Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #1
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
NoteSlate is back! (Or is it?)

Nate at Ink, Bits and Pixels wrote earlier this week about the return of the NoteSlate:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...will-cost-199/

The updated website is here:

http://noteslate.com/

The question is: should we believe them this time? These Czech guys already pranked us in 2011... If anyone pre-ordered, let us know your experience! Once they take your money, it gets a bit more serious...
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:37 AM   #2
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Even if this shows up working, and even though it looks great and all, why would anyone except for a niche audience buy that? I mean, if it had PDF support (along with standard annotation tools) baked in, I'd be all over it, but for drawing? I think pencil and paper seem to work just fine (and provide that authentic experience), and it’s really easy to take pictures of your drawings, too...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hmm... a screen with a glass backplane on which you are pressing with a pressure-sensitive stylus. No, there's nothing that could go horribly wrong by pressing on a thin glass layer with a pointed object.

Not for me, even if I wanted an electronic slate.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Why not just get a Boogie board. It is a lot cheaper and will sync the images to a PC using a PDF file.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Even if this shows up working, and even though it looks great and all, why would anyone except for a niche audience buy that? I mean, if it had PDF support (along with standard annotation tools) baked in, I'd be all over it, but for drawing? I think pencil and paper seem to work just fine (and provide that authentic experience), and it’s really easy to take pictures of your drawings, too...
This is not so much for drawing but for handwriting. As such, I think the potential market is quite large - students and office workers who currently take notes on paper (not everyone likes typing). I think the price is roughly o.k. (could be lower of course), so the keys to success are functionality and marketing.

PDF annotation is technically possible and desirable of course, but don't forget that most pdfs are A4 (or letter in the US) size, which does not show well on a 6.8-inch screen even with the margins removed. You would need at least 10 in. (which is close to A5 actually - half of an A4).

But I do agree that in order to be really attractive, the Shiro would need to support pdf as well as the major ebook formats (epub and mobi). This is still an open question.

By the way, I think I figured out who makes the Shiro:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...notepad-video/
Advert
Old 05-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hmm... a screen with a glass backplane on which you are pressing with a pressure-sensitive stylus. No, there's nothing that could go horribly wrong by pressing on a thin glass layer with a pointed object.

Not for me, even if I wanted an electronic slate.
No worries there, the technology is proven. A bunch of manufacturers have made such e-readers since 2006, and breakage was never a problem. That said, a flexible glass-less Mobius display would be much nicer, of course.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:48 AM   #7
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Why not just get a Boogie board. It is a lot cheaper and will sync the images to a PC using a PDF file.

Dale
The main problem with the Boogie Board, IMHO, is that it cannot display pages you have previously saved. This makes it less useful in meetings where you often need to look up notes from a previous meeting.
The other point is that the Shiro has the potential to also be an e-reader. I say "potential", because we don't know what the software will be like.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
The main problem with the Boogie Board, IMHO, is that it cannot display pages you have previously saved. This makes it less useful in meetings where you often need to look up notes from a previous meeting.
The other point is that the Shiro has the potential to also be an e-reader. I say "potential", because we don't know what the software will be like.
Noteslate OS is Linux-based, I was told.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:45 AM   #9
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Noteslate OS is Linux-based, I was told.
Yes, but the website does not mention support for ebook formats. If this is a device just for handwriting, I wish them good luck... Although, since most people have no idea what's on the market, it could still sell if it is marketed very well.
The best would be open Android, then proprietary with ebook support, or open Linux.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Yes, but the website does not mention support for ebook formats. If this is a device just for handwriting, I wish them good luck... Although, since most people have no idea what's on the market, it could still sell if it is marketed very well.
The best would be open Android, then proprietary with ebook support, or open Linux.
The custom OS implies there won't be much in the way of ebook support (or at least that is what i thought).

Last edited by Nate the great; 05-02-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:09 AM   #11
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The custom OS implies there won't be much in the way of ebook support (or at least that is what i thought).
I don't think that is necessarily true. AFAIK most e-ink readers use a Linux-based custom OS.
However, ebook support does seem to be missing - is not mentioned on the site, and it's already in pre-order stage... If so, these guys face an uphill battle.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:35 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
In fairness, there are numerous devices around which have glass screens and Wacom styluses and I don't recall it causing any problems. Provided the outer screen is sufficiently rigid (and there's no reason to suppose it wouldn't be), the pressure wouldn't be transmitted to the substrate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:31 AM   #13
Kunvp
Enthusiast
Kunvp began at the beginning.

Device: Promedia e-reader (Onyx C67ML) - Aldi2016 / Former: Sony PRS-T1&T2
Did any of you pre-order?
Is anybody planning to order?
koen
Kunvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #14
Jmirko
Recovered collector

They sent out an email "newsletter" today (see link). I think the teased larger devices will cause some excitement.

http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...c&e=c180e9f310
Old 10-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Based on your link I built a wiki page for the product. Check Noteslate. This should make it easier to keep track and update feature descriptions.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote