Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-07-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
eshaw
eshaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle(s)
Online dictionary/sending words

I would like to have an option to save words that I didn't know from different languages to later maybe create flashcards of those.

I thought that the best way to do it would be to have a custom dictionary that would open an URL effectively letting me send that word and save it on a backend. Is that possible on a jailbroken Kindle?

The first thing that came to my mind was to have some sort of custom dictionary but not a local one. Another idea would be to "clone" or replace the Wikipedia with a custom URL that would let me save that word and redirect to the actual Wikipedia article.
eshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Kindle model?
Kindle firmware?

Yes, there is (or was, depending) an active thingy for something like that.
Perhaps it will come back to me what that thingy is (or was).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
eshaw

Newest is Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen) (I still have Keyboard but would want to switch fully to the newest one).
Firmware: 5.11.1
Old 06-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshaw View Post
Newest is Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen) (I still have Keyboard but would want to switch fully to the newest one).
Firmware: 5.11.1
Probably no longer supported.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshaw View Post
I would like to have an option to save words that I didn't know from different languages to later maybe create flashcards of those.
Current Kindle models (6. generation PW AKA PW2 or better) come with a built-in Vocabulary Builder app. The flash cards are saved in a SQLite file on the Kindle and can be exported. However, the definitions aren't stored in the sqlite file and the Vocabulary Builder app will only work with AZW3 and KFX files.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
eshaw

Cool. Converted books from MOBI to AZW3 and it seems to work - thanks!
Do you know if this database is synced somehow with Amazon and other Kindles?

Tags
dictionary, online, wikipedia