Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-04-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Battery replacement for Nova generation 1

Does anyone know what sort of battery it takes and where to get one? Has anyone attempted it?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:17 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
In worst case, the answer is simply, "One that fits".
You would need to save the connector/wires/PCB from the old cell and put it on the new one.

In worst worst case you can wire up a power supply.
I did that to my old Nexus 7 (2013).
Now it's part of my dashboard.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2021, 08:52 AM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
I would assume the original Nova takes the same battery as the Nova Pro since the Note and the Note Pro seem to take the same battery. You can usually find such batteries for sale on Aliexpress. That's where I got the battery to replace the one in my Note Pro.

Here is one listing for the Nova Pro battery on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...9765040f08ed-4

You also may want to check out the following thread. Even though it is in relation to the Note Pro, it should give you an idea of how to open up the Nova and what to expect: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=339908
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks both of you for the information. I'll look into it.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:33 AM   #5
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
It's easy to open it? I tried a little with mine and i'm not sure if it uses the same method as the video with the note because it's very hard and i don't want to spoil it.
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2021, 07:21 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Opening cases can be tough. Having them tight (sometimes waterproof) takes precedence over being able to be opened.

Sometimes (like the Poke3 at the USB connector) there is a weak spot to start.
I've sometimes found it easier to start/test/double-check that it's the right seam with a thumbnail before proceeding to guitar picks.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:28 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard

I'm a noob when it comes to batteries, so perhaps you could advise me about which battery to order. I see several on aliexpress, with some variation.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...Boox+Nova+Pro+

Two are listed as 3.7V 3000mAh, one as 3.8V 3000mAh, and two others as 3.8V 5000mAh.

As I understand it, mAh rating means it will provide a charge for longer. I presume that means the battery will be thicker or larger. Will the larger mAh rating fit inside?

Also, some are cheaper than others. Is it wiser to get one that costs a bit more in order to get quality, rather than just go for the cheapest deal? Obviously I don't want a battery that swells or explodes.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:49 PM   #8
Renate
Wizard

I'd take some of those capacity numbers with a grain of salt.
You can quote higher capacities if you quote a higher voltage upper limit.
In ye old days, it was 4.1, then 4.2, then 4.3, then 4.35.
The $20 one quotes 4.35, the $16.50 one doesn't say.
Still, I think I'd pop for the $20 one, it supposedly has a 2 year guarantee.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:14 AM   #9
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post

Two are listed as 3.7V 3000mAh, one as 3.8V 3000mAh, and two others as 3.8V 5000mAh.
IMHO, assuming the all have the same physical dimensions, I'd get the one with the smallest capacity. Remember what happened to Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with their extra-dense batteries?
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:22 AM   #10
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
IMHO, assuming the all have the same physical dimensions, I'd get the one with the smallest capacity. Remember what happened to Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with their extra-dense batteries?
That's a scenario I want to avoid. So the dimensions will be the same, but the battery will be denser? Hmm Sounds...potentially problematic. I think I'd rather go with the lower capacity. After all, a new battery will probably last longer than the oldish device.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard

I didn't see the guarantee. Thanks for looking Renate.

It appears the original battery was 2800 mAh.

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...owlight-stylus
https://productz.com/en/onyx-boox-no...bwg#full-specs

So I think I'll go for the lower capacity battery. It will suffice, is lower tech, and hopefully less likely to explode.

Oddly enough, I think I'm going to go with the cheapest, weakest unmarked battery. The seller has been around for the longest and has the highest rating. It's a crapshoot anyway.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 09-13-2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard

The battery came. I see I have to unsolder and solder the new battery. I've never soldered but I figured I'd have to some time. I just want to get a budget solder for now.

Does this have everything I need to do the job?

https://www.amazon.ca/Soldering-Elec..._1634691189965
Old 10-19-2021, 09:55 PM   #13
Renate
Wizard

You're just soldering wires, yes? Not the tabs on the battery?
Yeah, it should do the job.

Try soldering some wires first from junk you have around the house.
Get a feel for the temperature.
Don't leave the iron on full temperature when you're not doing anything.
Soak the sponge well, then squeeze damp.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:22 AM   #14
Pajamaman
Wizard

Thanks. Will do. I'll get some flux too.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:30 PM   #15
Pajamaman
Wizard

I replaced the battery and the problem seems to be fixed. Learning to solder was fun. It is not necessary to solder, as such. I merely heated the existing solder and removed the old battery. Then I reheated the old solder on the board and connected the new battery.

On reflection, I think I would have got the higher capacity battery, but maybe not. Anyway, all seems well. A perfectly excellent device saved. I don't see any point in upgrading yet, so this is fine for now. It's often fun to learn something new.

Thanks to everyone for the info.