Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #16
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Maybe a mouse will get me past issues I have when my PW3 touchscreen is not working. I need to try this after I recharge my PW3. I wonder how hard it would be to make it act like a mouse rather than just page tuen buttons...

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-01-2016 at 09:41 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:11 AM   #17
lucida
Enthusiast
lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Maybe a mouse will get me past issues I have when my PW3 touchscreen is not working. I need to try this after I recharge my PW3. I wonder how hard it would be to make it act like a mouse rather than just page tuen buttons...
It's possible and shouldn't be difficult, just config it like other Linux distro. Maybe add section below to /etc/xorg.conf

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier     "Mouse"
	Driver	         "mouse"
	Option        "SendCoreEvents" "true"
	Option        "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
	Option        "Device"       "/dev/input/mice"
	Option        "Protocol"     "ImPS/2"
	Option        "Emulate3Buttons"  "true"
	Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection
However if anything goes wrong X may fail to start so I never tried that myself as I don't have serial on my kindle.
lucida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2016, 01:37 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You will, at a minimum, have to re-start X, since otherwise it is self-configuring and can't self-configure for what is not connected (kernel modules, otg cable, mouse).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #19
lucida
Enthusiast
lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You will, at a minimum, have to re-start X, since otherwise it is self-configuring and can't self-configure for what is not connected (kernel modules, otg cable, mouse).
Thanks, you're right, can't edit /etc/xorg.conf directly. xorg.conf was created from /etc/upstart/makexconfig which is just lots of "echo >>" inside so its actually pre-defined.

There is no mouse driver in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/, does have an evdev driver and kernel has evdev support though.

To restart X, just run "restart x" from ssh or kterm, however even with mouse plugged in it was not detected/added to xorg.conf.

Last edited by lucida; 08-02-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That actually makes it sound like it would be easier to get full mouse support.
Just have to dig a little deeper into the system than change a configuration file is all.
Advert
Old 08-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #21
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
This is great, I'm super excited by this.

I don't know what kind of HID device this is for sure, but something like this would be great ( Presentation remote )

http://targus.com/ca/targus-presentation-remote

https://ubuntuincident.wordpress.com...orks-on-linux/

http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/remote-presenter.html
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #22
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

also, zxczxc found that just changing the pages wasn't necessarily enough to keep the screen awake in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220810

But I'm actually looking at the strings in your 'mouseturn' program, and see you already had that covered "lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd -i touchScreenSaverTimeout 1".

I cant be bothered to discard this comment, if other people work on things like this.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #23
lucida
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
This is great, I'm super excited by this.

I don't know what kind of HID device this is for sure, but something like this would be great ( Presentation remote )

http://targus.com/ca/targus-presentation-remote

https://ubuntuincident.wordpress.com...orks-on-linux/

http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/remote-presenter.html

I don't have any of these but looks like these remotes are HID keyboard devices -- and additional HID mice if they have cursor control. To get buttons work, load hid modules, get key code with "evtest" utility and respond accordingly.
The code should be very much like the one in "wifiremote" android side and it's fairly straightforward.

Current "mouseturn" relies on mousedev and /dev/input/mice interface so it requires little extra work for end users, however, it wouldn't work with evdev.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:44 AM   #24
gnormal
gnormal began at the beginning.

Device: PW2-6g-Japan
@lucida, would this code be good to start from in order to turn pages automatically at regular intervals (without monitoring any mouse/usb data)?

i want to turn the kindle into picture-frame like display, that rotates through pages (preferable pages of a pdf).

then i want to change the page selection to be random, and finally change the duration between changes to be random (from a few minutes to a few days).

and it sounds like i still need a solution to keep the kindle from sleeping, right?

Last edited by gnormal; 08-08-2016 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spoonerized ludica :o
gnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:25 AM   #25
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucida View Post
I don't have any of these but looks like these remotes are HID keyboard devices -- and additional HID mice if they have cursor control. To get buttons work, load hid modules, get key code with "evtest" utility and respond accordingly.
The code should be very much like the one in "wifiremote" android side and it's fairly straightforward.

Current "mouseturn" relies on mousedev and /dev/input/mice interface so it requires little extra work for end users, however, it wouldn't work with evdev.
so you are saying if I wanted to use something like the item below, it wouldn't be too much work, and to look at wifiremote to get the idea? sounds good!
because I have decided on this item.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GHEP1TM
(this, like many other presentation devices use page up/page down for navigation, simply a keyboard)
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #26
lucida
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
so you are saying if I wanted to use something like the item below, it wouldn't be too much work, and to look at wifiremote to get the idea? sounds good!
because I have decided on this item.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GHEP1TM
(this, like many other presentation devices use page up/page down for navigation, simply a keyboard)
Try this. the first /dev/input/eventX is the OTG device(not kindle), then a list of button keycode and coordinates of point.

Code:
	kindle-evdev /dev/input/eventX btn1:x1,y1 btn2:x2,y2....
You can start by running
Code:
     kindle-evdev /dev/input/eventX  1:1,1
from ssh/kterml, check the output to get keycode.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle-evdev.zip (6.6 KB, 359 views)
Old 08-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #27
coplate
Guru

lucida, thanks.

I'm looking at the source of this, and I noticed something all of us should keep in mind, that I noticed with my version:

If we use simple clicks, we could click links on the table of contents and the like.

I don't know if other people are using the bottom pixel or something else.

So I feel like we need to really do a 'swipe' effect if its possible with the x11.

Also:

To compile this, did you need to get any particular x11 libraries, or can you otherwise talk about your build environment?
Old 08-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #28
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucida View Post
Try this. ..
I have tested out both your mouseturn and the kindle-edev you provide with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-.../dp/B006WAJ1IE

And both the mouse and keyboard parts work.

The keyboard device only seems to show up if I also insmod mousedev.ko, and I'm not sure if thats expected right now.

Its nice that I can use this for both mouse and keyboard in event2 and event3 if we wanted to.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
I have tested out both your mouseturn and the kindle-edev you provide with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Backlight-mini-V3/dp/B006WAJ1IE

And both the mouse and keyboard parts work.

The keyboard device only seems to show up if I also insmod mousedev.ko, and I'm not sure if thats expected right now.

Its nice that I can use this for both mouse and keyboard in event2 and event3 if we wanted to.
I used the 'report incorrect product information' button on that page to let them know they forgot to include the 7th gen Kindle Paperwhite in the list of supporting products.

Too bad it isn't an Amazon product, that would probably have really jacked their jaws.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #30
coplate
Guru

@lucida

How is your system set up to link against libXtst.

I have been trying to compile using hte cross-compiler I have, and have not been having luck.

do you have the armel setup instead, or can you give any makefiles or anything that you can share?

Tags
otg, usb