Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #16
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
So an active pen means higher precision, this is something that I have a problem with now, when I try to write on the edges the location and accuracy is messed up.

Also two button on the pen instead of one, which mean no need to switch between erase and highlight from the menu, cool!

I like how they made the pen clips now on both sides of the reader, nice touch. and the bezel seems lower to my eye.

And! translated from the website, you can have the document and notes side by side!!!

Quote:
Work side by side with documents

Utilizing a wide screen, you can work efficiently on two screens

Various 2 screen display function is installed. Reading and writing work such as comparing documents, referring to different pages, writing to notes while reading documents, viewing facing documents, and so on will be advanced.

http://www.sony.jp/products/picture/y_DPT-RP1_007.jpg

Cool, we can bookmark pages by drawing a star

Quote:
If "Mark" is handwritten, you can search the page you want to read and open it immediately

When reading a document and thinking "this is important" "I want to read here later", I quickly handwritten the mark of ☆ or *. Even documents with a large number of pages, you can quickly open marked areas. When combined with the document file search function with keywords such as file name, you can search and view documents you want to read without stress.

http://www.sony.jp/products/picture/y_DPT-RP1_009.jpg
The questions that remain to be answered:

1. How much of a difference 150 vs 205 PPI?
2. Does it come in black?
3. Did they fix the zoom in the software? currently, if I zoom I miss some features + black ugly needless bar at the bottom.
4. Did they introduce crop? or even a better way to zoom and save it as a preset.
5. Does it make a coffee and take the children to the school? (not that I have any)

I can't wait for a video review
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #17
aydio
aydio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
this thing is bought the second it's released - for sure
aydio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #18
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
What is the point of Wi-Fi if there is no cloud app to it?
1. for wireless transfer of documents to and from a compatible (WebDAV compatible) cloud storage service, then share it with your colleagues

2. to sync the files locally

3. perhaps you value to have full access to your device which is based on Android over your warranty so perform the act of breaking out of a jail
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #19
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
and only 349g, I love it!
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscam View Post
btw, is there a backlight built in?
No, it's an eInk device (or some similar technology, anyway). Such screens are opaque and hence can't be backlit (and a 13.3" screen is far too big for a frontlight).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #21
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
N(and a 13.3" screen is far too big for a frontlight).
I don't know about that. The Kobo Aura fires it's light across about 7 1/2" of screen (not including bezel) and the new Sony is only 8.8" wide (including bezel). Not a stretch to go that much farther. Of course, you might take a fair hit on your battery life with the number of lights to required to cover the height of the device.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm rather go with the Onyx Boox Max Carta as it support more than PDF.
Jon, are you awake yet?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I don't know about that. The Kobo Aura fires it's light across about 7 1/2" of screen (not including bezel) and the new Sony is only 8.8" wide (including bezel). Not a stretch to go that much farther. Of course, you might take a fair hit on your battery life with the number of lights to required to cover the height of the device.
It's getting even illumination that's the issue for large screens. I don't think there are any devices with screens larger than 8" that are illuminated, are there?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #24
bthb
bthb is a jewel in the roughbthb is a jewel in the roughbthb is a jewel in the roughbthb is a jewel in the roughbthb is a jewel in the roughbthb is a jewel in the roughbthb is a jewel in the roughbthb is a jewel in the roughbthb is a jewel in the roughbthb is a jewel in the roughbthb is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
You would make your life much easier if you'd fill in warning into "upload window". Have a look at the screenshot. Max Width & Max Height are empty.
Actually i used 'Insert Image' but not the 'Attachments' in the editing toolbar. I found putting images as attachments would show them at the bottom of the post while as using 'Insert Image' would show them between words.

Even though the image seemed a bit too big and weird (i didn't find how to adjust the size of it, it only requires a link), i chose to put them with words cause it seemed normal to me.

I think this restriction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels)
is for 'Insert Image' feature as huge image would ruin the reading experience.

I should read the Guidelines first.
bthb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #25
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
It's getting even illumination that's the issue for large screens. I don't think there are any devices with screens larger than 8" that are illuminated, are there?
I would say that the problem is not only size, but also geometry. The largest devices are being built with flexible screens, and I would have to believe that bending the screen would really distort the evenness of the lighting. It would make it very distracting to read when held in the hands.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #26
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Not that I know of. But that's my point -- it's not really that big of stretch to go from Kobo Aura 1 pushing the light evenly 7 1/2" up from the bottom*, to pushing it evenly ACROSS the less than 8.8" of the Sony device. Obviously it will require more LED's, but I don't see that really being anything other than a battery issue.

* - any significant blotchiness on the KA1 seems to be with the red lighting, not the basic "normal" lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I would say that the problem is not only size, but also geometry. The largest devices are being built with flexible screens, and I would have to believe that bending the screen would really distort the evenness of the lighting. It would make it very distracting to read when held in the hands.
That's plausible, but the frames of current small devices aren't completely rigid, so there is obviously some tolerance for flex. And I can't image the new devices flexing that much more (albeit the deflection across the larger device would be more) under normal use.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #27
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Some mouth watering video for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLOo...ature=youtu.be

SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #28
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
It says battery will last for three weeks at the longest. The whole video was clearly focused on the corporate market, but let's hope it will be available at consumer oriented stores as well.

Digital artist found dead in home. Details sketchy.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #29
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
Some mouth watering video for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLOo...ature=youtu.be

does it look like the screen is flushed with the bezel?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #30
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
I am really curious about their processing units setup - quad core processor plus extra processing units - it seems like hand-crafted for e-ink and Sony's dedicated solution. I expect much lower latency, I wonder how low. In video page refresh looks great, but writing is still a little laggish IMHO..

Remarkable is teasing everyone with their latency being 50-60 ms - which would be on par with tablets and phones. Wonder if Sony can procide similar performance without legendary imx.7..

Btw Of all possible special symbols the decided to use "David Star" symbol as special symbol - I sense trouble from Jewish communities...
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote