Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
audiobooks that you bought but are no longer available

Over the years, I've bought a lot of audiobooks. Most of my audiobooks come from audible (over 600 since 2006), but I suspect that some books that are no longer in the audible store, are no longer in my audible library for download. Others I have the cd's, though most of those, I went ahead and replaced them with the downloaded audiobook (I got all the Harry Potter books on CD, then downloaded them from the Pottermore site when they became available), but some I'm not sure where I got them.

Primary is the Rob Ingles LOTR readings. I find it very surprising that these books aren't available on audible. I have the cd's of course, but the downloaded versions are all m4b files. That implies that I got them might have gotten them from iTunes (they are available on iTunes for download as are the Harry Potter books), but they aren't listed in my purchased books. Hum. I really thought that I bought them from audible, but they aren't listed in my books there either. They were available on audible at one time, which makes me suspect that is where I bought them.

Anyone notice audiobooks that you purchased missing from your audible library?

(note, this isn't really a problem, since I always download all my audiobooks. It's mostly a matter of curiousity)
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:13 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I had one book missing from Audible a couple of years ago (Across the Nightingale Floor), but I emailed CS and they restored my access to it. AFAIK I currently have nothing missing, but my library is at 971 titles so I might not miss something unless I go looking for the specific title.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2018, 03:28 AM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I download all audiobooks I buy, and store them myself, so I have easy access to them, so I wouldn't notice if any go missing.

I had considered stop doing this, since I could always just download them from the source, but this thread is a good splinter in that idea.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I download all audiobooks I buy, and store them myself, so I have easy access to them, so I wouldn't notice if any go missing.

I had considered stop doing this, since I could always just download them from the source, but this thread is a good splinter in that idea.
I learned my lesson way back in the early days of ebooks when peanut press (I think that was the company) went belly up. The Incomplete Enchanter was the first ebook that I bought. After they went belly up, it was quite a few years before I could find a new copy of the ebook. Now, I download everything, remove DRM and make backup copies of everything.

It stood me in good stead when Sony closed down their ebook store. While they transferred my library to Kobo, they didn't transfer the books they no longer carried. There were about a dozen out of 200+ ebooks that didn't get transferred. Fortunately, I had copies of them all.

On one of the photography podcasts, one of the photographers said that he keeps 3 copies of all his pictures - one on a local hard drive, one on an external raid hard drive and one off site on a cloud server. I do that with all my ebooks, audiobooks and movies as well as things like photos, code or video that I might want to keep.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Primary is the Rob Ingles LOTR readings. I find it very surprising that these books aren't available on audible.
I just did a search, and these books seems to be available both in my library and in the Audible store.

(I have not noticed any missing recordings, but I have always been able to find the books I want in my library; I probably wouldn't notice unless I couldn't access one.)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I just did a search, and these books seems to be available both in my library and in the Audible store.

(I have not noticed any missing recordings, but I have always been able to find the books I want in my library; I probably wouldn't notice unless I couldn't access one.)
Well that is odd. Maybe I typoed something.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
It happens very rarely. Even though the audiobook is no longer available for sale, it should remain in your library. If you think you have books missing, make a list. Then go through the PURCHASES section on your account and find the order # and date. Write it down, then contact Customer Service and they can reinstate it.

I still download and remove DRM on all my audiobook purchases just-in-case. Any major company can suddenly shut down a division. There are possibilities that there is a glitch in the copy available on Audible for something they can no longer sell. I also have to recognize the problems I will have when I no longer have a second income - I won't be able to afford WIFI and will have to go to the library to download any Audible content. Better for me now to download and be prepared for that.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
With me its the Matching eBook Missing....grrr Or the ebook & Audible are there but Don't match!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
Amazondoc
Enthusiast
Amazondoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX and Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post

I still download and remove DRM on all my audiobook purchases just-in-case.
What do you use for the DRM?

My favorite audiobook app -- Bookmobile -- will no longer deal well with Audible books. It constantly loses its place, occasionally plays a random mp3, and so on. It works fine with mp3 files, though. So I've been thinking about finding some way to convert my aax files.
Amazondoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazondoc View Post

My favorite audiobook app -- Bookmobile -- will no longer deal well with Audible books. It constantly loses its place, occasionally plays a random mp3, and so on. It works fine with mp3 files, though. So I've been thinking about finding some way to convert my aax files.
How are you downloading the current Audible audiobooks? Enhanced or Format 4? That may make a difference with using your Bookmobile. Otherwise, consider going back to the Audible app.

I can't give you info on removing DRM as it's against Mobileread rules.

Last edited by Tarana; 06-29-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazondoc View Post

I use a free program called inAudible. I'm theory it works on both .aa and .aax files, but I find it a better process with .aax files. Current version is 1.95 I think. The output is either .MP3 or .m4b, your choice.

Quote:
I can't give you info on removing DRM as it's against Mobileread rules.
No, actually we can now answer in a general way. Just can't give step by step directions. Essentially the same as with eBooks.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I use a free program called inAudible. I'm theory it works on both .aa and .aax files, but I find it a better process with .aax files. Current version is 1.95 I think. The output is either .MP3 or .m4b, your choice.
I've been using aaxtomp3--never heard of inAudible.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #13
Amazondoc
Enthusiast

Quote:
How are you downloading the current Audible audiobooks? Enhanced or Format 4? That may make a difference with using your Bookmobile.

That's a good thought. I usually download in enhanced, but I could try other formats.

Quote:
Otherwise, consider going back to the Audible app.
I'm mostly using iBooks right now. It's not as good as Bookmobile, but it's a step up from Audible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel
Great -- thanks! I'll Google it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady
I've been using aaxtomp3--never heard of inAudible.
Thanks! I'll check it out too!
Old 06-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #14
Amazondoc
Enthusiast

Quick update: I should have mentioned earlier that I'm on a Mac. I briefly checked out AAXtomp3, inAudible, and AudibleChapters, but it appears that those are mostly PC-focused. InAudible does have a Mac version called minAudible, but apparently it is no longer being updated. However, I've just downloaded an app called OpenAudible that has a specific Mac version, and I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll report back on how this works!
Old 06-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post

No, actually we can now answer in a general way. Just can't give step by step directions. Essentially the same as with eBooks.
I LOVE InAudible!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote