Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
cyana
Enthusiast
cyana began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Calibre Content Server in Cloud via WebDAV

Dear all,

I have a Cloud service with WebDAV interface. I would like to set up a Content Server in the Cloud with browser access. Has anyone done this before ?

What I've done so far: Set up a portable environment on USB stick and a virtual netdrive in the Cloud. I can upload books by draging them into Calibre, however the performance is quite slow. To access the Cloud library a web interface would be much more effective. When I start the Calibre server, I'm getting an internal error (OK, it was a nice try and I did not really believe that it would work that simple )

What I want to achieve is a web access for me and my family to our ebook library for our iPads from anywhere in the world. It is possible to access the epub files via Air Sharing and put them into iBooks (already tested), however the web interface of Calibre lets you search among authors, tags and titles and shows the description for the books, so you can navigate to the book you would like to read.

best greetings and thanks
cyana
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
Hi Cyana, welcome to the forums!

I had a similar situation. We all have idevices that we wanted to access, but I found the content server was not the best option. I have spent hours (months really) tweaking the database, and didn't want anyone being able to delete, corrupt or otherwise ruin the database. I wanted a web-based, read only solution.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=calibre2odps is a link to the information on the Calibre2odps tool. This does exactly what I wanted. I used dropbox at first, but the limited capacity didn't work for my library but cloud based works fine. I now have a working solution in our NAS storage web enabled system.

The upshot is, calibre2odps will allow you to have web access to your books, a cover browsing interface, read only access so no damage to your database while still allowing you all to copy the books you want to your ipads. Let me know if you need some more info.

Last edited by Stampercam; 12-23-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Stampercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
cyana
Enthusiast
cyana began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hello Stampercam,

thanks for your friendly welcome and for pointing me to calibre2opds ! It sounds like this is also the perfect solution for me and I will give it a try ASAP - just one question in advance - when it is read only, how do you upload new eBooks ?

I found out meanwhile, that calibre crashes when you try to reconnect to the cloud library. So while setting up a new library in the cloud and feeding it with eBooks works slow but fine, once you close calibre the magic seems to be gone because you cannot recionnect anymore.

greetings and thanks !
cyana
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
The catalog is read only, but the actual calibre database is still able to be addd to. In our home I'm the only person who does that, I'm a little possessive lol. I rerun the catalog every now and then to make sure new purchases are added to it, but that would depend on how often you want to run it. As for the crashing with the cloud library, I don't have mine on a cloud anymore as it was too big, so you may need to search the forums a bit more for that one.

We actually run a network attached storage system that is web enabled, so everything is still physically here at home. I just need to maintain a good backup system.
Stampercam is offline   Reply With Quote