Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 03-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #1
robintes
Banned
robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Android tablet, Kobo Forma
Which tablet ereader

Im still in tablet mode but will drift into a eink reader (probably KOBO - is there any other choice)
Ive used Kindle and it provides an acceptable experience AT A PRICE - loss of $$$ and freedom
So I dont want to be imprisoned by the "ecomould" anymore
Kobo does similar control freak stuff but at least your can dl your own Epubs and sideload into Kobo.

Anyway you guys know all this shouty stuff already

So I had a Sony PRS350 some 10 years ago (it was the dogs plums back then) and amazingly sold it on EB still working fine but dated - night reading not good

So I want to use my Lenovo tablet to try out what the market offers today. Im a huge fan of Calibre - tremendous contribution to support book reading but a PC screen is not for a long read as we know

The Tablet is ok with Kindle but battery life will let you down, whereas an Eink reader may last a month and is very portable and easy read in daylight.

So I looked for a reader that would suit Calibre but Calibre Companion wont connect to my pc wifi. I have to go usb and Calibre will send books to my main memory - fine - but messy
Then I tried Google store for a ebook app and wasted a lot of time with real rubbish - full of aggressive adverts and wouldnt access my memory (google play books and Ereader) After a tedious day down dead ends i eventually found FBReader and at first sight it seems ok

So guys any comments, suggestions pls so i can get up to speed

Any links on sourcing Epub goodies?

What really gets my goat is that you pay for a Kindle book, but unlike print, you dont own it (only a single user license to use) and cant sell it on or even share it legally on your device.
Yet at the same time the kindle book is a similar price to a print copy and even more egregious, Kindle monopolises most of the out-of-copyright popular stuff as well. How did they get away with that?

sorry for the bile upchuck
robintes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robintes View Post

What really gets my goat is that you pay for a Kindle book, but unlike print, you dont own it (only a single user license to use) and cant sell it on or even share it legally on your device.
Yet at the same time the kindle book is a similar price to a print copy and even more egregious, Kindle monopolises most of the out-of-copyright popular stuff as well. How did they get away with that?

sorry for the bile upchuck
That actually goes for any commercial ebook, not only a Kindle book. And it's implemented by publishers, not by Amazon or other booksellers.

You can sideload to an eink Kindle just like to an eink Kobo or any other ereader out there. The books must be in the right format (azw3, kfx or mobi), but otherwise nothing stops you from sideloading to Kindles. I have about 3000 ebooks on my Kindle Oasis, all of them sideloaded from Calibre. Kobo readers work better with Calibre and are more customizable, but I don't find the actual reading experience on Kindles and Kobos to be that much different. As I said, I sideload all my ebooks, even those purchased from Amazon, Kobo or Google Play.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:36 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Any links on sourcing Epub goodies?
I confess I'm very unclear on what your main question is - but on this one, try the Mobileread Library right here.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:55 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
They don't? Project Gutenberg and the MobileRead library has a bunch of out of copyright books.

If you meant out of print but still under author copyright, then it was most likely the author's choice to put them on Amazon Kindle.

For new books, apart from library borrowing, your only other legitimate option is to pay whether it be Kindle, Kobo, Nook, etc. You won't get help from this forum with regards to illegal sources.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #5
robintes
Banned
robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robintes knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Android tablet, Kobo Forma
no dont get me wrong, i was asking for legitimate sources, not piracy
robintes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
no dont get me wrong, i was asking for legitimate sources, not piracy
You mean free? Or just DRM-free? If the latter, then Smashwords and Baen. Kobo, Google Play and Amazon also have many DRM-free ebooks. Yes, even Amazon.

If free, then your most obvious choices are public domain books. MobileRead Library and Project Gutenberg. Also various fanfiction sites (I'm not familiar with those).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote