Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Red face New Dead Horse: Faulkner!

I freely and upfront admit that this is a COMPLETELY DEAD HORSE, but speaking of pricing and eBooks and backlists...

I've been waiting for Faulkner to be turned into ebook goodness because I'd like to replace my copy of "The Sound and the Fury". Faulkner, it should be pointed out, died in 1962, but his works are still under copyright in the U.S. due to the Mickey Mouse extension, or so I understand.

B&N had an excited WE HAVE FAULKNER NOW COME BUY post on their blog the other day and I wrote a little "buy sound and fury" to-do note for myself, and zipped over to the story today and... $9.99 for the Nook Book edition. And $8.12 for the paperback, brand new.

Guess I should have seen that coming.

So now I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "Self, you haven't read 'The Sound and the Fury' since college and the odds of you digging it out to read it for pleasure any day now are basically zero. Just sell the copy you have to Half Price Books for the penny they will offer you and go on with your non-cluttering efforts."

And, the thing is, that's probably what I'll do. I'd LIKE to have Faulkner's classic work in my e-library, but there's just no way I'm going to spend more than $5 for a should-be-public-domain-anyway book that I can pick up in paperback form for a dollar. Seriously.

But I feel bad about that. Probably it took forever to convince the folks down at Knopf Doubleday that the effort of slapping Faulkner into ebook form would be profitable, and I hate that I'm not helping out to prove that publishing the backlist can be successful, BUT... a classic I'm not going to pick up and read anytime soon and that I'm mainly acquiring for "library-stuffing" isn't worth more than $5 to me.

Without overly BEATING A DEAD HORSE, and without a lot of side-nonsense about piracy and so forth, can we talk about how it makes people feel when their hoped-for backlist items come out at (what they feel is) a prohibitive price? I'd be interested to hear about that from a brand-loyalty perspective, if nothing else.

Thanks.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Without overly BEATING A DEAD HORSE, and without a lot of side-nonsense about piracy and so forth, can we talk about how it makes people feel when their hoped-for backlist items come out at (what they feel is) a prohibitive price? I'd be interested to hear about that from a brand-loyalty perspective, if nothing else.
To be perfectly honest, I just don't sweat it that much. I prefer ebooks for their convenience, but I have no particular aversion to buying dead-trees if need be (especially if they're ridonkulously cheaper). I'm not a collector, though--nor a re-reader of fiction--so I tend to go with what makes financial sense at the time and skip the wailing and gnashing of teeth (not that that's what you've done) over the injustice of it all. There's a lot of backlist items that I'd love to read (regardless of the medium), but I can wait... or buy used paper. *shrugs*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
To be perfectly honest, I just don't sweat it that much. I prefer ebooks for their convenience, but I have no particular aversion to buying dead-trees if need be (especially if they're ridonkulously cheaper). I'm not a collector, though--nor a re-reader of fiction--so I tend to go with what makes financial sense at the time and skip the wailing and gnashing of teeth (not that that's what you've done) over the injustice of it all.
Do you just toss/sell/donate the books when you're done with them, then?

I'm a bit of a collector and I've been trying to use ebooks to clear out my shelves. Hence my heavy sighs when these things occur...
Old 06-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

I'm a bit of a collector and I've been trying to use ebooks to clear out my shelves. Hence my heavy sighs when these things occur...
They're like socks in a dryer.... they eventually just disappear on their own, or dissolve, or something.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post

Actually, it gets worse. What do you do when a backlist title comes out and it's poorly proofed? I have a list of around 20 books I'd like to buy, but if I have to do heavy reproofing, it's not worth the money/bother.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Proofing is also a major problem.

I HAVE found that if I bug B&N (or whoever) about it, it sometimes gets fixed, but as you say, I'm not being paid to be a gorram editor.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
If you can wait until 2013, and Canada doesn't give in to the US/EU and bump up their copyright term, it will probably show up for free at PG-Canada. Strictly speaking, Americans aren't supposed to download works that are still in copyright in the US from there, but my view is that I'm not interested in paying a lot of money to money-grubbing estates and publishers. When Faulkner wrote The Sound and the Fury, he expected the copyright to expire in 1986. It's not like he's motivated to write anything else because of the copyright extensions, either.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
Rainmaker
Zealot
Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G
They say an image represents 1000 words:

I think copyright is legit when you are trying to prevent others from manipulating your work.
I don't agree when copyright is applied by third party's, defending the work of another because of the profits.
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
If you can wait until 2013, and Canada doesn't give in to the US/EU and bump up their copyright term, it will probably show up for free at PG-Canada. Strictly speaking, Americans aren't supposed to download works that are still in copyright in the US from there, but my view is that I'm not interested in paying a lot of money to money-grubbing estates and publishers. When Faulkner wrote The Sound and the Fury, he expected the copyright to expire in 1986. It's not like he's motivated to write anything else because of the copyright extensions, either.
Yeah - I do start to feel that way myself sometimes. I'm actually a big believer in copyright as an incentive for talented authors to add to the collective pool of literature. But I feel these endlessly lingering copyrights of today are overstepping the limits of what I can accept.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:02 AM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
They say an image represents 1000 words:

I think copyright is legit when you are trying to prevent others from manipulating your work.
I don't agree when copyright is applied by third party's, defending the work of another because of the profits.
ARGH. THAT IMAGE.

Slapped in a DVD yesterday to watch and it had that unskippable YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR stupid anti-piracy commercial on it, and I was furious.

I'm like, I already bought the DVD, for gawds sake. If I was a pirate, I'd be downloading the rip that DIDN'T have this stupid commercial. QUIT PREACHING TO ME AND LET ME WATCH MY MOVIE.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:12 AM   #11
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Then as well as the stupid anti-piracy ads, you get lots of ads for films being issued on DVD at the same time by the same company. In some cases this includes the ad for the film you have bought the DVD for!

I wonder when they are going to realise how this sort of nonsense is playing into the hands of the "pirates".
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #12
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Then as well as the stupid anti-piracy ads, you get lots of ads for films being issued on DVD at the same time by the same company. In some cases this includes the ad for the film you have bought the DVD for!

I wonder when they are going to realise how this sort of nonsense is playing into the hands of the "pirates".
February 31, 3030....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #13
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
I'm like, I already bought the DVD, for gawds sake. If I was a pirate, I'd be downloading the rip that DIDN'T have this stupid commercial. QUIT PREACHING TO ME AND LET ME WATCH MY MOVIE.
It's been posted before, but I find this graphic resonates in today's world of choice:

MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

That graphic is poetry. I wanted to weep, it's so true.

I actually don't mind previews that much... and lately everything we've bought has let us skip, so that's good. (Although I have the Blu-ray commercials. HEY MOVIE-MAKERS. IF I BOUGHT THE BLU-RAY VERSION, YOU DON'T HAVE TO SELL ME ON BLU-RAY ANY FURTHER.)

But the PIRACY IS ILLEGAL warnings are ludicrous, because I bought this DVD dangit. Go away and let me watch it in peace.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I freely and upfront admit that this is a COMPLETELY DEAD HORSE, but speaking of pricing and eBooks and backlists...

I've been waiting for Faulkner to be turned into ebook goodness because I'd like to replace my copy of "The Sound and the Fury". Faulkner, it should be pointed out, died in 1962, but his works are still under copyright in the U.S. due to the Mickey Mouse extension, or so I understand.

B&N had an excited WE HAVE FAULKNER NOW COME BUY post on their blog the other day and I wrote a little "buy sound and fury" to-do note for myself, and zipped over to the story today and... $9.99 for the Nook Book edition. And $8.12 for the paperback, brand new.

Guess I should have seen that coming.

So now I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "Self, you haven't read 'The Sound and the Fury' since college and the odds of you digging it out to read it for pleasure any day now are basically zero. Just sell the copy you have to Half Price Books for the penny they will offer you and go on with your non-cluttering efforts."

And, the thing is, that's probably what I'll do. I'd LIKE to have Faulkner's classic work in my e-library, but there's just no way I'm going to spend more than $5 for a should-be-public-domain-anyway book that I can pick up in paperback form for a dollar. Seriously.

But I feel bad about that. Probably it took forever to convince the folks down at Knopf Doubleday that the effort of slapping Faulkner into ebook form would be profitable, and I hate that I'm not helping out to prove that publishing the backlist can be successful, BUT... a classic I'm not going to pick up and read anytime soon and that I'm mainly acquiring for "library-stuffing" isn't worth more than $5 to me.

Thanks.
I feel the same way about Hemingway, but for his paperbacks. I don't see why I should spend 15 or 16 bucks on a thin trade paperback. I hate when publishers don't make mass market versions available. I imagine if they ever make Hemingway's books e-books they'll be priced similarly, though.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote