Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
kingtermite
KingTermite
kingtermite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Unhappy The Kindle is dead. Long live the Kindle.

<Rant>

I got my first Kindle (and first e-book reader) about 3 weeks ago. I settled on a Kindle Touch after looking at the specs.

I read 3 books on the Kindle Touch and was impressed at how much faster I could read on it versus a real book. However, I was having a few issues.

1) Every once in a while it seemed to randomly jump many pages forward or backwards when I tried to touch for next page. I'd have to tinker for a bit to figure out which direction it went and work my way back.

2) The "previous page" area was touchy. If I was just slightly low (I'm guessing that was the problem) it would go forward instead of backwards (even though the instructions said nothing about touching on the left anywhere to go forward).

3) A couple of times it just went completely wonky. I'd hit the on button and it wouldn't turn on. I'd fiddle with it for 10 minutes before finally realizing holding the power button in would reset it. Sometimes that would bring it back (sometimes it needed the reset a few times).

4) Sometimes you hit the area of the screen (lower right) to page forward and nothing would happen. So you are sitting there wondering if it registered the touch or you need to press again. Many times I give up after 5-10 seconds and touch again, then it forwards 2 pages (because it was "just" about to turn page for the first touch). Even normally the page turn could be anywhere from 1-20 seconds with it probably average on about 4-5 seconds.

So I finally decided yesterday that since it was only 3 weeks I'd return it and get the Kindle 4 NT instead. I've always had bad luck with touch screens, so I thought maybe a standard button interface would be more solid and less prone to those nuances.

I was trying to get into the Kindle to reset it to factory condition and as if the device sensed my feeling it really played hard ball with me. It rebooted and every time I got back in to hit any menu item or anything, it would go back into reboot again. It did this over and over about 15 times before I finally got in long enough to reset to factory defaults.

I had no troubles returning and came home with the Kindle 4 NT last night. So far, this Kindle seems MUCH better. Buttons are much more responsive. It turns on in about 1 second instead of 5-10. Paging forward while reading is no longer iffy. I press the button it forwards. No more waiting to wonder if the touch registered or not. When it does change page its typically immediate...no more long waits to find out if its going to happen or not.

</Rant>

From my experience - stay away from the Kindle Touch and get the regular Kindle 4 NT.
kingtermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Funny, my experience is the exact opposite

Had a K3 before, accidentally broke it and got a KT instead. I have never experienced any of the issues you mention, and I find the Touch interface far superior to the fiddly buttons, especially for menus etc.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I have both, and you're right, the cheaper Kindle offers the better reading experience. Kindle Touch gets bogged down and then the screen stops updating, even though it's still processing screen taps, so when the screen catches back up, you're not where you left off. ... and that's the least of my issues with it.

Last edited by trekchick; 03-17-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: clarity
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Maybe you were a little heavy-thumbed on the screen. I had that problem a little bit with the touch model when I was playing with it, just not too sure how sensitive it was. While I don't really care much for the touch screen, it didn't seem too bad. Either way, glad you settled for an ereader.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Touch screens hate me. So I've chosen to hate 'em right back. They started it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
kingtermite
KingTermite
kingtermite began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Touch screens hate me. So I've chosen to hate 'em right back. They started it.
I'm in that same category. I don't know why I second guessed myself in the beginning. I should have known that and opted against it from the beginning for that very reason.
kingtermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I've not experienced problems navigating on my Touch (I also use my DXG and have the KK). The only occasion when a fast-foward of multiple pages occurred was due to my heavy-handed thumb. In your case it sounds like a matter of operator error with the touch screen.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I had some of these problems originally with my KT. However, with the software update it seems to be behaving much better. No more skipping forward pages, quicker page turns, and better registration of touches.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
If you'd tried swiping instead of tapping, you might have had better luck. Some of the problems you were having wouldn't have occurred, like finding the line between previous/next page.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Touch is not a replacement for buttons.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
Returned my Touch and kept the K4NT which I like a lot.
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
lukeroge
Enthusiast
lukeroge began at the beginning.

I have the touch and I've never had any issues at all. Works like a charm. On the other hand, my older (and very short lived) Kindle 3 screen broke after only having it for a week, which really sucked. (I got the touch as a replacement for this gifted K3)
lukeroge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My Kindle 2 will outlive them all.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I haven't had any problems with the touch screen on my Kindle. At least no problems I didn't cause.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My Kindle 2 will outlive them all.

Mine, too. This old antique sits in a drawer and does nothing. I'm thinking of sitting on it, just so I can say it doesn't work anymore.

Oh, well......

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 4 nt, kindle touch, touch