Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #5626
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
It is August 15, and I've managed not to buy any books or audiobooks so far this month....can I make it to the end...?
If you haven't bought a book since July, I have good news and bad news for you...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:21 AM   #5627
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
It is August 15, and I've managed not to buy any books or audiobooks so far this month....can I make it to the end...?
I'm sure you can! Keep on not buying!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #5628
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
If you haven't bought a book since July, I have good news and bad news for you...
Can't even get the month right!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #5629
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
I didn't realize how heavy paperbacks were until I had to schlep over 50 boxes of them (my late sister's collection). My Mom really likes the ereader, so we've eliminated all the novels except for the 3-4 left that need to get converted to ebook (orphaned titles, so not likely to appear commercially). Cookbooks and craft books still take up too many shelves.

August? And yes, book weight rises exponentially based on how many boxes of them you have.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #5630
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I bought four in August. But I read eleven. And I discarded nine freebies. A very good month. My TBR is down to 807!
Mid-month report. As usual, monthly deals meant a few purchases from the backlog. Unusually, some have been coming up on daily deals too.

So seven bought, 10 read and 7 more freebies discarded. My TBR is now at 797! Which is the lowest since 2016, but I suspect that the totals recorded in 2016 and before are considerable undercounts. In which case, working back from 2017 and considering documented changes in my number of unread books, 797 is the lowest since at least 2010!

I think it was giving up my SF magazine subscriptions that's really made the difference. But perhaps it was appreciating that special offers on books that merely look interesting should not be taken up.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:00 AM   #5631
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
And yes, book weight rises exponentially based on how many boxes of them you have.
Linearly
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #5632
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Linearly
I think it might be linearly prior to carrying them all but pretty sure afterward it is exponentially.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:35 PM   #5633
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I think it might be linearly prior to carrying them all but pretty sure afterward it is exponentially.
I find after the first 5 boxes, the weight goes up at least exponentially.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #5634
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I've done very well for two months now, buying only 7 ebooks total, all in series I already read. Zero audiobooks, but it's frustrating. I cancelled Audible until November and it kills me not knowing what's in the latest sale. I have to get past this by November or I'll be in the continuing boat of buying more than I will listen to.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #5635
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I've done very well for two months now, buying only 7 ebooks total, all in series I already read. Zero audiobooks, but it's frustrating. I cancelled Audible until November and it kills me not knowing what's in the latest sale. I have to get past this by November or I'll be in the continuing boat of buying more than I will listen to.
If you have a large backlog to listen to, I'd suggest cancelling Audible altogether for a year or two (if possible). There will be more offers later on...
Old 10-01-2021, 05:33 PM   #5636
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For September, my purchases were 44 books. Add in another 4 freebies and 9 library books.

There was one freebie that manage the rare, for me, did not finish status. If it was a movie, it would have received negative rating for consistency. I have moved the friend who recommended it off my recommenders list.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:31 AM   #5637
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Seven bought in September, all special offers from my wish list. One freebie added. And twenty read. Also seven discarded (freebies in a series I abandoned).

A good month. TBR down from 807 to 788!

Because of Amazon's Monthly book deals, my purchases tend to be towards to beginning of the month. Three bought so far this October!
Old 10-02-2021, 11:39 PM   #5638
CAFlanny
Connoisseur
CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kobo Libra H20, Meebook P78 Pro, Kindles
I bought 4 books and acquired 1 freebie in September. (Five bought if we're counting the one I got free from Kindle Summer Rewards credit.) I read 8 books, five from TBR.

TBR is currently at 249.

I've already bought 1 book in October.
CAFlanny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #5639
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAFlanny View Post
I bought 4 books and acquired 1 freebie in September. (Five bought if we're counting the one I got free from Kindle Summer Rewards credit.) I read 8 books, five from TBR.

TBR is currently at 249.

I've already bought 1 book in October.
At 8 books a month, 249 books would last you about two and a half years. Yes, perhaps that's a little high. I reckon a TBR that would last six months to a year is probably about right -- big enough to allow one to wait for special offers.

(My TBR would last me around 5 years. I have a way to go to get it down to a reasonable size.)
Old 10-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #5640
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Bought 3 books in September. Read only 2.

TBR somewhere around 75 but this is a very rough estimate.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote