Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
At what battery level do you charge your Nook?

I recall that with lithium ion batteries, it was optimal to charge when the battery reached ~40%. Is this also true of lithium polymer batteries (the type used in the Nook)?
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
I was told to charge my battery when my Nook Color reaches 20% battery life left.
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I charge it when it shuts itself off or around 5%, whichever comes first. I come from the school that generally believes a battery lasts longer when you run it all the way down before charging it. Just MHO.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
JMyers
Enthusiast
JMyers began at the beginning.

Device: classic nook
I usually charge it when it's about 25% or less. If I am going to be going out and bringing my nook with me I will plan ahead and charge it a few hours before I plan on leaving the house. One time I forgot and went to B&N when I got the warning that my battery was low and the nook was shutting down.
JMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I charge it when it shuts itself off or around 5%, whichever comes first. I come from the school that generally believes a battery lasts longer when you run it all the way down before charging it. Just MHO.
A little Googling says this:

"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges."

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

(It also says that the "fuel gauge" on the device may become inreasingly inaccurate if you don't fully disharge the battery every 30 or so charge cycles, due to calibration issues.)
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
A little Googling says this:

"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles.
This information is for a lithium ion battery, while the battery in the nook is a lithium polymer battery, which has different charging preferences. Lithium polymer can't be trickle charged, so short charge cycles are not recommended. I couldn't find any hard-and-fast rules about repeat full discharging, but I would imagine it's best to plug in between 5% and 40%, and avoid plugging in when the unit is more than 75% charged. Also, leaving the nook plugged in for long periods of time won't keep the battery charged, because the device shuts off charging at a certain point (it never truly reaches "100%"), so unplug it when it's finished charging and let it drain before plugging it back in.

Last edited by kezza; 01-03-2011 at 07:33 PM.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
So we shouldn't leave it plugged in..........or we risk a diminished battery life?

I've been leaving mine plugged in quite a bit.......perhaps not wise.......
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
The age old debate with any and all gadgets.

This may help:

http://batteryuniversity.com/
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
The Nook Color uses a Lithium-ion Polymer battery, and based on the likeness of the battery technology in the iPod, as well as no ill-effects mentioned from early charging in the NC user's guide, I have to believe you can charge this thing at any point in the discharge cycle.

They do ask that you refrain from fully discharging the battery.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
So we shouldn't leave it plugged in..........or we risk a diminished battery life?

I've been leaving mine plugged in quite a bit.......perhaps not wise.......
I would guess that the folks that designed the battery/charger combination have taken this into account with protection circuitry, and you can rest assured that you're fine to leave it plugged in as long as you wish.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

This would probably be a good place to reiterate that B&N does not want you to shut your NC off while charging. Let it sleep while it charges.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
waffleman
Enthusiast
waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
This would probably be a good place to reiterate that B&N does not want you to shut your NC off while charging. Let it sleep while it charges.
I did not realize this. Any idea why?
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
I don't know why either, but I can tell you that you can't charge the Nook Classic while its turned off. If you have it off and plug it in for a charge, it turns itself on, and then goes to sleep.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
Quote:
I don't care anymore if the screen is on or off when I plug it in, but I don't power the unit down. Not like it mattered because a rooted Nook is probably just going to spontaneously reboot itself randomly anyway, and in the process powering itself down several times. I just close my case so I don't have to be annoyed by this.

I charge whenever my battery widget turns red. I guess that's around 25% power left.
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Read Write View Post
...I just close my case so I don't have to be annoyed by this...
Too funny.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote