Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #136
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Likewise you could log the USB communication of the updater tool to find out how they get around the limitation (perhaps kovidgoyal is right and they just use a new USB command).
The flasher works differently. It takes the device out of the Connect protocol and does something that forces a Reader reboot into a firmware flasher mode.

I'll grab USB logs of the flasher so I can write a Mac/Linux flash tool when I upgrade my Wife's Sony this weekend.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #137
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
I've updated libprs500 to 0.3.9 so that it correctly handles permission denied errors. I'll look into figuring out how to unlock it as soon as I get a little free time.

EDIT: Hmm we may have to wait for the next updater as this updater didn't need to unlock.
We won't get this via USB traces. We'll need to pull apart the Sony Reader code. And even then, there may be no unlock... Sony really has no need for it so it may just be slammed shut.
Advert
Old 02-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #138
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
The flasher works differently. It takes the device out of the Connect protocol and does something that forces a Reader reboot into a firmware flasher mode.

I'll grab USB logs of the flasher so I can write a Mac/Linux flash tool when I upgrade my Wife's Sony this weekend.
No comment. Scotty, you rock.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #139
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm you may be right scotty, they may have completely disabled access to non data areas in which case reflashing may be the only alternative. But it seems to me that having at least read access via USB to the file system would be a convenience to the SONY devs, so they may have left it in.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #140
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
What is this "unlock" you're talking about? As for how the reflashing works, you can take a look at my ebook.py's "um" and "pwrite" commands.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #141
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
What is this "unlock" you're talking about? As for how the reflashing works, you can take a look at my ebook.py's "um" and "pwrite" commands.
I thought you exploited the Sony DLL's to do your flash tool?

The unlock I'm talking about is to turn off the disable for the root filesystem that they've added in Today's firmware update. But I'm betting they just hard coded it and there is no unlock. Why take chances on us reversing the unlock code?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:12 PM   #142
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, I'm using the Sony DLL to handle USB communications but I still need to prepare the packets.
As for the root fs limitation I'm going to have a look but I agree that most probably it's hard-coded. However, there are other ways to get into the device
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #143
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
However, there are other ways to get into the device
I know, your email is burning a hole in my email box. I'm figuring I'll have time to move on to the other means in a few days. Just need to get this virtualized R/W filesystem out the door.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #144
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
No comment. Scotty, you rock.
I just code, you all keep this wonderful web site running, you all rock!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:50 AM   #145
Christopher
Christopher began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
I'm getting the current error on trying to send to the device or the media card in it.

Code:
Unable to send Neon Genesis: Goddess to device
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/libprs500-0.3.9-py2.5.egg/libprs500/gui/main.py", line 355, in upload_books
end_session=False)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/libprs500-0.3.9-py2.5.egg/libprs500/communicate.py", line 168, in run_session
res = func(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/libprs500-0.3.9-py2.5.egg/libprs500/communicate.py", line 824, in add_book
bkl.add_book(info, name, size, ctime)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/libprs500-0.3.9-py2.5.egg/libprs500/books.py", line 193, in add_book
w, h, data = info["cover"]
TypeError: unpack non-sequence
EDIT: Is it also normal for the proram to rename every file prs500_x.x?

Last edited by Christopher; 03-19-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #146
Christopher

So far I am liking what I see with the program. I'm having some issues with the graphical which I don't think will be too long in figuring out but I posted the error in question anyways.

One thing I would like to know is if the makelrf could be enhanced to include zipped html and not just rar'd. It be nice to be able to do so. I have a website that has all of this tpe of stuff and I have it download content in PDF, HTML, and zipped HTML.

Anyone know of a good PHP plugin or filter to make databased content into LRF?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:39 AM   #147
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm travelling at the moment, so I'll look into that error when I get back which should be in about a week. Yes, it is normal for the program to rename files when they are uploaded to the reader.

I'm planning to do a complete rewrite of the makelrf code to support images and links in the LRF file as well as support for HTML books that have been split into multiple little files at some point (so much to do so little time ;-), when I do that adding support for zipped HTML files will be easy. I'd recommend you open a bug about it at the libprs500 site so I remember.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:36 AM   #148
Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
I'm travelling at the moment, so I'll look into that error when I get back which should be in about a week. Yes, it is normal for the program to rename files when they are uploaded to the reader.

I'm planning to do a complete rewrite of the makelrf code to support images and links in the LRF file as well as support for HTML books that have been split into multiple little files at some point (so much to do so little time ;-), when I do that adding support for zipped HTML files will be easy. I'd recommend you open a bug about it at the libprs500 site so I remember.

Will do. Why does the program rename the files?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:41 AM   #149
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The books are stored internally in a database, and the program doesn't keep track of the original file names. Instead it stores meta information about the files. Hence the need for automatically generated file names. Also since the program aims to be cross platform and each platform (read windows) has its file name related idiosyncracies, i thought it safer not to mess with file names that convey metadata at all.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:40 AM   #150
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The bug should be fixed in 0.3.10