Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #496
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Just installed 3.1. How do I implement the following new feature?

Allowed the choice of any user-defined book set as the default import destination book set
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:47 PM   #497
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
MapleRead 3.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Just installed 3.1. How do I implement the following new feature?

Allowed the choice of any user-defined book set as the default import destination book set
I played around with this new feature yesterday. It feels quite natural once you get a hang of it.

Go to where you do a book set switch, i.e., tap Sets in the library view. Find the table row with the blue download icon, and tap the icon. Then tap the row you want as the new import destination book set. Tap Done.

By the way, have you tried the following new features of MapleRead 3.1?

- Enhanced the import command to also recursively import book files from folders
- Added tighter integration with Files app so that files and folders can be copied between the app's File Sharing location and other locations, including cloud drives and AirDrop via Files

By combining the 2 new features above, I can easily import hundreds of my books already organized by folders on some of my cloud drives, and have them added to (new) book sets in MapleRead. Super convenient!!!

Last edited by cedhax; 08-02-2019 at 03:05 PM.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2019, 05:05 PM   #498
chicleeblair
Connoisseur
chicleeblair began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
I got the impression that book sets are meant to sync between devices, but that isn’t happening. Did I misinterpret?
chicleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:49 AM   #499
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicleeblair View Post
I got the impression that book sets are meant to sync between devices, but that isn’t happening. Did I misinterpret?
If things haven't changed, you must manually press "sync" to sync across devices, even the reading point, and that is the only and unique reason I'm not using this app.

I think it is the only app that synchronizes across devices that does it manually, syncs all at the same time and it is incredibly slow doing it. I call it the "fever" of the own server with the excuse of reliability, but there is nothing more reliable that big companies clouds like Dropbox or GDrive.

Any other application use to automatically sync the reading position (that are only a couple of bytes) on book or app closing.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #500
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I have a very fuzzy memory that MapleRead developers were considering the option of iCloud for syncing as an alternative to their private server. Am I remembering correctly, and if so, is this still being considered? Thank you
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2019, 12:51 AM   #501
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
I played around with this new feature yesterday. It feels quite natural once you get a hang of it.

Go to where you do a book set switch, i.e., tap Sets in the library view. Find the table row with the blue download icon, and tap the icon. Then tap the row you want as the new import destination book set. Tap Done.

By the way, have you tried the following new features of MapleRead 3.1?

- Enhanced the import command to also recursively import book files from folders
- Added tighter integration with Files app so that files and folders can be copied between the app's File Sharing location and other locations, including cloud drives and AirDrop via Files

By combining the 2 new features above, I can easily import hundreds of my books already organized by folders on some of my cloud drives, and have them added to (new) book sets in MapleRead. Super convenient!!!
I was out of town and just got back. First, I need to see why I'm not being notified of posts to this forum, but I'll do that in a little bit.

I tried doing what you said with MapleRead SE on my iPad Mini 5 running iOS 12.4, but it didn't work when I tapped the icon. However, if I PRESSED the icon and waited for it to turn black, then pressed the set I wanted to be the default set, it did work.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:59 AM   #502
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Quote:
First, I need to see why I'm not being notified of posts to this forum, but I'll do that in a little bit.
Well, my subscription notification setting for "MapleRead - eBook Reader and Server for iOS" is set for instant, but I'm NOT getting any notifications.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #503
Kubaton
Kubaton began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 11"
I run COPS in a docker container and, as of the 3.1 update of MapleRead SE, I get "Error: Invalid OPDS catalog" when trying to open my custom server link. Updating to 3.1.1 yesterday didn't fix the problem. I contacted support and they said they were going to look at the code to see if they inadvertently broke something. I tested with Marvin and it works properly but I'm not buying it because it seems to have been abandoned.

I'm just curious if anyone else has a similar problem with MapleRead SE. Thanks.
Kubaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:03 AM   #504
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I have started to use sets and was wondering if there is any way to set up a set to auto-update based on tags set up in Calibre and imported into MR via OPDS.

One example would be a set based on all scifi and fantasy books I've read and one based on all scifi and fantasy unread. I know I can simply sort by tags, then "none" and then select scifi and fant tags for either read/unread, but I would like to make this faster by making sets for each of these and then just one tap would change the sets.

I know that I can manually make these sets by selecting all the tagged books I want then copying them into a set, but I would like an option where I can just make a set based on tags that would autoupdate.

Basically I want to use sets like virtual libraries in calibre desktop ;-)
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:38 AM   #505
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried doing what you said with MapleRead SE on my iPad Mini 5 running iOS 12.4, but it didn't work when I tapped the icon. However, if I PRESSED the icon and waited for it to turn black, then pressed the set I wanted to be the default set, it did work.
Great. Both gestures, "single tap" and "tap and hold" work.

For terminology, see also
https://www.techradar.com/how-to/mob...iphone-1311495
Old 08-29-2019, 03:42 AM   #506
cedhax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubaton View Post
I run COPS in a docker container and, as of the 3.1 update of MapleRead SE, I get "Error: Invalid OPDS catalog" when trying to open my custom server link. Updating to 3.1.1 yesterday didn't fix the problem. I contacted support and they said they were going to look at the code to see if they inadvertently broke something. I tested with Marvin and it works properly but I'm not buying it because it seems to have been abandoned.

I'm just curious if anyone else has a similar problem with MapleRead SE. Thanks.
Try appending "feed.php" to your custom server URL.

There is a demo link at http://cops-demo.slucas.fr/feed.php
Old 08-30-2019, 05:16 AM   #507
Kubaton
Kubaton began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 11"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
Try appending "feed.php" to your custom server URL.

There is a demo link at http://cops-demo.slucas.fr/feed.php
That was the problem, thanks! I totally missed that.

What's weird is it had been working prior to this without it.
Kubaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #508
Aurinko
Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
I'm looking for the best epub reader for my iPad. I've so far tried Books, Hyphen and MapleRead, and while MapleRead seems the most feature-rich out of these, there are some huge annoyances:

1. It's slow as f... Takes about two seconds usually just to display the next page/pages when I'm flipping through pages. I guess the delay is about the same for loading chapters in "modern" view. For the duration of loading pages there is the circle animation. The speed really is atrocious compared to pretty much anything else I've tried, and not even in the ballpark of acceptable.

2. In a lot of apps I find myself speed-flicking through pages, e.g. when I need to reference something that I know was three pages back. In MapleRead (in non-continuous page modes) I can't do this, because the app takes a long time after a page transition before it begins taking touch input again (at least the swipes). Again the latency is so ridiculously high I'm truly baffled how anyone can use this app. My Sony DPT-S1 with its pathetic SoC and Android 2.x can outperform the newest MapleRead CX on my 3rd gen iPad Pro. This is actually related to the first item in the list, but the issues might be separate from each other on implementation level so I separated them here.

3. Images are displayed with incorrect aspect ratio. I'm not sure if I should be complaining to the ebook publisher or the app developer first, but in Calibre's ebook viewer this problem didn't seem to manifest. When I'm viewing an .epub in the "modern" mode (continuous view without discrete page boundaries), the images are grotesquely stretched to fill the screen horizontally, but not scaled vertically to maintain correct aspect ratio. I didn't find a setting in MapleRead that would fix this.

All of these issues are totally unacceptable and definite dealbreakers for me. If I'm doing something wrong, or there are settings I have missed, or anyone has any tips & tricks on how to overcome these issues, please let me know.
Aurinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #509
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

@Aurinko, what iPad do you have? The page turn is less than a second on my iPad Mini 5. Also, I use "Classic Book" mode so that may be a factor. I just tried "Modern Book" and it is faster than "Classic Book". I have no problem with the images as a long touch/press enlarges the image to full screen.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #510
Aurinko
Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
@Aurinko, what iPad do you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurinko View Post
My Sony DPT-S1 with its pathetic SoC and Android 2.x can outperform the newest MapleRead CX on my 3rd gen iPad Pro.

Quote:
The page turn is less than a second on my iPad Mini 5.
Less than a second isn't that informative, because a second delay on page flips would be a clear indicator of bad code. I'm expecting the app to pre-emptively load or pre-render the content in a buffer to be immediately displayed when the user flips pages.

Quote:
I have no problem with the images as a long touch/press enlarges the image to full screen.
I know but that's not how I read books, full-screening every picture every time just to see it with proper proportions (which I'm not sure it did, but doesn't matter because it's not a solution), while not being able to read the text at the same time.
Aurinko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mapleread