Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
watcha
Not so junior!
watcha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
kindle - why no fire at mobileread?

Grief, there's been so much interest everywhere else, but Amazon's Kindle seems to have kindled no fires at Mobileread. As a fairly lo-tech kind of guy, I'm wondering whether my Iliad has been overtaken, what with the Kindle's ability to download so easily books on to the device.

I mean, look at: http://www.economist.com/business/di...ry_id=10164693

I really like my Iliad, except for the fact that UK authors' works are so hard to find as e-books. Will Amazon persuade me to forsake Irex? There's certainly no discussion I can find to help me here on Mobileread. Disappointring.
watcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Not sure exactly what you're looking for, there are Kindle threads everywhere discussing pretty much every aspect of it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
If you move to the states, you would have a choice, but since you are in the UK, you will probably have to wait at least a year, probably more until the knidle shows up there.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Meaning no offense, watcha, but where have you been?

Yesterday we had over 1,000 posts -- a new record for a single day, and almost all of them were on the Kindle! Plus the first four frontpage articles are Kindle items.

Fire? This is closer to a melt down!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcha View Post
Grief, there's been so much interest everywhere else, but Amazon's Kindle seems to have kindled no fires at Mobileread. As a fairly lo-tech kind of guy, I'm wondering whether my Iliad has been overtaken, what with the Kindle's ability to download so easily books on to the device.

I really like my Iliad, except for the fact that UK authors' works are so hard to find as e-books. Will Amazon persuade me to forsake Irex? There's certainly no discussion I can find to help me here on Mobileread. Disappointring.
We do not yet have a member review of the Kindle. Give us some time.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcha View Post

I really like my Iliad, except for the fact that UK authors' works are so hard to find as e-books. Will Amazon persuade me to forsake Irex? There's certainly no discussion I can find to help me here on Mobileread. Disappointing.
The Kindle was released on Monday. Some forum members have ordered the Kindle. You need to give them time to get it and time to play with it. Then we will get hands on reports on how the Kindle really is. Then once we get positive reviews/experiences, then I think you'll find more fire about the Kindle. This is a new device with new experiences since Amazon is doing things differently. Just give it time while others get their Kindles and have a chance to use it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Meaning no offense, watcha, but where have you been?

Yesterday we had over 1,000 posts -- a new record for a single day, and almost all of them were on the Kindle! Plus the first four frontpage articles are Kindle items.

Fire? This is closer to a melt down!
We had tons of guest readers, too. At one point I noticed the front forum page listed about 500 of them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
watcha
Not so junior!
watcha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
Sorry - it's my lo-tech brain! I looked only in forums, not 'front page'.
watcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:59 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
No biggie, watcha. Thanks for the Economist link, btw. It seems they are quite bullish on the Kindle. Which is nice, given how much weight the Economist has in the financial community. Perhaps it will mean more money for startups who want to bring out their reading devices
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
strangeseraph
Connoisseur
strangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I look forward to the distant future when hardware like the Kindle will actually be offered to Canadians. :P I almost really considered buying the Kindle...until I found out it would be nearly impossible for me to do.

I might get the iLiad. There goes my savings. But oooooh is it pretty. *_* Heck, I may end up collecting eBook readers and decide which one I like using the most. Mwahaha.
strangeseraph is offline   Reply With Quote