Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #1621
fluffier
fluffier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Have you tried the "Large Print Mode" that is in the beta features? You can also change the scaling used. Search for "LargePrintFontScale" to see how.

I would expect this to be a physical limitation. 1% is probably the lowest level the LEDs can be set.

Thank you for your answer.

Large print mode does the trick for the dictionary but it also makes everything look bigger (menus, etc). In a different thread someone told me a patch to fix it but I thought I might mention it here in case a kobo developer sees it.

Regarding brightness, you might be right, but if someone has the knowledge to test it, it would be great to know for sure. I really dont see a point to having a (too) bright light to read when is dark, it is almost like reading from a mobile phone.
fluffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #1622
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffier View Post
Regarding brightness, you might be right, but if someone has the knowledge to test it, it would be great to know for sure. I really dont see a point to having a (too) bright light to read when is dark, it is almost like reading from a mobile phone.
A few years ago, people were dimming Kobos by adding a resistor as described (with pictures) in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=2517671
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #1623
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffier View Post
I asked Kobo. The answer is, "for stability purposes they’re set at a particular level. if they go any lower then you might get flicker or no light."

Individual devices might go lower, but, it probably won't be possible to get consistent results.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #1624
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Have you tried using kepub instead of epub?

Yes, but I haven’t noticed a difference. I will try again since it’s a good suggestion, and I haven’t tested syncing with the latest firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #1625
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
He probably has when he is talking about syncing between the apps and a reader. As far as I know, Kobo does not support syncing between sideloaded books at all.

That being said, they should, and in the process, maybe also redo their apps to match the experience and level of comfort you get with iBooks or Kindle.

Since I last tested this last year, I can’t recall if the books in question were sideloaded or not. You two have given me something to do over the weekend! 😄

Advert
Old 02-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #1626
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
The problem for Kobo is they don't have the servers needed to support this. Amazon, Google and Apple are much more than ebook store companies, they sell cloud services, so adding cloud support for ebooks is not such a big effort, and they offer it for free because normally the libraries won't take more than 2G top for user (I'm not talking about outliers like some people here, but the average customer).
Kobo has some cloud support to allow users to synchronize the Kobo bought content, but adding support for sideloaded books would mean adding a lot more space to those servers, at their expense, because you're not going to pay for that, will you? For example, take a look at what Bookari charges for cloud support to synchronize your content (that is one reading app that I know offers that additional service). For big companies like Amazon, Apple and Google is small potatoes, but Kobo is not there.

Great points. As for Apple, they charge a minimal 99¢ for the most basic cloud syncing above their free service. Nintendo charges $20 or so for the year for cloud access on the Switch. I would pay extra if Kobo needed the capital to implement better syncing, but they already offer bookmark syncing. Adding support for notes and highlights is digital peanuts. It’s text and coordinate markers. We’re not talking about hosting home movies.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:39 AM   #1627
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I think this is related to something davidfor has said before: you pay extra but... how many people would pay that extra so it's interesting for Kobo (being peanuts or watermelons...)?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:48 AM   #1628
fluffier
fluffier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I asked Kobo. The answer is, "for stability purposes they’re set at a particular level. if they go any lower then you might get flicker or no light."

Individual devices might go lower, but, it probably won't be possible to get consistent results.
Thanks for asking, I appreciate it
fluffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:54 AM   #1629
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
When asking the question if I want to mark some books as unread: don't make them recent if I say yes (or no).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:45 AM   #1630
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
When asking the question if I want to mark some books as unread: don't make them recent if I say yes (or no).
Seconded, thirded, fourthed, fifthed, and second fifthed!
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:37 AM   #1631
apgimenez
apgimenez began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
For Kobo Forma:

* Clock display at footer or header
* Go to page
* Good contrast
apgimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:32 PM   #1632
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
* Dedicated Wikipedia app (wiki in browser is readable but not ideal--I've been spoiled by the amazing Android Wikipedia app)
* RSS reader
* An official method for pushing books to the Kobo wirelessly. Even if it was just pressing a button to open the FTP port on the Kobo and letting me quickly transfer stuff over, that would be better than nothing.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #1633
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAsshat View Post
An official method for pushing books to the Kobo wirelessly. Even if it was just pressing a button to open the FTP port on the Kobo and letting me quickly transfer stuff over, that would be better than nothing.
I'll drink to that. 😊

Last edited by Number9; 05-06-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #1634
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use the tag "author sort" for sorting by author (or let us know the name of the (additional) tag you use), and do a straight sort (no interpretation of the sort tag). Also use a series sort tag.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #1635
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Make a tap at the bottom of a page bring up the menu (if that is what is chosen in settings.)

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo