Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-25-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
sespr
Enthusiast
sespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle Paper White
Nook Glowlight 3 Problems

Just picked up the new device today. It is sometimes detected and sometimes not. Initially when it was still intermittent and while using Calibre 3.26 I loaded some books successfully. On connecting again it didn't detect it. I updated the Calibre software to the latest and it appeared to detect but showed none of the existing books in the list on the Nook.

I attempted to send a new book to the device and this is the error I got.

calibre, version 3.34.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 22] invalid mode ('wbN') or filename: u'E:\\metadata.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 540, in _sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 448, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 445, in write_prefix
File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 117, in local_open
IOError: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('wbN') or filename: u'E:\\metadata.calibre'

I then attempted to run a debug and got the following.

calibre, version 3.34.0
ERROR: Device already detected: A device (The Nook) is already detected by calibre. If you wish to debug the detection of another device, first disconnect this device.
sespr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:52 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
reset the nook or reformat the drive and you should be fine.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
sespr
Enthusiast
sespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankindsespr has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
reset the nook or reformat the drive and you should be fine.

I performed a soft reset of the nook which didn't fix the problem. How do you reformat the nook drive?

I did perform an erase and deregister twice. The first time helped temporarily. So far checking it a couple of times after the second erase it appears to be working but it doesn't give me much confidence that it will continue to do so.

This is my wife's ereader. She had a simple nook before and wanted to stick with it. I wanted her to switch to a Kindle PW. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Jim
Old 11-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you can format drives in windows. right click on them in windows eplorer.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
sespr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
you can format drives in windows. right click on them in windows eplorer.
After doing that will the proper files for the nook automatically restore themselves or is there something else that has to be done?
Old 11-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

the books you get from B&N are on a separate partition anyway. Any sideloaded books will have to be re-loaded.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
sespr
Enthusiast

Thanks again, that will be my next step if the problem happens again.

Jim