Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #16
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Well sure. But "is it a tear-jerker" is a bit of a different question, IMO, than "Does Bob die at the end of 'The Chronicles of Bob?'" One seems slightly more specific to me than the other.
Before you start, sure, the specificity matters, but once you get into the book the relevance of even general comments like "tear-jerker" usually become apparent ... unless the author pulls a swifty like King near the end of The Stand
Spoiler:
And they never saw Stu Redman again.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:49 AM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I wouldn't want to know the answer re human characters, although I have a general preference for happy endings. However, with cats (and other animals) I get very upset if they die at the end of the book. I also feel cheated: I've been lead on a story journey with this cat, invested a lot of time being with him, only to have the author end the book on a sour note. If it was a paperback, I'd throw it at the wall.

I'm very fond of cats in particular.

In the past, I've read books based on real animals which have this fault. Okay, it happened, but I want to put the book down with a smile on my face.

Spoiler:
I seem to remember Ring of Bright Water (the book) doing this. Even though this was supposedly non fiction, I just hated that ending.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
cat book