Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Book Club Voting Polls
Should Poll results always be Hidden until voting ends? 14 50.00%
Should Polls alternate each month between Hidden and Viewable? 14 50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #16
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Hopefully, the suggestion that whatever sticks now is locked in for the next year actually holds true and we can go back to being a book club again.
Speaking of being a book club, did anyone read A Canticle for Leibowitz? I read it, and enjoyed it. It's still relevant to us in 2011. But now, a month after reading it, I find I don't have much to say about it.

Only 6 people have posted in the discussion thread.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #17
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Can't disagree there. I did actually vote in each of the polls, but I'm beginning to think that this book club is much more about discussing voting methodology and the validity or otherwise of monthly themes than about discussing the books themselves.

Hopefully, the suggestion that whatever sticks now is locked in for the next year actually holds true and we can go back to being a book club again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Speaking of being a book club, did anyone read A Canticle for Leibowitz? I read it, and enjoyed it. It's still relevant to us in 2011. But now, a month after reading it, I find I don't have much to say about it.

Well looking at the November 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote I observe that A Canticle For Leibowitz accrued 12 votes; I was not one of these. Looking at the subsequent discussion thread for this book 2 out of these 12 have actually participated in the discussion so far; ~17% . Looking at the other 59 who voted I am the only one to have made any comments. The other comments so far have come from people who did not vote.

So what to say about this? Are people only inclined to participate when their book is selected? Is the 'horse race' of more interest than actual participation? Are these monthly polls and selections of more interest to many in what the polls and polling discussion say about what sort of books people here are reading than actually reading the book and/or participating in the discussion?

Last edited by Hamlet53; 11-28-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #18
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post

Didn't read this one. I waited too long to jump in and purchase and then couldn't get it. Hanging out for A Christmas Carol in December though.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #19
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I neither voted for, read nor discussed this one.

Regardless of my vote, if I am interested in the winning book, I will make an effort to participate. Time & money are my major deciding factors.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Tom, given that we have a tie here, and we have a clear winner of hidden in in the other, why are you so instant on having some open votes? What is your agenda? The people have spoken and overall hidden's won. Please give in and go with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I voted for hidden as well, but the first poll showed there was significant support for either visible or alternating, and the second....

Haven't we been over this already?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #22
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Since this isn't about life and death, but just a book club vote, maybe it could be a thought to give in a bit and compromise, to make people feel more comfortable.
The longer I live the more I learn the importance of the word "compromise" and how much it can mean to have the ability to give in a bit, however "right" I think (or even know) I am.
Yes, you may say a majority wants hidden votes. But not everyone does. Is it really so bad to have everyone have it their way at least part of the time???
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #23
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^What? Middle ground? Everything's not black and white?!? Oh the humanity.

I'm in complete agreement. I think seeing the votes in progess is silly, but in the end I don't really care. I don't lobby my books so I'll never see one of my nominations win. In the end, if I think I want to read what gets voted as the winner, I'll read it otherwise I won't. Life will go on. I'll still nominate something I want to read the next time a category comes up I've got something for and it will finish third in the voting.

I'm just getting all excited for the Jim Butcher versus the world fight for the Runner-Up category in January.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think Storm Front came in second in ten of the eleven 2011 categories, so the January poll will probably consist of Storm Front and one other book. I'm not sure off the top of my head if it was nominated for the Romance category or not.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #25
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think Storm Front came in second in ten of the eleven 2011 categories, so the January poll will probably consist of Storm Front and one other book. I'm not sure off the top of my head if it was nominated for the Romance category or not.

I didn't check about this: "I think Storm Front came in second in ten of the eleven 2011 categories," but I do know that it will be competing with Lolita.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #26
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For those scoring at home, these are the runners up for 2011 that would be up for voting for January's Book Club selection:

Code:
J American Gods                        Neil Gaiman
F Pride and Prejudice                  Jane Austen 
M Orthodoxy                            GK Chesterton 
A A Confederacy of Dunces              John Kennedy Toole
M 1984                                 George Orwell
J The Spy Who Came in from the Cold    John le Carré 
J A Game of Thrones                    George R. R. Martin
A Black Rain                           Masuji Ibuse       
S Storm Front                          Jim Butcher        
O Storm Front                          Jim Butcher
N Hyperion                             Dan Simmons
D Lolita                               Vladimir Nabokov
Do we have any rules on vote splitting?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #27
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
For those scoring at home, these are the runners up for 2011 that would be up for voting for January's Book Club selection:

Code:
J American Gods                        Neil Gaiman
F Pride and Prejudice                  Jane Austen 
M Orthodoxy                            GK Chesterton 
A A Confederacy of Dunces              John Kennedy Toole
M 1984                                 George Orwell
J The Spy Who Came in from the Cold    John le Carré 
J A Game of Thrones                    George R. R. Martin
A Black Rain                           Masuji Ibuse       
S Storm Front                          Jim Butcher        
O Storm Front                          Jim Butcher
N Hyperion                             Dan Simmons
D Lolita                               Vladimir Nabokov
Do we have any rules on vote splitting?
Thanks for pulling this together. I did not realize that the runner-up in the poll for January 2011 runner-up books from 2010 would be added to the January 2012 runner-up poll. Zombie book!

Looking at this list I am surprised at my percent success at first nominating a book that will be the runner-up. I guess this counterbalances my total failure at first nominating winners.

Vote splitting? If you mean that the poll should include Storm Front twice, I see no sense to that.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Vote splitting? If you mean that the poll should include Storm Front twice, I see no sense to that.
No sense, but lots of giggles. And I'd be opposed to combining those votes. UNFAIR!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Storm Front came in second in both September and October. The closest third place for September/October was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. It garnered 12 votes, which was 15.38% of October's total. I suggest we place that one in among the nominations, since it makes little sense to list Storm Front twice. Our other option would be to have only 10 books in the poll.

As for January, the category states "Runner Up (no nominations, a vote of all the runners-up nominations from the last 11 months)", so we would only be choosing among 11 books. That's the way it was done last year. A pity, as American Gods could have proved interesting.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
No sense, but lots of giggles. And I'd be opposed to combining those votes. UNFAIR!