Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-21-2016, 01:19 AM   #1
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Onyx Boox Kepler series

As mentioned in the 'Boox C67ml Carta2 preliminary review' thread and a recently posted video, Onyx Boox is releasing, in May, a new range of 'Kepler' eReaders (not to be confused with their i63SL Kepler released circa 2013), consisting of a Kepler Lite, a Kepler and a Kepler Pro. No details have been given about the Kepler and the Kepler Lite, other than they lack the Pro's page-turn buttons.

Kepler Series

Kepler Pro:

Quote:
  • 6 inch HD E-ink screen,Resolution 1442x1072(300dpi)
  • Flat screen pannel , better handheld experience
  • Built-in Front Light , reading anytime anywhere
  • Support WIFI+bluetooth wireless networking
  • 16G large storage,support MicroSD expansion
  • 3000mha battery ,only around 205,light and portable
  • Android 4.0 OS , support for more 3rd part APP
  • ...Full Screen Capacitance Touch...
  • ...Bluetooth 4.0...
  • ...Stronger WIFI Antenna...
  • ...Metal caseing[sic]...Aluminium alloy shell...
  • ...CPU Cortex-A9 1G Hz...
  • ...RAM 1G LPDDR2...
  • ...Audio Non-support...
  • ...Digitzier with stylus...
  • ...158.9x114x8mm...
  • ... around 205g
Given that the specs explicitly disclaim (direct) audio support, and specify that an "External Bluetooth headset" is needed for use of MP3 and WAV formats, I'm not sure what the two circular holes on either side of the microSD slot are for (normally I'd assume that one of them is a stereo socket).

The charbox video also mentions that at least one version of this series is waterproof.

It is also possible, from the OB listing and the video, that it has both capacitative touch and a digitizer.

All in all it looks like quite an attractive package, and I will be seriously looking at it (in competition to the Boyue T63/Shine/JDReader, which is supposed to be coming out in May as well). The only question mark I have over it is how accessible the small side page turn buttons will be, particularly when the reader is in its case.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:13 AM   #2
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Oh wow,I saw the charbax video but didn't expect this to have a digitizer! Now I'm a bit disappointed I just got the T68 recently, as i wasn't expecting any small format readers with stylus support any time soon. Probably now I'll wait till readers with imx7 come out some day, but I will be very interested to hear more about small devices with digitizers (although I'd hope there will be a 6.8 inch reader with stylus too, the slightly larger screen is very nice).

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited by franzli; 04-21-2016 at 02:20 PM.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:06 AM   #3
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Emphasis on the word "possible". The "Digitzier with stylus" only appears once, in the text specifications, and not either in conjunction with the capacitive touch, nor in the pictures highlighting its features, therefore it is also possible that this is a simple typo.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Is it Pearl, or Carta?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Is it Pearl, or Carta?
Specs say "6 inch pearl", but I have yet to hear of a 1448x1072 6" screen that isn't Carta, so I think this is most probably a misprint.

Also, even if 1448x1072 6" Pearl screen were possible, it doesn't make sense to put such old technology into what is a new & premium product (especially when the older, non-premium C67 Carta 2 has a 1448x1072 6" Carta screen).

Last edited by Hrafn; 04-21-2016 at 08:58 AM. Reason: it doesn't make sense
Old 04-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's a shame that the Kepler Pro is not using a larger screen than 6".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I beg to differ. With the Onyx Max, N96, i86, & T68 they've put an enormous emphasis on large-screen models recently. All that's been coming out for 6" in recent years is screen-tech updates to the venerable C67 range. I think it's well past time the 6" market got a bit of love from Onyx-Boox.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Yes, it's probably better to take his with a grain of salt until three actual device is released to know what the exact specs are. The non-audio support is a really funny formulation.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not a shame at all.
The Kobo fills the larger screen beach reader market just fine.
I am still using a KPW1, and want a water resistant replacement for the reader I carry with me.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #10
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
The non-audio support is a really funny formulation.
I think this is most likely about (i) making it waterproof & (ii) the ubiquity of Bluetooth headphones (or portable speakers for that matter) these days.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:28 PM   #11
LeoS
LeoS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Tab S2 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
I think this is most likely about (i) making it waterproof & (ii) the ubiquity of Bluetooth headphones (or portable speakers for that matter) these days.
Lots of smartphones (sony, samsung) have good loud speakers and still waterproof. It's probably more about budget...

Last edited by LeoS; 04-22-2016 at 05:14 AM.
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:42 AM   #12
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
Lots of smartphones (sony, samsung) have good loud speakers and still waterproof. It's probably more about budget...
A smartphone without a speaker (and microphone) is not a phone at all, so they more or less have to have one. eReaders on the other hand, where they have audio support, typically have a headphone jack, which I suspect would be less easy than a speaker to waterproof (you'd need to first design a fully enclosed socket, then put a gasket between it and the case, then create a circuit to stop water short-circuiting the connections). Bluetooth essentially acts as a wireless audio jack, so would appear to be a satisfactory, and inherently waterproof, solution.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:59 AM   #13
LeoS

Quote:
A smartphone without a speaker (and microphone) is not a phone at all, so they more or less have to have one. eReaders on the other hand, where they have audio support, typically have a headphone jack, which I suspect would be less easy than a speaker to waterproof (you'd need to first design a fully enclosed socket, then put a gasket between it and the case, then create a circuit to stop water short-circuiting the connections). Bluetooth essentially acts as a wireless audio jack, so would appear to be a satisfactory, and inherently waterproof, solution.
So... budget/cost then?

Last edited by LeoS; 04-22-2016 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:23 AM   #14
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
So budget/cost then?
No, a 'don't reinvent the wheel' thing. Don't attempt to create a novel wired waterproof audio connector (with the risk that it might contain some unforeseen design flaw), when a perfectly satisfactory wireless solution already exists (and has been exhaustively tested).

Anybody who wants to shell out for a Kepler Pro can probably afford to buy a pair of Bluetooth headphones. Anybody who doesn't want to, can buy the (almost certain to be cheaper) C67ML Carta 2 instead and get an audio jack.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:10 AM   #15
LeoS

Quote:
No, a 'don't reinvent the wheel' thing. Don't attempt to create a novel wired waterproof audio connector (with the risk that it might contain some unforeseen design flaw), when a perfectly satisfactory wireless solution already exists (and has been exhaustively tested).

Anybody who wants to shell out for a Kepler Pro can probably afford to buy a pair of Bluetooth headphones. Anybody who doesn't want to, can buy the (almost certain to be cheaper) C67ML Carta 2 instead and get an audio jack.
I'm not sure what's new about waterproof audio jacks, since there are loads of waterproof audio players, radios, and the abovementioned smartphones all have both waterproof speakers/mics AND waterproof jacks.

It's certainly additional cost to their design, where there's already a lot of single chip wifi-bluetooth solutions out there and all they need to do is activate audio bt profile in their product for a fraction of the cost.

From the consumer point of view, i don't think bt is a cost issue. It's more of a convenience and power issue, at least for me personally:

1. Bt eats up the ereader's battery (more than wired headset)
2. Bt headphone/speaker is either wired to a power outlet, or has limited battery lifetime