a compendium - a very optimistic task to achieve in a year. However, I did finish my first short story, create a cover for it, self-publish it to Smashwords, set up a twitter and a blog (although my blog has barely been updated for nearly a month). Not too bad, hopefully I'll achieve even more this year, now the groundwork's been done.
Excellent!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #29
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I didn't have any goals for 2012, but ended up with a novel first draft.

Not sure if I should set a goal for 2013 or not.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #30
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I didn't have any goals for 2012, but ended up with a novel first draft.

Not sure if I should set a goal for 2013 or not.

Graham
Seems you are doing well without them, why mess with success eh?