Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
jjmccrae
jjmccrae began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Kindle to iPad (epub) - Has Worked Before

Hello,

I need some help and guidance. In October 2011 I rediscovered a series of book I read when younger, so download them on Kindle and use Calibre to convert them to work on my iPad. Anyway the first two books were successful. No layout problems, no converting problems, it was just prefect.

I have since restored my MacBook and it has been months, and now I can't remember how to do it.

I've got the .mobi file DRM-free, by running it through a script that was downloaded in 'Tools v4.7' -- (although I don't remember doing that the first time round'... but when its converted to ePub in Calibre there is a page of very Chapter, before the book actually starts. I think this is the table of content.

Any idea? There's 15 books in the series, and I've only got two working on the iPad and the next one I purchased this morning.

Am I doing it all wrong? Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.
jjmccrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmccrae View Post
Hello,

I need some help and guidance. In October 2011 I rediscovered a series of book I read when younger, so download them on Kindle and use Calibre to convert them to work on my iPad. Anyway the first two books were successful. No layout problems, no converting problems, it was just prefect.

I have since restored my MacBook and it has been months, and now I can't remember how to do it.

I've got the .mobi file DRM-free, by running it through a script that was downloaded in 'Tools v4.7' -- (although I don't remember doing that the first time round'... but when its converted to ePub in Calibre there is a page of very Chapter, before the book actually starts. I think this is the table of content.

Any idea? There's 15 books in the series, and I've only got two working on the iPad and the next one I purchased this morning.

Am I doing it all wrong? Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.
MR rules. We can not give instructions on this subject. Google Apprentice Alf
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I don't think the OP is asking for help removing DRM at all - he or she writes 'I've got the .mobi file DRM-free'

So far as I can tell she or he wants help in converting a DRM free mobi file to run on the iPad. The only help I can offer is that there have been changes in iBooks which have messed up the ADE ePub to iBooks ePub conversions I do from time to time. So it might be the changes in iBooks which are causing the problem.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
I'm assuming the OP already knows this, but you can use the kindle app to read them until you get the conversion sorted out....
Stampercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
pdxNat
pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Sorry, ignorant re: books on iPad, but do I understand correctly that iPad does not use the sort of epub file you get when you convert through Calibre? I mean, I know you can use Calibre to convert a DRM-free mobi file to epub, but are you saying that epub file won't read on an iPad?
pdxNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxNat View Post
Sorry, ignorant re: books on iPad, but do I understand correctly that iPad does not use the sort of epub file you get when you convert through Calibre? I mean, I know you can use Calibre to convert a DRM-free mobi file to epub, but are you saying that epub file won't read on an iPad?
No, not at all - I'm afraid I exaggerated to make a point. My iPad using iBooks can and does display the ePub ebooks I've designed and transferred to it. It just puts a blank page between each chapter now.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
pdxNat
pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
No, not at all - I'm afraid I exaggerated to make a point. My iPad using iBooks can and does display the ePub ebooks I've designed and transferred to it. It just puts a blank page between each chapter now.
Oh, and, huh.
pdxNat is offline   Reply With Quote